O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Ducati, LR Defender, Audi S5, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had a manual M2 for a few years before the Taycan.
And always had manual cars before that (except 1 brief mistake with a DSG Golf R32 ). I didn't really gel with paddles.

Surprisingly, I took to the Taycan like a duck to water and have been fine for 10 months......until suddenly one day this week I started scrabbling about for the gear stick to get reverse.
🫤
I'm always switching sides of the car due to business travel. Often find myself scrabbling and finding a door handle!!

If you think the DSG R32 was bad..........I recently rented a Mustang with a 10-speed auto box. When overtaking I had to use paddles to go down 3 or 4 gears! The changes took so long that I'd often just give up
Sponsored

JuTheKi

First Name
Jussi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 2022, RR P400e LWB 2018 "fully loaded"
Country flag
Background.
I have always enjoyed backroad driving. I currently live in semi-rural Kentucky, but have also lived in South Carolina, Germany, New Zealand and UK, where there are lots of opportunities for smaller, twisty roads. I've had a wide range of daily and weekend cars (Lotus, AMG, Maserati, Audi, etc), enjoy riding motorcycles and have done a fair bit of autocross/track days. So my driving style is very much tuned to selecting gears coming into a curve and using engine braking to supplement pedal braking.

I've only had the Taycan for a 1000 miles, but have found my fingers reaching out for paddles for a downshift coming into corners.

Anyone else?
I use Sport Plus and recup for that feeling, Works quite well. But yeah, every now and then flappyflap would be useful 😁

soawjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, BMW 230i convertible
Country flag
my wife just laughed at me this week when I tried to get reverse on her disco halfway up the dashboard
Haha, I do exactly the same when when I get in my other car after mainly driving the Taycan. My first impression of the Taycan was "what a ridiculous place to put the drive selector" but it's amazing how quickly you get used to something and it becomes second nature

OP
OP
O2TheL

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I use Sport Plus and recup for that feeling, Works quite well. But yeah, every now and then flappyflap would be useful 😁
I'd only driven previously with recup off and love it on the motorway, but I just went out for a drive on a backroad and tried that. I agree, it helps (on the transition between pedals). Thanks for the tip.

stillak

First Name
AK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
they should add flappy paddles to control the regen. It almost works like downshifting if you increase the amount of regen braking.

OP
OP
O2TheL

O2TheL

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've started to use the regen button on the steering wheel a bit like that. Not exactly the same, but it helps for sure
Sponsored