First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Hi

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will go through the responses today. This problem has only started occurring since i fast charged at a 350KW fast charger at a new charging station in the UK last week
Aha, if you experienced this at a DC Fast charger, then it is not a problem. All settings for charging are ignored and not valid for any DC charging. They re only operational settings for AC charging. Any DC charger of 22 kW, 50 kW and above wil charge the car to 100% if you leave it connected!
Sponsored

rparsons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volco XC90 Inscription Pro, 4S Build Slot reserved
Country flag
I found in the ‘21 Good To Know manual that the timer will charge to the set SoC and then continue to 100% if not unplugged after 30 mins of the timer end (copied extract below). I tried this on Sunday and it seemed to be holding at 88% for an 85% ahead of the finish time. When I unplugged and got in the SoC had pared back to 86%. I’m planning to test this again tonight. Is anyone experiencing the overcharge leaving the timer-based charge in place for more than the 30 mins after the timer end?

Ending charging with the timer
Vehicle plug inserted.
Timer function activated.
  1. Press the release button.
    High-voltage battery charging stops.
  2. If charging is ongoing, wait until the ring has disappeared from the release button.
If the vehicle plug remains inserted for more than 30 minutes after the timer has expired, the high-voltage battery is charged up to a maximum charge state of 100 %.

OP
OP

baldybot1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo
Country flag
Aha, if you experienced this at a DC Fast charger, then it is not a problem. All settings for charging are ignored and not valid for any DC charging. They re only operational settings for AC charging. Any DC charger of 22 kW, 50 kW and above wil charge the car to 100% if you leave it connected!
Hi.
Sorry I wasn’t clear. This is happening now at home but only after I charged at the 350kw

OP
OP

baldybot1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan turbo
Country flag
I found in the ‘21 Good To Know manual that the timer will charge to the set SoC and then continue to 100% if not unplugged after 30 mins of the timer end (copied extract below). I tried this on Sunday and it seemed to be holding at 88% for an 85% ahead of the finish time. When I unplugged and got in the SoC had pared back to 86%. I’m planning to test this again tonight. Is anyone experiencing the overcharge leaving the timer-based charge in place for more than the 30 mins after the timer end?

Vehicle plug inserted.
  2. If charging is ongoing, wait until the ring has disappeared from the release button.
If the vehicle plug remains inserted for more than 30 minutes after the timer has expired, the high-voltage battery is charged up to a maximum charge state of 100 %.
This sounds to me exactly what is happening in my car... why would it go to 100% after 30 minutes? Thanks for this. I’ll erase all timers and profiles and try again

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Set minimum charge in your profile to 25% or just don't use a profile at all (this is just for charging at preferred times).
If your profile is set to minimum charge of 85% and your timer too, it'll conflict.
Yes, it sounds to me, that profile trumps timer. If profile is 85% min, that means it charges immediately to 85% and then checks if there is a timer with a higher max percentage. If not it keeps charging to 100%.

I have a profile set to 25%, to get the battery into a state of happiness, when I arrive and a timer to 100% for the next morning before I leave.

Porsche Taycan Always charging to 100% 1613466786604

Reactions: B61

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I had the same problem. I had selected the General Profile, Minimum Charge 85%, and then selected Set Preferred Charging Times 12 am-8am (all in the General Profile).

My intuition told me that this would mean the car would delay charging until midnight and then take the charge to 85% between Midnight and 8 am. This turns out not to be the case.
You were given bad information. The minimum charge setting in the profile is the SOC the car will attempt to reach immediately upon being plugged in without regard to preferred charging times or timers. Once it reaches that target minimum, then timers, preferred charging times come into play. Assuming you are targeting 12am - 8am due to lower utility cost, try this. Uncheck the profile(s) completely (make it inactive) and create a timer with a departure time at 8am and a maximum SOC of 85%. Assuming you have enough current to charge to 85% from the lowest SOC at which you expect to plug in, the car will calculate the charging start time (which will be after 12am) to achieve 85% at 8am.

rparsons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volco XC90 Inscription Pro, 4S Build Slot reserved
Country flag

Vehicle plug inserted.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Until a month ago, I was using a Timer profile set to 85% every day 4 am. I did not unplug the charger until I was ready to leave the house. Sometime the cord was connected for 4+ weeks when I was out of town. It always stopped at 85%.

I am a little confused by the wording in the Good to Know manual. Perhaps what it is stating is that if a charge session is finished using the Timer profile, and you decide to press the green button to end the session, but do not then proceed to unplug the car, the Timer profile will be overridden and direct charging will be activated causing charging to continue until 100%.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Until a month ago, I was using a Timer profile set to 85% every day 4 am. I did not unplug the charger until I was ready to leave the house. Sometime the cord was connected for 4+ weeks when I was out of town. It always stopped at 85%.

I am a little confused by the wording in the Good to Know manual. Perhaps what it is stating is that if a charge session is finished using the Timer profile, and you decide to press the green button to end the session, but do not then proceed to unplug the car, the Timer profile will be overridden and direct charging will be activated causing charging to continue until 100%.
That is the same way as I read the information. I also have had my car plugged in for up to a week without any charging issues. My charge level has been 75% and it always stopped there without problems.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Same here.

Make sure you haven't accidentally checked the Direct Charging button.

taycantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X, 2020 Taycan 4S+
Country flag
My own experience:

Profile 25% + Timer 85% -> battery wants to charge to 100%
Profile 80% + Timer 85% -> battery wants to charge to 100%
Profile 85% only -> battery wants to charge to 100%
Timer 85% only -> battery charges to 85% and holds it there

So, I am using that last option, at least until there is a S/W update and then I'll take another look.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Take it to the dealer and ask them to fix it.....

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, I am using that last option, at least until there is a S/W update and then I'll take another look.
You seem to have a SW glitch if your charging behaves like that. Take it to the dealer to see if they can analyse the issue and perhaps reboot the car?

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

Vehicle plug inserted.
Hmm, this would be counter-productive for those of us with time-of-use rate plans UNLESS the car also honors the preferred charging times setting in the active profile. It's also possible this is a charging behavior change engineered in as a way of reducing the occurrence of 12V battery death caused by a failed charging complete handshake between the car and the EVSE (one of the suspected causes). That is just one of the causes though...

taycantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X, 2020 Taycan 4S+
Country flag
You seem to have a SW glitch if your charging behaves like that. Take it to the dealer to see if they can analyse the issue and perhaps reboot the car?
That's certainly possible. Since I'm able to work with it for now without any real trouble, I'm not sure it warrants bringing in for a service check. I'm also holding out for that supposedly big software update that will fix everything and add wireless Carplay...
Sponsored