22KW charging

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan and 2019 Mercedes S560V
Country flag
I removed the 22kW charger from my order. I do think it requires 100 amps and needs hardwiring, and this may not even be possible in some older homes.

The faster charging speed initially sounded nice, but the majority of the time the car will charge back to 85% over night when I have much more than 4 hours available to charge. Add to the fact that Level 2 chargers are appearing at workplaces, shopping centers, etc and fast chargers are available which can deliver up to 85% in 20 minutes...I just don’t see the need for 4 hour charging at home. Especially since most of the time I’d be topping it up frequently. Slower charging is typically better for long term battery health too.

I also changed my mind on the PMCC and the dock after visiting this forum. You can get other EVSEs that have excellent reviews for half the price. Some of those have a track record of delivering 22kW if you do decide to go with the onboard charger upgrade.
When I got my 2020 Taycan, I was so upset I could not get the 19.2 kW because I was originally told if I wait a few months, it would be available. That, of course, never happened, so I ordered my car with the 9.8 kW charger.

I have been using this charger for months, and I believe you are correct that you really don't need it, especially at home. I almost never run the battery down that much, and I have never had an instance where it didn't have enough time to fully charge overnight, even when it was almost empty.

That being said, on my 2021 Taycan, I did order the 19.2 kW simply because it was available and now I would like that charger. I recently renovated my home, so I actually have several 100 AMP circuits ran in my garage, so it's not a problem for me. That being said, I will probably never use the capacity.

I doubt you will be unhappy with your decision.
Sponsored

Last edited:

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
I'm going to +1 what @LovinTaycan said above to @dan and agree with the lack of need for the higher/faster AC charging. Our home (built 1958) only has 100A service for the entire house, so my home charging is limited to a 50A breaker running 40A service. I have a Tesla charger, that I use an adapter to charge my non-Tesla EVs.

That said, everyones use-case is unique. For charging at home most of us are parked long enough that 32-48A range is more than ample. But for people who do 200+ miles a day there could be a use-case for 80A (19.2kW) charging. Here was my example:

There was a point over the last decade where we had a Tesla that had 80A ("dual chargers") and could charge at the proposed 19.2kW being discussed here. On a few occasions I would need to run a long distance errand that would deplete my car of range, but I'd end up back at my office for just a few hours. At my place of work I had access to an 80A charger (100A breaker). In my 100kWh Tesla battery pack, that meant that I could fully charge in just 5 hours; or in my case, I was adding nearly (but not quite) 20% SOC every hour I was charging. So being back at work for 2 hours would give me back nearly 40% of my charge, it was crazy!

But, this was rare. I was not often needing to charge that fast. Normally I'm at work for 6+ hours. Our work line is 208V as is typical for commercial, and the newer Tesla vehicles are 48A max. This works out to 10kW speed; and on the model 3/Y that we've had more recently, a full charge is under 8 hours. Since I'd set the max to 90% SOC and I rarely showed up to work below 30%, that meant I only needed to add 60% back-- which at 10kW on a 75kWh battery (model 3/Y) meant under 5 hours needed. Again, 48A was ample; and this is with a 6-8 hour work day. If you're talking about overnight, even in the bigger battery Taycan, you're not likely to need more than 48A.

(There are cases, where maybe you had a busy day running errands, and need to add range back before your evening plans-- but I'd guess for many this is few/far between. And again, the need to hardware a 100A breaker for 80A use adds cost, and for many, a complication given many houses only have 100A full service; so the cost to add a 2nd 100A line/service is $$$) -- Hope this helps others who may read this down the road and are on the fence about the 19.2kW charger. That said, if you can afford it, better to have it on the car, even if you never really use/need it!

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
In the rare occasions when I need to charge faster than overnight, I have stopped at the Electrify America chargers that are about 10 minutes from my house. I plug into a 150kW charger and in 30 minutes I'm above 80% SOC for free.

TIM

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes!
Country flag
I would recommend the 22 kW option for Switzerland, not for home use but for public charging network (in mall etc...) is almost everytime 22 kW AC. So when you do some shopping it's nicer to have the full power ;) .

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Thanks Tim. Do you also use the 22KW charger at home? I already have a Tesla Wall Charger at home and wondering whether to stick with that or install the 22KW Porsche charger. Based in CH. expect to use predominantly overnight home charging with occasional use of the Ionity chargers for road trips.
Sponsored