Any concerns with buying a CPO 2020 4S??

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
That is the goal for sure. With a used car, this particular problem would be extremely expensive and likely not covered under any warranty.
No different than any other used car, except even way less likely, given the physical brake components are rarely even engaged.
Sponsored

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
No different than any other used car, except even way less likely, given the physical brake components are rarely even engaged.
Trying to help the OP with considerations. As the 2nd or 3rd owner of a car with these upgrades, it becomes increasingly something to be concerned about is all. For a new car, most of us will probably let the car go well before we have to confront doing something with the brakes. In 2023, a 2020 car is already more than half way towards needing replacement due to time alone.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Trying to help the OP with considerations. As the 2nd or 3rd owner of a car with these upgrades, it becomes increasingly something to be concerned about is all. For a new car, most of us will probably let the car go well before we have to confront doing something with the brakes. In 2023, a 2020 car is already more than half way towards needing replacement due to time alone.
Except not the brakes. Those brakes will likely last longer than the car. By far. It’s a total non issue.

Uknown

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY20
Country flag
I bought a my20 4s last September. It has been great so far and the issues it has had have all been resolved at no cost to me other than a little time. I probably paid a little more as used car prices hadn’t dropped and supply issues were still very real. I don’t regret the purchase at all.
I actually had been trying to find one to test drive before placing an order and getting in an uncertain queue for build and delivery. I drove up to test drive one as I found a dealer that had 4 used ones on the lot. It was mostly what I would have spec’d, I could get it almost immediately, it had the latest MY software updates. It has been awesome.
As a bonus the spec included the massage seats… I never would have picked that and it is one of the coolest features. I put about 40-60 miles a day on it .

OP
OP

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
Thanks everyone. Going to look at the car on Saturday. We'll see how it goes....

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks everyone. Going to look at the car on Saturday. We'll see how it goes....
Best of luck to you on your hunt. With so many cars coming off of lease, you should have ample to choose from as the weeks/months roll on. Look forward to seeing which one you end up with and how you like it.

OP
OP

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well that was a giant bust. Porsche Austin (at least this Sales person) gets a huge thumbs down.

So I had told the SA that I would be in Austin this weekend for my kid's sporting events and that I would reach out to set up a time. Texted him on Saturday morning saying I'd be stopping by around 2:15. He responds and says "ok".

Before I get there, I pull up their website to check on something with the car's options. It's not there. WTF, did it sell? Text the guy. "Oh, that might have sold, let me check, but I have a few others here that I want you to check out". OK, I reply, see you at 2;15. Get there at 2:10. Wait. Wait. 10 minutes goes by. 15. Even the manager asks the receptionist why no one is taking care of this guy. She said he's waiting for Ozzy. Someone else comes out and says "I think that car sold". I said, ok, there's another one I want to look at (it also has the performance package, which I really want to drive as I've not driven a Taycan with PDCC or PTV). He said, let me check. Finally the first bozo comes down. "Oh, sorry, my other appointment arrived WAY early and they are buying a car". Ok, great, you knew I was coming, you could have had someone else take care of me instead of making me wait. "Oh yeah, I'm so sorry. So sorry. Go up to the third floor, the other Taycans are there to look at, *** will meet you there". OK.

Go up to third floor. No one meets me there. There are NO taycans there. Go up to the 4th floor. No taycans there either. No one meets me on either floor.

Go back to main floor. The guy who said "I think that car sold" earlier says "yeah it sold, I'm still checking on the other one you told me you were interested in. Have a seat". So i sit, for 2 minutes and he comes back and says "yeah, that car is gone for the day, but it'll be back Monday". I told him, I'll be back in Houston. He's mortified, and thinks I drove here from Houston to see the car. I told him no, I'm here for other reasons, but I wanted to see that car. He's like "I have another 4S you can drive if you've never driven one". I told him, no, I've driven a few, I came here to look at a specific car, which was sold and I wasn't told that, and this other one is interesting but it's not here. He apologized and I left.

Finally, Ozzy texts me later. No apology. Tells me the other car I'm interested in is gone for the weekend and will be back Monday. I told him, "you forget, I won't be here, i'll be back in Houston".

no response.

What kind of clown show is this dude. What a waste of my time.

If you go to Porsche Austin, definitely do not deal with Ozzy. I totally get that people come early, and deals need to be done when someone has the checkbook open. TOTALLY get it. But please, this isn't the first time this happened. Have a backup plan.

Sheesh.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I understand your frustration. That is unacceptable. My experience with Porsche dealerships has also varied widely. Some understand that they are selling an up brand product and strive to deliver an experience that matches. Others take more of a Walmart approach. Hopefully you dont give up on the brand due to this experience but I would understand if you did.

OP
OP

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I understand your frustration. That is unacceptable. My experience with Porsche dealerships has also varied widely. Some understand that they are selling an up brand product and strive to deliver an experience that matches. Others take more of a Walmart approach. Hopefully you dont give up on the brand due to this experience but I would understand if you did.
Thanks for the sympathy, I appreciate it. Definitely haven't given up on the brand; we just took delivery of our 2023 Cayenne EHybrid that we have been waiting 9 months for this past Friday. That makes Porsche #3 in the garage right now, which is why i'm looking at the Taycan.

Agree, even here where I live, the dealer experience is widely varied among the three stores in Town.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Well that was a giant bust. Porsche Austin (at least this Sales person) gets a huge thumbs down.

So I had told the SA that I would be in Austin this weekend for my kid's sporting events and that I would reach out to set up a time. Texted him on Saturday morning saying I'd be stopping by around 2:15. He responds and says "ok".

Before I get there, I pull up their website to check on something with the car's options. It's not there. WTF, did it sell? Text the guy. "Oh, that might have sold, let me check, but I have a few others here that I want you to check out". OK, I reply, see you at 2;15. Get there at 2:10. Wait. Wait. 10 minutes goes by. 15. Even the manager asks the receptionist why no one is taking care of this guy. She said he's waiting for Ozzy. Someone else comes out and says "I think that car sold". I said, ok, there's another one I want to look at (it also has the performance package, which I really want to drive as I've not driven a Taycan with PDCC or PTV). He said, let me check. Finally the first bozo comes down. "Oh, sorry, my other appointment arrived WAY early and they are buying a car". Ok, great, you knew I was coming, you could have had someone else take care of me instead of making me wait. "Oh yeah, I'm so sorry. So sorry. Go up to the third floor, the other Taycans are there to look at, *** will meet you there". OK.

Go up to third floor. No one meets me there. There are NO taycans there. Go up to the 4th floor. No taycans there either. No one meets me on either floor.

Go back to main floor. The guy who said "I think that car sold" earlier says "yeah it sold, I'm still checking on the other one you told me you were interested in. Have a seat". So i sit, for 2 minutes and he comes back and says "yeah, that car is gone for the day, but it'll be back Monday". I told him, I'll be back in Houston. He's mortified, and thinks I drove here from Houston to see the car. I told him no, I'm here for other reasons, but I wanted to see that car. He's like "I have another 4S you can drive if you've never driven one". I told him, no, I've driven a few, I came here to look at a specific car, which was sold and I wasn't told that, and this other one is interesting but it's not here. He apologized and I left.

Finally, Ozzy texts me later. No apology. Tells me the other car I'm interested in is gone for the weekend and will be back Monday. I told him, "you forget, I won't be here, i'll be back in Houston".

no response.

What kind of clown show is this dude. What a waste of my time.

If you go to Porsche Austin, definitely do not deal with Ozzy. I totally get that people come early, and deals need to be done when someone has the checkbook open. TOTALLY get it. But please, this isn't the first time this happened. Have a backup plan.

Sheesh.
I feel you. It’s not only Ozzy!

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
Never would expect that kind of treatment at a porsche dealership. Toyota? for sure.

Have you checked the used inventory on porsche.com?

OP
OP

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Never would expect that kind of treatment at a porsche dealership. Toyota? for sure.

Have you checked the used inventory on porsche.com?
Yes, I've got alerts set. This was actually a specific car I was interested in purchasing that I found through the Porsche website. Not surprised it sold; it was extremely highly optioned, and for the miles (16k) I thought the price was very fair given the MSRP and that it was Certified.

But I'm not in a super hurry and I'm not rushing into a used car. There will be more out there. If it worked out, fine. If not, no biggie. I'm not at all sussed about missing the car, moreso at the way this individual / the dealership comported itself.

I feel you. It’s not only Ozzy!
Haha. I trust you. To be fair, I did see the manager come out and ask the staff why I wasn't being taken care of. So there's at least that glimmer of hope.

OP
OP

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bumping this thread. I have a line on another 4S. This one really checks all my boxes except for 18 way seats, but it does have massage.

Discussed with my wife last night. Her three objections, in increasing order:

1. How will we both charge (she has a PHEV Cayenne): that's easy. Your car takes two hours to charge from dead. Plug in when you get home, I switch before we go to bed. OR, get one of the load-sharing, double corded EVSE's from Clipper Creek. Easy Peasy.

2. It's a 3 year old electric car and we'll have it another 7-8 years. Well, It'll just be out of battery warranty then. This one does give me a BIT of pause because of this and because the tech will keep advancing and I don't want to own a paperweight.

3. If you trade in your 911, you'll miss your 911 and always be looking for another 911. Definitely some validity to this, although TBH, I've never appreciated either of my 911's as much as I should have. Neither was my daily driver and now that I'm looking at daily driving a 2011 Turbo, I'm decidedly mixed on owning an older German car, with no tech, which decidedly doesn't like my very short daily commute (7 miles and 10-12 minutes each way) and is impractical since we can't all 4 use it.

So while it is true that I will miss rocking up to our local PCA events in a Turbo S, I did drive it half of December, all of January and most of February as my daily and it didn't really get me excited to drive it as a daily. I feel like that was enough (plus a previous 2 plus years of ownership) to give it an honest assessment.

Thoughts? Anyone do the switch and regret it?

Thanks!

Davy021

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
We have 2 EVs and just alternate chargings. Just depends how many miles you put in a day. Thankfully for us we just charged 2-3 times a week per car.

As far as missing the 911 everyone is different. My friend went from 911 to Taycan and doesn't miss the 911 at all. The instant torque of an EV and handling of the Taycan washed all that away for him. Only thing he misses is the sound but he doesn't have sound package on the Taycan.

I also have 2020 4S with update and when people say there's no plug and charge before update I didn't have it but most recent road trip I plugged in and it registered on it's own and started charging.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I bought a used 14-month-old TTS last December (MY2021) and it’s the best daily I’ve ever owned. No issues at all, insanely fast and sharp with a turn of the dial, smooth and quiet otherwise. Fit and finish superb. Plus HUGE savings vs new 👍
Sponsored