Larry Martin

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1960 Roadster
Country flag
Yesterday we picked up our 4S from Marin Porsche (great dealership) and enjoyed the drive home except we never could get the air conditioning cold. The outside temp was only in the high 70’s so we first tried Eco-Air and pushed the temp control to low, and only slightly cool air came out. We then switched to Max AC and turned off Eco and the produced a better result but it was definitely not air conditioning. As it is, the car wouldn’t be comfortable in a warm, interior valley. So does anyone have an idea whether we have a problem or are doing something wrong?
Sponsored

TontoTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I had the same exact symptoms. My AC would not cool sufficiently. This is what I found out.

The vehicle spec for refrigerant charge weight is 980g. I had <300g. There was leakage. In the end, an O-ring needed to be ordered from Germany which took a week or two.

It is URGENT that you take the car in if indeed you have the same problem. I was told at a certain refrigerant level, the car will simply shut off. I don't know if this would happen if you were driving, but I would not take the risk.

Take it into your dealer NOW, and mention what I have stated. I can give more details if you DM me.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
There was leakage. In the end, an O-ring needed to be ordered from Germany which took a week or two.
Thank you for pointing out the urgency of servicing malfunctioning air conditioning since it is integrated with the battery cooling system -- coming from ICE cars, not something we're used to. Regarding O-rings, I'm surprised they don't source them from a reputable local source. Like screws and other universal piece-parts, O-rings from any source should be interchangeable if they comply with the same specification. To leave a Taycan out of service for over a week to get an O-ring from Porsche stock, when the identical O-ring is available locally, seems really dumb on their part. I have a new coworker who came to us from Porsche where she engineered a portion of the Taycan cooling system, so I will ask her about this.

OP
OP
Larry Martin

Larry Martin

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1960 Roadster
Country flag
I had the same exact symptoms. My AC would not cool sufficiently. This is what I found out.

The vehicle spec for refrigerant charge weight is 980g. I had <300g. There was leakage. In the end, an O-ring needed to be ordered from Germany which took a week or two.

It is URGENT that you take the car in if indeed you have the same problem. I was told at a certain refrigerant level, the car will simply shut off. I don't know if this would happen if you were driving, but I would not take the risk.

Take it into your dealer NOW, and mention what I have stated. I can give more details if you DM me.
Porsche Taycan Air conditioning problem 8AEBE00D-D764-4215-827E-2581954C6062

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
New 4S. 82 degrees outside and Max AC blowing 100+ degrees inside. Think I have a problem. Photo above
You do. 88 today in MN, just took a 100 mile trip. In range mode with AC in Eco temp inside was a non-issue - to the point that I actually increased the set temp from 70 to 72F.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
In my 4S the Eco AC is so effective I have never yet even thought of putting it in non-eco mode. In fact I've a few times put it in just Eco without AC if it's not a warm day.

OP
OP
Larry Martin

Larry Martin

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1960 Roadster
Country flag
Wanted to post an update to my now fixed AC problem. Turns out it only had 315g. of refrigeration coolant, not the needed 980g. Marin Porsche did a great job turning the car around for me. Even gave me a ‘19 Panamara GTS as a loaner. Loved the V8 but it was no match for the Tesla. Grazie Mille Marin Porsche

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wanted to post an update to my now fixed AC problem. Turns out it only had 315g. of refrigeration coolant, not the needed 980g. Marin Porsche did a great job turning the car around for me. Even gave me a ‘19 Panamara GTS as a loaner. Loved the V8 but it was no match for the Tesla. Grazie Mille Marin Porsche
So happy for you @Larry Martin.
Good to be on the lookout for.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Glad to hear it was a quick fix and they took care of you! So far it does seem like Porsche is taking Taycan owners seriously with the little hiccups and making sure dealerships are caring for us. Honestly I have no problem dealing with small issues if they're being addressed appropriately.
Sponsored