4s vs Turbo

DennisB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Both brilliant cars. Test drove the 4S, but bought the Turbo. No regrets whatever. Also like the rear bumper more with the painted spoiler beneath.

If you like speed, as I do, the Turbo is the way to go. Forget the launch control, because you'll barely use it, only to impress your passengers. I almost never experienced someone standing next to me at the stoplight requesting a dragrace. If the other car has no intention of doing this, I look stupid taking of like a rocket. And if the guy steps on the pedal I'm already to late engaging my launch control. The acceleration is a totally different story, this is something I use on a daily basis. And the feeling never gets boring. I would almost say I wouldn't mind if it was a little more above the 100kmh.

Handling is great although it's a heavy car, but what I'm able to do with this car in longer bends is blowing my mind. Low center of gravity and with the wider tires I have it's glued to the road. I never experienced this with another car.
Sponsored

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Handling is great although it's a heavy car, but what I'm able to do with this car in longer bends is blowing my mind. Low center of gravity and with the wider tires I have it's glued to the road. I never experienced this with another car.
I recognize this feeling even in a base CT. Especially on twisting mountain roads the handling is phenomenal

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
I ordered a 4S but got to the point on the options list where there really wasn't a massive difference then going to Turbo via finance (damn that configurator...). Sensibly I should have stuck to 4S and my original options limit....but will be nice not worrying that every EV6 or Model 3 might be a GT or performance and smoke me (in a totally stupid lizard brain nonsensical way...)

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
There is no doubt that the Taycan is a great car. But like other automakers, Porsche will learn a lot from their first EV, and I believe that we will see many improvements the next couple of years - both on the Taycan and other Porsche EVs.

I was also in doubt regarding 4S and Turbo, but a 47.000$ price difference (my specific spec) was simply too much to justify. The 4S is already a superb daily driver and plenty acceleration 99% of the time.

So the money I saved on my 4S I’ll put aside to on an even more impressive Taycan in 2-3 years ?

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I was also in doubt regarding 4S and Turbo, but a 47.000$ price difference (my specific spec) was simply too much to justify. The 4S is already a superb daily driver and plenty acceleration 99% of the time.
At least as of a few months ago (seems like the market changes daily), the smaller demand for the Turbo/Turbo-S resulted in larger % discounts from dealers on those compared to 4S/RWD. I pulled the trigger on a Turbo and due to the negotiations ended up not much different from a 4S.... in fact, a local 4S was priced higher than my final loaded Turbo price and that dealer refused to budge.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
So, I've put a deposit on a turbo, but I'm thinking that I'd be fine with a base model or 4S with the sport design package and mission e wheels.

Is there anyone out there who went with a base model or 4S, but is regretting their decision now?
I came from a 911 Targa 4S into a well-optioned Taycan base.

At first I was a little frustrated by the lack of power, wishing it had juuuuuust a tiny bit more....mostly because my wife's Model 3 RWD feels faster. Both of those cars felt faster than the Targa though, due to the instant torque.

Honestly the Taycan 4S did not feel much different from the base to me, and I'm happy to have that money into options like the 21" Mission E wheels, etc.

As I've gotten used to the car I'm pretty happy with the power/price balance of the base.

I -have- considered optioning a new one, but not to go up to a 4S...I'd prefer Guards Red and now I can get it on the 2022.

DrLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (one day)
Country flag
I bought the 4S as could not get a turbo allocation. I specced it pretty much as a Turbo (sport package, wheels, brakes, seats, leather, headliner, Bose etc) and the price difference was less than 10% to a comparable turbo. Given the chance I would have had the turbo due to expected better resale value. But I really don’t think I miss out on anything in the 4S. Its really brilliant. I agree the in normal its not psycho fast but passengers appriciate that. I love switching the dial to sport plus and having the extra performance then. So no regrets and a very happy camper i a 4S.
I'm in the exact same situation (though I can't find a 4S either, but the dealers I've talked to think it would be easier to get one sooner than a Turbo). I think at this point I'm going to hope that the GTS opens for ordering soon. I don't personally want the Turbo for the speed, but more for what gets included as standard, so the GTS should help with that too compared to 4S.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
There is an easy solution. Go to the middle: GTS. Configurable from 11.17 (according to the infos we've got on the forum, from different sources. )

OP
OP
ponomo

ponomo

First Name
janalyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking to purchase mamba Taycan
Country flag
At least as of a few months ago (seems like the market changes daily), the smaller demand for the Turbo/Turbo-S resulted in larger % discounts from dealers on those compared to 4S/RWD. I pulled the trigger on a Turbo and due to the negotiations ended up not much different from a 4S.... in fact, a local 4S was priced higher than my final loaded Turbo price and that dealer refused to budge.
That brings up an interesting question... can I actually negotiate the price on a new vehicle? I honestly thought the prices were fixed, at least in Canada. However, if there is any hope in negotiating, I'll give it a try!

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So, I've put a deposit on a turbo, but I'm thinking that I'd be fine with a base model or 4S with the sport design package and mission e wheels.

I absolutely hate to waste money on things that won't bring me a sufficient upgrade in pleasure or function. My previous love was a 911, so I'm going to be a bit disappointed with the handling regardless of what I choose

Is there anyone out there who went with a base model or 4S, but is regretting their decision now? Cost is not really a factor, I just don't want to be wasteful. I'm not a speed junky nor do I plan to take it to the track, although I do like to hit the on ramps with a bit of juice :)

I absolutely hate to waste money on things that won't bring me a sufficient upgrade in pleasure or function. My previous love was a 911, so I'm going to be a bit disappointed with the handling regardless of what I choose.

Is there anyone out there who went with a base model or 4S, but is regretting their decision now? Cost is not really a factor, I just don't want to be wasteful. I'm not a speed junky nor do I plan to take it to the track, although I do like to hit the on ramps with a bit of juice :)
I was on the horns of the same dilemma and I bought the 4S reasoning that the nearly $50-100K difference between the 4S, the Turbo and Turbo S would simply be a matter of 0-60 acceleration times. The cars are nearly identical outside of that one metric—they handle the same, have essentially the same interface bells and whistles (depending on your configuration).

Save the money and buy your wife the Audi Q4 and a trip to Paris and stay at Le Bristol. you’ll still be thousands ahead!

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S and Fiat 500e La Prima
Country flag
Short version. For me, in the UK, with my limited skill set the 4S is an abundance of riches. I’d bet you’d love either.

Long version…….

Subjectively, the standing start acceleration in my 4S CT is less than the AMG 63s I came out of (despite being broadly the same on paper). Equally subjectively though, it’s delivered in such a different manner that it’s awfully hard to draw comparisons. The Taycan is metronomic in its ability to deliver grip and go acceleration even in some of the, sadly, too typical British late autumn weather. It’s an absolute master class in that regard. I suspect I find it is “slower” because of that very lack of drama and noise. It’s still the 0-30 that makes me smile, and I’ve not even tried launch control yet. That instantaneous transition from stationary to rapid forward movement is a whole and joyous new experience to me and I don’t think it’ll wear off any time soon.

With regards to 4S v Turbo, I thought long and hard about the two and whether or not to take the plunge and go up a model. On balance, I think I made the right choice for two reasons. One, I could spec my car to my heart’s content within the budget that would maintain ongoing marital harmony. Two, in the UK (as has been mentioned earlier) our roads tend not to be the long straight types, begging for the extra power of the Turbo. Having done around 500 miles since having the car delivered a week ago, I’ve spent a lot of time on the twisty A and B roads (less of these as the width is causing me to blanch at every blind corner and crest!) and the punch of the 4S on the short straights allows me to make indecently rapid progress. Having then been able to spec PDCC, power steering plus and PTV (see previous comment re budget) makes the corners a hoot too when I arrive.

I’ll be taking it on a more mundane commute to London next week so it’ll be interesting to see if I find it lacking when on the M25 with Innodrive to take up the slack of avoiding the slack-jawed (not wholly convinced by this feature thus far, hopefully motorways will bring it into focus).

Not sure if any of the above will be helpful but thank you for allowing me my catharsis.

Anyhow, the sun is coming up on a crisp morning here so I’m off to go and discharge some more battery in the pursuit of further Taycan learning….

OP
OP
ponomo

ponomo

First Name
janalyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking to purchase mamba Taycan
Country flag
Save the money and buy your wife the Audi Q4 and a trip to Paris and stay at Le Bristol. you’ll still be thousands ahead!
Sounds good to me.... except for the wife part. Maybe I'll take myself(F) and my girlfriends somewhere with the savings. It's a great suggestion, really!

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting point, but both 4S and Turbo have the same gear box so won't downshift timing be the same. The extra HP in the turbo will make up for the delay (I haven't really noticed a delay, but if it is there...) and make up for the delay.
So I was wondering, does the quietness of the Taycan mask the feelng of acceleration? The car just leaps to speed. Not a lot of fanfare.
Yes downshifting will be the same but I haven't noticed any lag at all. As for Teslas I school even the performance models in my 4S for mid range acceleration and i have owned both

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I test drove the Turbo S, Turbo, and 4S before buying the 4S.

If you want the options on the 4S that are standard on the Turbo you are looking at about $25,000 to go 0.8 seconds faster to 60 and have less range with the Turbo. For me, the 4S is more than fast enough and the Turbo is dangerously fast and has unusable speed in an urban environment. So, I decided not the spend the extra money. To each their own.
Sponsored