RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
Out of interest, what was your existing car?
I think this has a major impact on peoples expectations.

There are people on here who may say the RWD is a bit slow, but they also have a Ferrari and a GT3 etc.

I came from a BMW M2 and real world the Taycan is every bit as fast (except round tighter bends).
But it also has instant torque, is quiet, smooth and with a sublime chassis.
All that with Porsche build quality too.

It is a big car, and it's heavy, but it hides this well. I do however notice the weight when hard braking or on tight bends.
I traded in my M2 (with 1200 miles!!) for my Taycan and have never regretted it !
Sponsored

OP
OP

MattW77

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
As others have mentioned this forum can paint a less than positive picture for any Taycan (they all have had issues) but not all owners are represented on the forum so you can potentially take some solace from that.

As you will be getting a MY22 then the early gremlins impacting MY20 / MY21 cars which led to significant software updates will have been largely put to bed.

The one worrying fault now surfacing all too frequently (certainly in US) is the failure of the heater (should not happen in this day and age). Several have been reported in UK but not as many as far as I'm aware. This is not ideal for Winter time!

Getting a fault is one thing but getting it fixed is quite another given the ongoing supply chain and pandemic impacts. Dealers typically don't hold spares.

Day to day - doddle to live with. The one thing that might get you on edge is the range particularly at this time of year. Expect no more than 220 miles on a full charge and around 185 miles on the recommended 85% charge. In spring / summer the range will climb to a potential 250 - 270 miles. Consumption improves with miles added in the early part of ownership but just have the expectation that you won't always get the range you thought you would (or read about). Performance battery helps - adds about 20 miles or so - so spare a thought for those who didn't option it and have at best 180 miles in UK.

Let's be positive, it's a shiny new car so enjoy it and if you get stuck or have queries then this forum is generally a welcoming place with lots of knowledge readily available.

Enjoy it when it comes!
Really looking forward to it but is the 220 charge with standard battery or battery plus?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Really looking forward to it but is the 220 charge with standard battery or battery plus?
Yes - Performance Battery Plus when ambient temperature (UK) is < 5C to around 1C. At 85% state of charge (SOC) expect no more than 185 miles (before you turn a wheel).

Use the online Range checker to see some pretty good estimates as you can select various options including wheels (they make a significant difference) and types of driving. Be sure the range calc updates correctly between changes (flick the Performance Battery off / on to be sure).

Note these are indicative only, assumes AC set to 22C and does not factor in the type of driving you do (hard / fast / casual / whatever). You may get more (or less) miles than the calculator provides.

Porsche Taycan Any issues with Taycan RWD model? 1642094722838

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Got mine 2 weeks ago. Amazing car.

I would suggest a manageable password for your Porsche login id. You need to enter your login and password into the car when setting up. My Taycan refused to accept my 30 character password and it was a bastard to enter correctly. In the I changed it via the Forgotten Password on the app to a shorter password with less wierd characters.

Also due to a shortage of semiconductor chips the Porsche charging cards are delayed in the UK. So haven't received mine yet. Turns out there is a dedicated Porsche charging app and you can authorize the Porsche fast charge that way as well.

In this cold weather a full charge with 93k battery is 200 miles.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Got mine 2 weeks ago. Amazing car.

I would suggest a manageable password for your Porsche login id. You need to enter your login and password into the car when setting up. My Taycan refused to accept my 30 character password and it was a bastard to enter correctly. In the I changed it via the Forgotten Password on the app to a shorter password with less wierd characters.

Also due to a shortage of semiconductor chips the Porsche charging cards are delayed in the UK. So haven't received mine yet. Turns out there is a dedicated Porsche charging app and you can authorize the Porsche fast charge that way as well.

In this cold weather a full charge with 93k battery is 200 miles.

Also Shell Recharge have stupidly short DC leads. If you can't park diagonal you won't reach the passenger side DC socket. I say this as one near me has a bay you enter head on with no room to angle. I

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also Shell Recharge have stupidly short DC leads. If you can't park diagonal you won't reach the passenger side DC socket. I say this as one near me has a bay you enter head on with no room to angle. Really annoying as it is a rare 150.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Also watch out for width restrictions. There's a few dotted around where I live in South East London. They are 7ft or 2.13m. Given the car is huge at 2m wide. It's a close shave. Better to go the long way!

RickDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
My only issue is how slow is this car, only the Chevy Bolt is slower than Taycan RWD. I really think this car should be in the 4ish 0-60 to be an Electric car.

Mazikeen

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 Cayenne, '22 Taycan
Country flag
I've had my MY22 for 3 weeks now. At 1522 miles so far, I have not had any problems (knock on wood). The PCM locked up once for about 10 minutes but corrected itself - maybe an update was downloading or something. The longest drive I have taken so far was 3 hours one way. Drove out, ate lunch, turned around and came back home. No problems.

To all the people saying the car is slow - REALLY!!! It may not be the Turbo S but it is by no means slow, esp if you want to keep your license and not end up in jail!

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
My only issue is how slow is this car, only the Chevy Bolt is slower than Taycan RWD. I really think this car should be in the 4ish 0-60 to be an Electric car.
Not the right car for stoplight racing. Once moving it's in the Panamera 4S ballpark, which people may or may not find slow.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is not a slow car. The torque is instant and constant. It is as fast as my previous BMW S3 Xdrive 3.0 diesel. That's great. It's not a 4s 0-62 but I don't get why people are making a scene about that. Our speed limit is 30mph and normally 20mph given traffic. 4s is useless. Instead it is a beautifully made car. Pure quality and luxury and the drive is exactly like my previous BMW. It hugs the ground and owns the road and the carmine red turns heads down the street. Love it.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
It is not a slow car. The torque is instant and constant. It is as fast as my previous BMW S3 Xdrive 3.0 diesel. That's great. It's not a 4s 0-62 but I don't get why people are making a scene about that. Our speed limit is 30mph and normally 20mph given traffic. 4s is useless. Instead it is a beautifully made car. Pure quality and luxury and the drive is exactly like my previous BMW. It hugs the ground and owns the road and the carmine red turns heads down the street. Love it.
I have mentioned on here previously that in real world driving my Taycan RWD is faster than my previous M2.
The only figures I could find (80-120km/h) back it up.

But now I've got it, I don't want to drive it like a hot hatch / small coupe.
It lends itself to wafting around like a grown up GT car.
It eats up the miles in refined luxury, but will still behave like a (heavy) sports car when required.

Also worth pointing out that the lighter front end gives the steering a fantastic, direct feel.

Amazing car!

Last edited:

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Not the right car for stoplight racing. Once moving it's in the Panamera 4S ballpark, which people may or may not find slow.
Agree!

And a bit of perspective I looked into (as a lot of people here compare against 911s / Ferrari etc) as well as comparing against my M2.

I have owned a number of Golf R32 / Golf R / S3 etc so I looked at those stats, as I didn't consider them slow cars.

0-200kmh figures:
Taycan RWD = 16.5s
VW Golf mk 7 Golf R = 19.6s

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Exacty but "fast" means a different thing in the USA to the rest of the world IME.
Straight roads with tons of traffic lights bred the amazing drag racing culture there which is a tiny niche everywhere else.

As an aside my only concern with a RWD is 2-wd is non-ideal for regenerative braking.
It is a big challenge to do well for on the limit driving and keep the front to rear brake balance good.
It is the major headache in current Formula 1 racing and a source of contention for future regulations!
Sponsored