Anyone do a track day with their Taycan?

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
How did you find the battery temperature? I’ve now attempted two track days at Goodwood in my Turbo S as they have installed some chargers, the car performed brilliantly for 3-4 laps then the battery got too hot at the car cut the power and ended the session prematurely.

I then spent most of the time waiting for the battery temperature to drop low enough to have another go and I only managed to get four sessions during the day because of this.

I found it very frustrating and don’t think I’ll try it again.
I've now done two track days at Goodwood. I absolutely love the track. Admittedly, it been about 10 deg C but I have had no real problems with temperature. The cut off point is 55 deg C and I usually stay below 50 deg C. I find putting it on charge cools it down pretty rapidly; back down to 30s in about 20 mins.

I even let my instructor have a go. He lapped everything on the track at least once. It was about 52 deg C by the time we got the chequered flag.

My problem is tyres at Goodwood. Because it is mostly right handers the front passenger tyre takes a real beating. On my third set in 12,000 miles!
Sponsored

backslashed

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I’d like to do one single lap on the race track (20 minutes). I have no experience whatsoever. I am not concerned about tyre wear as those are not so bad but am quite concerned about (steel) brake wear. What is the damage going to be? The cost of replacing the discs/rotors is very high and if that’s a risk I’d rather not go to the track at all. Can someone please educate me?

CinVinman

First Name
VInce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Cayenne, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’d like to do one single lap on the race track (20 minutes). I have no experience whatsoever. I am not concerned about tyre wear as those are not so bad but am quite concerned about (steel) brake wear. What is the damage going to be? The cost of replacing the discs/rotors is very high and if that’s a risk I’d rather not go to the track at all. Can someone please educate me?
I'm going to assume you mean a single session (unless you are going to a very long track), in which case I'd recommend you not bother. With zero track experience, you're not likely to get much more out of a single session than say doing parade laps that some HPDE sponsors allow. To answer your question directly, I'd say don't worry about brake wear - the Taycan uses braking to regenerate the battery, so brake wear is much less than with other cars. I am hearing that Taycan brake pads last much longer than ICU-powered cars due to this design.

Last edited:

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
At least you wont have to worry what the sound limit is for any particular day with the Taycan there... :p
Seriously? Sound limits at a race track?

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Seriously? Sound limits at a race track?
Lots of tracks have noise limits. Heck, Monza has noise restrictions.

Laguna is in a Valley and the sound reverberates for miles. Without agreeing to noise limits, it would have closed long ago.

First Name
Alain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CrossTurismo Turbo
Country flag
I had the chance to take my CT Turbo twice at Mont Tremblant (LCMT) last fall and it was surprisingly good. I had a very similar experience as others with battery stamina. Driving at 9/10, I managed to get two sessions in the morning, charge at a 150kw station over lunch and 2 sessions in the afternoon. There was a slow and gradual increase battery temperature finally reaching the magical 55C toward the second half day session (at 55, the car goes in battery protection mode with limited power. Not quite limp mode but not trackable). This was done with Regen On, it did not experiment without it. In my case the temp limit and battery depletion occurred pretty much at time or very close together both in the morning and afternoon second session. (air temp 22c)

Here are some other observations:

• Steering is very precise, feels like a Porsche at any speed. Low CG paired with the rear wheel steering is magical. Definitely feels lighter and nimbler than its weight.
  • Braking with the PCCB is impressive, very powerful with zero fade. Pedal pressure is almost too light/sensitive as temperature increase and they become a bid hard to modulate. Tires are limiting.
  • I used the Sport Plus setting with the suspension in Low height setting. It was good in almost all condition but hitting a bump with the suspension loaded in a turn, you definitely feel the weight of the beast. It wobbles a bit more that I would have liked. Damper could be a bit stiffer in Sport Plus my opinion.
  • I have the Racetex seat, they are like glue! Almost prefer them to the bucket seats and you can use cooling!
  • For tires I had the OEM Goodyear F1 Assymetrico 3 that came with the 21in wheels. It was my first time with PCCB on a car and compared to steel, they are definitely different from a thermal point of view. The wheel/brake assembly does not heat as much and they cool off quickly between sessions. This lead to a wide differential in pressure between the end (warm) of a session and the beginning of the next (cool). Normally it is not too bad but with the weight of the car, you really have to be careful at the beginning of the next session and baby those tires before they reach optimal pressure again. One front tire chunked and needed replacement, I blame this on low pressure at the start of the session.
It looks like the 4RS will show up for me in 2022 so I am planning to use the CTT for this season. Here are my questions to the group:

• Anyone find a solution to get adjustable front camber on the car? Adjustable wishbone?
Sponsored