4s vs turbo

BrummBrumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
These figures are really nice information (from where did you get it?), to see that overboost shifts curves upwards for turbo S and rightwards for turbo. Are such figures also available for 4S (plus), or is it just as simple as using turbo figures and scale green (blue) curves for rear axle torque (combined power) by some factor?

Is also my understanding correct, that you can basically jump from upper to lower figures for 2.3 seconds (overboost time, for start or speed burst)? How long is recovery time todo this again? And what would be the difference compared to manual launch control activation when starting from standstill? Many questions ...

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
Porsche Taycan brochure shows it being over 10% quicker from 50-75mph so it can't be all about the launch control. It's about the overboost which is not exclusively used for launch control.

TK-421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS - 2021 Cayenne
Country flag
Porsche Taycan brochure shows it being over 10% quicker from 50-75mph so it can't be all about the launch control. It's about the overboost which is not exclusively used for launch control.
From which brochure are you getting that 10% figure? The NA printed, as well as the NA digital brochures I have, make no mention of that? Could you post a picture or a link?

So many factors go into a side by side comparison of these two cars at the track or on the street. SOC, battery temperature, human delta depressing the accelerators at the same rate, and the same time on a rolling race start, driver weight, option delta between the cars, all play a significant factor. Even when using a timing device on the same track, one after the other, the margin of error is within a tenth of a second, which from 50-75mph would be within the 10%.

Can you please post references for the comment that overboost is not exclusively used for launch control? I have searched all of the documentation I have accumulated as well as spoken to my salesman, and my dealers certified tech, and they are of the opinion that it is only in launch mode. Following is just one excerpt from Porsche documentation on the subject.

“Launch Control enables maximum acceleration from a standstill and is a standard feature in the Taycan. It uses an overboost function where the electric motors are provided with more power. In the Taycan Turbo S, a power output of 560 kW is provided at this point.”

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
From which brochure are you getting that 10% figure? The NA printed, as well as the NA digital brochures I have, make no mention of that? Could you post a picture or a link?

So many factors go into a side by side comparison of these two cars at the track or on the street. SOC, battery temperature, human delta depressing the accelerators at the same rate, and the same time on a rolling race start, driver weight, option delta between the cars, all play a significant factor. Even when using a timing device on the same track, one after the other, the margin of error is within a tenth of a second, which from 50-75mph would be within the 10%.

Can you please post references for the comment that overboost is not exclusively used for launch control? I have searched all of the documentation I have accumulated as well as spoken to my salesman, and my dealers certified tech, and they are of the opinion that it is only in launch mode. Following is just one excerpt from Porsche documentation on the subject.

“Launch Control enables maximum acceleration from a standstill and is a standard feature in the Taycan. It uses an overboost function where the electric motors are provided with more power. In the Taycan Turbo S, a power output of 560 kW is provided at this point.”
If you look at the technical specification in the configurator for each model, you will see the figures.
For the 4S it is stated as 2.3 s for 80 to 120 km/h
For the Turbo it is stated as 1.9 s
For the Turbo S it is stated as 1.7 s

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag

From the regular Taycan brochure.

Porsche Taycan 4s vs turbo Screenshot_20200721-172718

Cilviloze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, MB E class, MB S class, Alphard
Country flag
I've now test driven both 4s and turbo.

The difference between 4s and turbo is larger than I expected. 4S is certainly fast enough for me, but I really like the feeling of too much, too quick in turbo. It was insanely fast and I really like it.

Had I not tried the turbo, I'd go for 4S no problem.

My lock date is early Nov. I hope that switching to turbo won't delay the delivery date for too long.

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
I've now test driven both 4s and turbo.

The difference between 4s and turbo is larger than I expected. 4S is certainly fast enough for me, but I really like the feeling of too much, too quick in turbo. It was insanely fast and I really like it.

Had I not tried the turbo, I'd go for 4S no problem.

My lock date is early Nov. I hope that switching to turbo won't delay the delivery date for too long.
Don’t try the Turbo S then :)

My experience from owning a couple of Tesla S, the last one was a S Performance with 0-100 in 2,6 sec, is that after a while you don’t use the maximum power. It is simply too fast and isn’t pleasant. I was torn between a 4S+ and a Turbo but with a price diff of 47k $, I asked myself how many times I will really use the 0,6/0,7 sec faster 0-100 sprint. Going to use the car as a daily driver so went with the 4S+ with some nice options, e.g. Burmester sound system :)

Last edited:

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Don’t try the Turbo S then :)

My experience from owning a couple of Tesla S, the last one was a S Performance with 0-100 in 2,6 sec, is that after a while you don’t use the maximum power. It is simply too fast and isn’t pleasant.
This. The speed is fun to mess with people that have never ridden in it before once.. then they'll ask you not to do it again, it's much less fun and more unsettling as a passenger.

Plus you really have to baby the Turbo S in real world twisty road driving and even the Turbo to an extent or you'll torque steer right off the road. The 4S lets you really attack backroads and enjoy the "mid engine" type balance of the car, IMHO. But I'm one of the "cars are getting too fast" types.

Just depends what you find more fun.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
Actually....slightly more power up to roughly 60kmh.
CF946C21-5818-4F49-8D57-B1108636F52F.jpeg
According to Porsche, overboost is only supposed to last 2.5s during launch control. So how come the launch control graph shows extra power at all speeds?