20" Vs 21" Wheels Comfort and Handling

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A4, Porsche Taycan GTS ST, Jeep Cherokee XJ.
Country flag
21's all the way - my ST GTS is comfortable enough to justify bigger wheels and a slight (not really noticeable) loss in ride quality, the RS black wheels look the dogs.
Sponsored

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
I'm interested to see more informed opinions than mine from those with track/race setup experience- in the meantime, for what it's worth, I'd guess that wider tyres enable later braking (more grip and also, bigger wheels allow for bigger brakes), higher lateral grip and better acceleration off the line, but their lower profile means less sidewall to flex, so less progressive feel around the lateral grip limit (also less able to maintain contact when under high lateral load). So they might be more suited to disciplined smooth driving to get optimum lap times. OTH, the narrower, higher profile tyres on smaller wheels are more alive for fun driving (which is suboptimal for lap times), and have the advantage of more sidewall to flex to maintain contact under high lateral load (a reason why F1 tyres are so HIGH profile?).
(BTW I assume your PCM has been updated with your winter set)
Interesting observations, I’ll see how I get on but I will likely change back come the spring for looks alone. My PCM had its two day update and wheels changed over at the same time by Porsche Centre. But thanks for the reminder.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
21's all the way - my ST GTS is comfortable enough to justify bigger wheels and a slight (not really noticeable) loss in ride quality, the RS black wheels look the dogs.
I am surprised you didn't notice.
My first demo car had 20" wheels and I was super impressed by the ride.
The second time I drove a demo car, I was considering cancelling my order after a long wait, it was on 21" wheels and the first thing I noticed was how much poorer the ride was than I expected.

I nearly changed my order but didn't like the styling of any of the 20" wheels available for my car so didn't. The ride is acceptable but noticably worse IME.

I have 20" wheels of a style I like for my winter tyres and the ride is markedly better, as I experienced with 20" v 21" summer tyres on demo.

Ride is more important to me than looks - after all I can't see the outside when driving it - so at least I now have both sizes of wheel so could put summer tyres on the 20s if I want - but I probably won't.

Bakerman911

First Name
Luc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991 Targa, Porsche Taycan St, Mini JCW cab
Country flag
I'm still thinking about going to 22'' summer wheels :cool: :cool: :cool:
Sponsored