WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
Yesterday my wife and I had a small project to do that was about 85 miles away so decided to experiment with two different driving styles there and back to compare range. This is certainly not a scientific study but here’s what I found. The drive is mostly flat, about 80% highway and the remaining 20% on side roads with 35 – 45mph speed limits and relatively few stop signs/lights. On the way there, I drove in a style to get good ‘mileage’ and on the return I did a spirited drive. I have a 4S with 20” all seasons. Weather was clear and about 58F both ways. Battery was not preconditioned either way and the car sat for about 3 hours outdoors charging on a Clipper Creek in between. Battery was 66F starting the first leg and 78F starting the return leg.

Implied total range on the drive there was about 300 miles and on the return was about 250 miles. This is really pretty encouraging to me knowing that I can count on total range between 250 – 300 miles in decent weather and that I can control where in that range I am with driving style.

On the way there, I ran in Range mode, mostly on cruise control and stayed under 70mph. – total trip duration of 1:32hours and 28.4 kWh/100miles. I left with 85% SOC and arrived at 57%. Total implied range of about 303 miles. I was mostly between 65 - 70mph, so maybe I could eek a bit more range out if I stayed closer to 60-65mph (which is really hard to do lol).
Porsche Taycan 85mi drive comparing range - Range Mode going and Sport+ returning 1616934650085

On the way back, I ran in mostly Sport+ mode at higher speeds. Total trip duration of 1:27hours and 34.7kwh/100 miles. I left with 85% SOC and arrived at 51%. Total implied range of about 250 miles. The battery was a warm 78F to start the return trip so probably that helped improve range some.
Porsche Taycan 85mi drive comparing range - Range Mode going and Sport+ returning 1616934676280

Last edited:

Longy_UK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Yes, thank you, this is very interesting.

Funnily enough this shows that there is simply no point in going faster on a journey. You saved all of 5minutes.

What are the speed limits where you are?

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
Yesterday my wife and I had a small project to do that was about 85 miles away so decided to experiment with two different driving styles there and back to compare range. This is certainly not a scientific study but here’s what I found. The drive is mostly flat, about 80% highway and the remaining 20% on side roads with 35 – 45mph speed limits and relatively few stop signs/lights. On the way there, I drove in a style to get good ‘mileage’ and on the return I did a spirited drive. I have a 4S with 20” all seasons. Weather was clear and about 58F both ways. Battery was not preconditioned either way and the car sat for about 3 hours outdoors charging on a Clipper Creek in between. Battery was 66F starting the first leg and 78F starting the return leg.

Implied total range on the drive there was about 300 miles and on the return was about 250 miles. This is really pretty encouraging to me knowing that I can count on total range between 250 – 300 miles in decent weather and that I can control where in that range I am with driving style.

On the way there, I ran in Range mode, mostly on cruise control and stayed under 70mph. – total trip duration of 1:32hours and 28.4 kWh/100miles. I left with 85% SOC and arrived at 57%. Total implied range of about 303 miles. I was mostly between 65 - 70mph, so maybe I could eek a bit more range out if I stayed closer to 60-65mph (which is really hard to do lol).
1616934650085.png

On the way back, I ran in mostly Sport+ mode at higher speeds. Total trip duration of 1:27hours and 34.7kwh/100 miles. I left with 85% SOC and arrived at 51%. Total implied range of about 250 miles. The battery was a warm 78F to start the return trip so probably that helped improve range some.
1616934676280.png
I did something similar back in March 2021 right after I took delivery of my car. I posted this back then..........

A couple of weeks ago I posted that I would be 'testing' the three different modes on my Taycan - Normal, Sport, Range. Here are the basics - 4S with Mission E's; 72 mile round trip; 68-72 degrees; partly cloudy. This was a normal drive, keeping up with traffic with no quick starts, etc. Charged to 85% on departure from home, parked in same parking spot at the mall, had lunch and returned home. Left at 11:00AM or so each day and encountered similar traffic both ways. So here are the results:

Normal drive mode
Leaving home estimated SOC mileage 195. Returning home the car had 57% charge, 131 estimated remaining miles.

Sport drive mode
Leaving home estimated SOC mileage 198. Returning home the car had 57% charge, 130 estimated remaining miles.

Range drive mode
Leaving home estimated SOC mileage 210. Returning home the car had 59% charge, 149 estimated remaining miles.

What was surprising to me was the almost identical results for Normal and Sport modes particularly on the return to home SOC as well as estimated remaining miles. Conclusion............................always drive in Sport Mode!!!😁