4s vs turbo

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I went through the same thing, and decided I'd rather just pay the extra to have an average-optioned Turbo vs. a heavily-optioned 4S.
I did the same. I originally ordered a heavily optioned 4S, but when I realized how little extra a turbo would be with the same options, I changed my order to a turbo.
Sponsored

TK-421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS - 2021 Cayenne
Country flag
I drove 4s and turbo back to back on same loop. I bought the turbo. Wasn’t even a close decision for me. The extra 130+ HP in non launch mode and the extra 90ish in launch mode is a no brainer, for me, especially on a car this heavy. If the S had 130 more HP in regular driving mode over the turbo, I would have had a very hard decision. However in non launch mode the minor increase in power/torque below 30mph was too difficult to justify the extra money. Ultimately I decided to save the money from the upgrade to the S and put it towards a highly specced turbo, as the extra two seconds of horsepower boost from launch mode was not worth it to me, but the extra funds for options was.

If you have any intention of specing up the 4S, in my opinion the turbo easily justifies the price increase. The upgrade to Porsche Surface Coated Brakes (PSCB), over the steel brakes is another HUGE plus.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
I have the 4S and it is great, but I do say, as launching is so darn easy to do, in launch control I think I'd prefer the Turbo. In regular driving, I didn't miss it yet and don't expect to.

MWarsaw

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My 4S was expensive when optioned out with all the goodies. I did want more boost on launch and I keep it in Sport plus every time. It’s my daily driver and for that it is more than enough. I have an F Type R that is the same 0-60 time but feels faster probably due to the amazing exhaust note. I would probably try to get the turbo next time, but I’m quite satisfied having all the options for a daily driver. Either way, get what you can afford or want to spend. You can’t go wrong as this car is amazing and totally feels like the future. By the way, I can’t stop looking at it. It’s even better in person. Absolutely beautiful.

The 4S is plenty fast, but you have to put it in Sport mode - as discussed plenty of times, I wish the car did not default to Normal each time. My wife has a faster car (the model 3 performance) and I had the P85D before. I am not missing the extra speed at all. If you get the turbo, the same will apply re sport mode. So my advice is drive back to back the cars in sport mode and decide which you enjoy most.

Re comparison with other ICE turbo Porsche models. On paper they may be as fast or faster, in practice the instant torque of the EV is hard to beat im daily driving. Ask yourself how often you use launch control when at a stop light..... You don't need that with an EV
Porsche Taycan 4s vs turbo C5134DFA-BDE6-43C2-9D64-0567103E5F4B

Porsche Taycan 4s vs turbo 279611B9-2CFD-46B0-9922-02DDC4CFFB93

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
By the way, I can’t stop looking at it. It’s even better in person. Absolutely beautiful.
Couldn‘t agree more - the car is gorgeous. I had it in my driveway yesterday and pulled up a chair and gazed at the front end while on yet another Zoom meeting. The view down the hood with bulging fenders is incredible. And that rear end...:devil:

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag
I fundamentally agree it’s all in what you want, and the OP clearly has a preference. For me, this is to be my new DD, and as such I do want the options that I want. That totals a 4S at $132K, a comparable Turbo is $161K. The 4S is a significant improvement over my current BMW and all around the best car I’ve ever driven (except for the Turbo S that I got t test drive as well). Is $29K worth the extra power? For the pure fun factor, WHY NOT? For the reality check that I will almost never really be able to take advantage of this extra oomph? just draws into question how likely I will actually enjoy that extra $29K...for me the answer is no and that killed the Turbo. I’m thrilled with the 4S that I have coming...eventually

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
I am in the same boat. The price is relatively the same but I would be missing out on a lot of things like; 4ws, Passenger Display, 21 Alloys... However I think I will end up just going for the 4s as I fear i'll get the turbo and wish I had a few of the extra comforts.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Maybe one more thought: Rear axle steering might make more of an impact on driving experience than the step 4S->Turbo. But I am speaking not of experience regarding the steering.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I went through the exercise when I ordered the P85D - skipped some options to keep price under 130k. After a short while, I realized I hardly ever do full throttle launches and that I was missing the more plush interior. So with the Taycan I went the other way - less power, more options, happy with my 4S. I can however perfectly understand those opting for the Turbo / Turbo S. Perhaps 20 years ago I would have done the same.

MWarsaw

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My 4S has all the goodies like 4 wheel steering which is truly awesome, air suspension, 18 way seats which are the most comfortable I’ve ever had, Porsche inno drive (which you learn to appreciate) and the fire extinguisher (which is a cool little package under the passenger seat) among many more things. Oh, and the carbon fiber mirrors are so good in person (especially on light color cars).

I went through the exercise when I ordered the P85D - skipped some options to keep price under 130k. After a short while, I realized I hardly ever do full throttle launches and that I was missing the more plush interior. So with the Taycan I went the other way - less power, more options, happy with my 4S. I can however perfectly understand those opting for the Turbo / Turbo S. Perhaps 20 years ago I would have done the same.

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
First congrats on either but reading the tea leaves it seems you want the turbo and I agree add ons are extra pricey with 4s.
. I’m glad I went turbo model, love the extra “pop”
Have fun !!!

2C8B0595-4877-4DF0-AB15-BA20F06226BC.jpeg
This looks terrific and my color + wheel build too. I decided however to go for the extra range and get lots of goodies. West coast USA has long distances to the beach with spotty or non-existent Electrify America. Just one critical EA that is typically 50% or more offline. Given that, I decided on the 4S. I’ll have it in just over a week.

Last edited:

LivingWithPorsches

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan 4S (July '20), ‘66 Porsche 912, ‘11 987 Spyder
Country flag
I test drove a Turbo at the dealer in Jan and it was fast as heck, but that was about 8 weeks after I placed my 4S order (which was the only allocation the dealer could provide if I didn't want to wait).

My 4S is $141,480 but the same spec on the Turbo would be $171,000 so it's about $30k difference between the two. I've had plenty of fast cars and I don't see taking my Taycan to open track days, so really I wanted the car to have all the features I wanted even if it isn't quite as fast. I hate getting speeding tickets so generally I'm not ripping around that fast anyway.

It will be interesting to see how big of a difference I feel when I get it. The thing on the Turbo that stood out the most was the immediate torque at speed. It's pretty intoxicating.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I test drove a Turbo at the dealer in Jan and it was fast as heck, but that was about 8 weeks after I placed my 4S order (which was the only allocation the dealer could provide if I didn't want to wait).

My 4S is $141,480 but the same spec on the Turbo would be $171,000 so it's about $30k difference between the two. I've had plenty of fast cars and I don't see taking my Taycan to open track days, so really I wanted the car to have all the features I wanted even if it isn't quite as fast. I hate getting speeding tickets so generally I'm not ripping around that fast anyway.

It will be interesting to see how big of a difference I feel when I get it. The thing on the Turbo that stood out the most was the immediate torque at speed. It's pretty intoxicating.
I got the 4S for the all the same reasons as you. The torque of the 4S off the line depends on what mode you are in. Recently, I have been driving in Sport Plus or Sport. It is plenty fast and torquey off the line. The other day I was at a yield sign on a merge lane. I had my head turned to watch on coming traffic. I saw a gap in traffic and went for it. I did not have my skull on the headrest. The side of my head slammed into the seat back. It was quite violent and startling, but it made me smile.:surprised:

• :surprised:

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I haven't driven the Turbo yet because my dealer only has two 4Ses outside & a $210k Turbo S in the showroom. But I know the deal - the 4S is about as fast as my Macan Turbo, which has the older 3.6L (no replacement for displacement!), a tune, and an exhaust. The Turbo is melt-your-face-off fast. I don't need to drive it to know I'd rather have the Turbo. ‍:like:
Actually if you skip testing launch control the Turbo and Turbo S will ethe same power so you can just test-drive the Turbo S to get a feel. The turbo S "just" has an extra 80hp in Launch Control to drop the 0-60 from 3.0s to 2.6s reported, actual times are lower in Porsche fassion :cool: .

Edit: I stand corrected by TK-421, see his post below with power and torque graphs of the Turbo and Turbo S. I really recall hearing that the Turbo S expended no more power in non-Launch mode, but I am very happy to be mistaken. I knew it had the larger front inverter the same size as the rear inverter in the Turbo so it certainly makes sense that it can generate more power.

Considering the 7:42 time on the Nurburgring was with an early production Turbo, it will be exciting to see a Turbo S time. Hoping Misha gets a chance with the car.

Last edited:

TK-421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS - 2021 Cayenne
Country flag
Actually if you skip testing launch control the Turbo and Turbo S will ethe same power so you can just test-drive the Turbo S to get a feel. The turbo S "just" has an extra 80hp in Launch Control to drop the 0-60 from 3.0s to 2.6s reported, actual times are lower in Porsche fassion :cool: .
Actually....slightly more power up to roughly 60kmh.
Porsche Taycan 4s vs turbo CF946C21-5818-4F49-8D57-B1108636F52F
Sponsored