TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
@Mr.Smith thank you, thank you, thank you, for posting this!
This is so exciting!
1. Tesla still doesn't sell 'crate motors' and you need to get these out of a wrecked car. That is interesting....for many reasons.
a. This could be a HUGE market to the first MFG that would be willing to sell a 'crate EV drive-train' to the market and warranty it.
b. Would LOVE if Rimac choose to do this under another name.
c. This gives me reason to look for the totaled Rimac that Richard Hammond Crashed :) as well as other newer Taycan Turbo S......perhaps I give the insurance companies a call and let them know that their 'totaled EV' might have some salvage value ;)
2. This will give new way to the rEsto-mod options.
3. This could give way to new companies that solely focus on EV drive-train development and then sell this to other MFG's (think Rouch, Hennessey, Katech, Hartley, etc.) and customers direct.
4. If someone goes into this market, it could be more cost effective to convert blown engines over to EV and meet government mandates.

Personally, I love a '68 or '69 either Camaro or Mustang fastback. I have been on the verge of purchasing about a dozen of those over the years and have backed out for a couple of reasons.
1. It was too restored and/or two new/stock and was more of a collector car that is designed to be kept as an investment vs. driving.
2. It was too modified with massive changes to accommodate an updated coyote engine and was a little suspect of all the 'garage engineering' of new drive-train, chassis, reliability with the extra power/weight.

This just put me on my next 'antique roadshow' or 'American Pickers' escapade, to try and find a late 60's Camaro/Mustang with good bones and crappy engine/no-engine and a totaled Tesla/Taycan that has the power-train intact....seems like a needle in the haystack at this point, but at least I know the company that can put it together for me....Zelectric!

Fun stuff!

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
This is so exciting!
1. Tesla still doesn't sell 'crate motors' and you need to get these out of a wrecked car. That is interesting....for many reasons.
a. This could be a HUGE market to the first MFG that would be willing to sell a 'crate EV drive-train' to the market and warranty it.
c. This gives me reason to look for the totaled Rimac that Richard Hammond Crashed :) as well as other newer Taycan Turbo S......perhaps I give the insurance companies a call and let them know that their 'totaled EV' might have some salvage value ;)
3. This could give way to new companies that solely focus on EV drive-train development and then sell this to other MFG's (think Rouch, Hennessey, Katech, Hartley, etc.) and customers direct.
4. If someone goes into this market, it could be more cost effective to convert blown engines over to EV and meet government mandates.

Personally, I love a '68 or '69 either Camaro or Mustang fastback. I have been on the verge of purchasing about a dozen of those over the years and have backed out for a couple of reasons.
1. It was too restored and/or two new/stock and was more of a collector car that is designed to be kept as an investment vs. driving.
2. It was too modified with massive changes to accommodate an updated coyote engine and was a little suspect of all the 'garage engineering' of new drive-train, chassis, reliability with the extra power/weight.

This just put me on my next 'antique roadshow' or 'American Pickers' escapade, to try and find a late 60's Camaro/Mustang with good bones and crappy engine/no-engine and a totaled Tesla/Taycan that has the power-train intact....seems like a needle in the haystack at this point, but at least I know the company that can put it together for me....Zelectric!

Fun stuff!
Ford offers a crate EV motor:
https://insideevs.com/news/529286/ford-eluminator-crate-motor-specs/

OP
OP
Mr.Smith

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
This is so exciting!

Fun stuff!
I love the concept, but I would be concerned with reliability.
Not a fan of additional weight due to batteries.
I have no desire to drive an ICE car, unless it's a special sport car.

Terrible to ruin a classic.
They don't cut anything, they keep most of it stock, but replace the VW parts.

What i Imagine is a carbon fiber, lightweight, small, modern EV based on the newest Porsche technology.

Last edited: