Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
My point was that the pronunciation he used is the accepted English pronunciation.

Almost nobody says Porsch-a here in England including fans, dealers mechanics and so on. It would be a bit like saying Paree for Paris - strictly correct but almost never done.
Here in the USA you would be ostracized at any Porsche event for saying Porsch.
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Here in the USA you would be ostracized at any Porsche event for saying Porsch.
Here in England I almost never hear anybody say Porsch-a, in fact I didn’t know any English speakers did pre YouTube.

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Here in England I almost never hear anybody say Porsch-a, in fact I didn’t know any English speakers did pre YouTube.
Met a guy in Monza who pronounced Do cot ee Du Cat ee. He was a Ducati mechanic and now I pronounce it Du cat ee. Not sure what is right. Motul is another one.

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
Almost all of the United States says Porsch. It's not until you drink the coolade and are indoctrinated into the cult that pronouncing the marque as Porsch-a becomes mandatory.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Having travelled worldwide for my work for over 30 years I am familiar with how differently people pronounce words in different countries.

I worked with engineers from BMW and Toyota Europe (in Cologne - Koln)am pretty familiar with huge variations of pronunciations even within Germany where the dialects are strong and varied, the idea of standardised pronunciation or even language is absurd.

I am always irritated when I see “British English” written, presumably a US construct brought about by one of the computer companies and few things are more absurd.
English is the language of England!
Wales has its own language and also uses its own dialect of English.
Scotland has a huge range of dialects, where my wife comes from they speak the “Doric” which has such a strong accent and so many dialect words few native English speakers understand it and I took a long time before I understood what most of her friends were saying.

In England, like everywhere, commonly used words change with fashion and since the internet and Youtube far more Americanisms and irritating (to me ;)) pronunciations of English are rife even here.

It is pretty silly and pointless getting wound up about pronunciation IME.
I think the country we have the most problems with pronunciation is right on our doorstep - and you visit often (as do I) Frank.
😂

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Here is the proper pronunciation. Not many get that correct!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Met a guy in Monza who pronounced Do cot ee Du Cat ee. He was a Ducati mechanic and now I pronounce it Du cat ee. Not sure what is right. Motul is another one.
I have only ever heard du-cat-ee never a cot in the middle fwiw, where does that come from?

I have only heard Motul pronounced phonetically in English and French, I am reasonably fluent in French having lived there 4 years and don’t have an obvious English accent - a Paris taxi driver said “I can’t place your accent are you Swiss?” which pleased me a great deal…

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the country we have the most problems with pronunciation is right on our doorstep - and you visit often (as do I) Frank.
😂

My daughter lives a few miles from there. I think the locals call it PPG or something like that, I forget.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here is the proper pronunciation. Not many get that correct!
I don’t worry too much about “proper pronunciation” really since being too inflexible about pronouncing one country’s names in another country is fraught.

Almost no English speakers get anywhere near correct French pronunciation particularly since the words are often the same just said completely differently.

“Different” is a good example :)

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My wife is keen on correct Welsh pronunciation, she was the conductor of a Welsh male voice choir for many years, so I enjoy teasing her by anglicising them sometimes…

For me it is the Moray Firth coast whence my wife comes. Cullen.

Quine, Lune, hod yer wisht, scunner, ogster and so on needed learning amongst many others on top of such a strong accent even on english words I wasn’t sure!

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
I have only ever heard du-cat-ee never a cot in the middle fwiw, where does that come from?

I have only heard Motul pronounced phonetically in English and French, I am reasonably fluent in French having lived there 4 years and don’t have an obvious English accent - a Paris taxi driver said “I can’t place your accent are you Swiss?” which pleased me a great deal…
Here in the USA I have never heard Du cat ee. Always Du Cot ee. Motul by some mo-tool by most.

Last edited:

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Almost all of the United States says Porsch. It's not until you drink the coolade and are indoctrinated into the cult that pronouncing the marque as Porsch-a becomes mandatory.
Ask your Porsche to navigate to the local dealer. The car pronounces it Porsch.
Sponsored