First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.1 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Morning all,

I was test driving a 4s the other day and when I planted my foot to the floor (in normal drive mode) there was a delay in the acceleration. If was as if the car was changing gear, then it took off. Is this normal? I don't think it happened when I put it in Sports Plus mode.

Also, is it possible to drive the Taycan with one pedal i.e. with high regen? The test car had a full battery so I wasn't able to see how the regen works. When I test drove the Etron GT it wasn't possible to one pedal drive.

Thanks

Mike
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Morning all,

I was test driving a 4s the other day and when I planted my foot to the floor (in normal drive mode) there was a delay in the acceleration. If was as if the car was changing gear, then it took off. Is this normal? I don't think it happened when I put it in Sports Plus mode.

Also, is it possible to drive the Taycan with one pedal i.e. with high regen? The test car had a full battery so I wasn't able to see how the regen works. When I test drove the Etron GT it wasn't possible to one pedal drive.

Thanks

Mike
It could have been changing gear. In normal mode it only changes down with full throttle like kick down, in sport mode it may well be in lower gear already.

The Taycan doesn't have a one-pedal drive mode but it does have excellent calibration of the brake pedal, which I personally much prefer.

I expect one pedal driving is a good thing where regen isn't very well blended with friction braking (or I suppose if it isn't used by the brake pedal, though I don't know if any EV is that crude).

I dislike one pedal driving myself but have now got used to it on my Husqvarna ride on mower where I have no choice!

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
@fullmetalbaal has commented several times that they experience this delay in normal also. I always drive in sport and never experience this issue.
No. The overrun recup (recup when you lift off of the accelerator) isn’t strong enough for one pedal driving. You will need to use the brake pedal (which also uses regen).

OP
OP

Weston

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.1 Taycan 4s
Country flag
thanks both, I though that was the case. My Ipace has one pedal braking and it's just something I've got very used to. Except when I forget that the battery is fully charged and the regen isn't active!!

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
thanks both, I though that was the case. My Ipace has one pedal braking and it's just something I've got very used to. Except when I forget that the battery is fully charged and the regen isn't active!!
I keep meaning to test this, but I haven’t gotten to it yet. I’ll try to remember to do when I’m home this weekend.

But I would expect the regen to be active at full charge, just possibly at a reduced level.

The reason I expect it to typically be active is that the energy recup’ed comes from the car. The energy the car has typically would have come from the battery originally. So, as soon as you start driving, you’ve made room for that energy to be recup’ed. And since the energy recup’ed will typically be less than the energy used, there should be room for it.

The exception is starting at 100% and going downhill, which I think @feye has experience with and has made comments on.

The reason for the reduce rate would be the rate the battery can charge at the high SoC.

Separately, I agree with @f1eng that the brake pedal implementation is very good.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
I used High on my iPace for first 2.5 years and enjoyed it but since ordering the Taycan have switched it to low and am actually enjoying that too, feels like a new car. Most of my miles are motorway so actually preferring low on those trips (was never minded to keep manually flipping). Don't think you'll take too long to get used to it. Shame you can't turn creep off in the Taycan like you can in the iPace though, personal preference and all that but it seems rather a legacy of the old auto ICE.

FMO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD (MY21)
Country flag
Morning all,

Thanks

Mike
I spend most of my time in range mode for ambling around town in heavy traffic but when I need to pull away from a dawdling cab/ipace at the lights there is the exact sensation you describe - a pause and a small jolt as the gear kicks down - I have only ever experienced this in range mode although I am never in anything other than range or sport individual (sport plus on all but ride firmness…) so perhaps it is something that also happens in normal or sport … I actually enjoy the downshift!

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
I spend most of my time in range mode for ambling around town in heavy traffic but when I need to pull away from a dawdling cab/ipace at the lights there is the exact sensation you describe - a pause and a small jolt as the gear kicks down - I have only ever experienced this in range mode although I am never in anything other than range or sport individual (sport plus on all but ride firmness…) so perhaps it is something that also happens in normal or sport … I actually enjoy the downshift!
hahah, I never dawdle in my iPace....though its mad that we are now talking of 4.5 - 60 to be "slow". Actually, I do lie, I dawdle when charging as that is what has aged in the car. The rest I still enjoy thoroughly (just as well as I probably won't see my Taycan order for a year....)

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
Morning all,

Thanks

Mike
To get around this I setup my individual mode with comfort suspension but sport dynamics so it stays in 1st until about 77mph.

The auto-regen is quite interesting, not quite one pedal, but it brakes for you with regen if there is a car in front.
Sponsored