Anyone moved from a 991.1 to a Taycan? Do you miss the “mechanical noise”

Scooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I have a 991.1 C4S as my daily driver and have been driving Porsche since the air-cooled days. My 911 is about out of warranty and time to replace it. I test drove a Taycan and absolutely loved the driving experience but definitely felt like I was “missing” the “Porsche sounds”. I did turn on the sport sound which definitely helped but am not sure if it’s just a gimmick that will grow stale after a few weeks. For those that switched over, what has been your experience/opinion so far?
Sponsored

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Did not have a 911 before, but I had an 8 cylinder BMW 650 that also had a very nice growling sound. When I switched to an EV (Tesla) the instant punch more than made it up for the loss of sound.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The sport sound is definitely a gimmick and I doubt many people will use it permanently, but I could be wrong.

Really hard to say if you'll miss the sound. If you were coming from a turbo engine I'd say probably not, but the NA flat six is a sexy thing. Very personal decision there.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I have a 991.1 C4S as my daily driver and have been driving Porsche since the air-cooled days. My 911 is about out of warranty and time to replace it. I test drove a Taycan and absolutely loved the driving experience but definitely felt like I was “missing” the “Porsche sounds”. I did turn on the sport sound which definitely helped but am not sure if it’s just a gimmick that will grow stale after a few weeks. For those that switched over, what has been your experience/opinion so far?
My other cars have great engine and exhaust sounds. The sounds produced by the Taycan even without the sport sound are different but awesome in their own way. Whenever I’m in the Taycan I don’t think about anything that is missing. Instead I’m experiencing new things that are not part of the traditional ICE experience.

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I‘m hopefully a very small number of days away from getting my Taycan, but the same thoughts have been in my head. I’m coming out of a 997.2 and absolutely loved the sounds it made - above 5,000 RPM is magic. However, I’ll never forget the first test drive I did in a Taycan, with the electric sports sound activated, and it was beyond what I had been expecting. Part of the 911 emotion is the engine sound plus all the vibrations — I had a 6-speed and a real parking brake, so got to feel all of those components along with the engine — but after driving the Taycan, I was taken (pun intended). I’ll definitely be an adjustment, but I can’t wait to hopefully get in that driver’s seat this week and hear it again and again again.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I had a 2020 992 C4S as a loaner for two months while my Taycan was being repaired.
Man, I love that Taycan!
I was so glad I got it back!
Noise is nice but all it is is loss of performance.
I was driving electric before and once you've switched, your perception of ice cars completely changes.
Yes, the 992 was a joy, it handles ok but it felt "outdated"...
The Taycan is such a beast but still, drives like pure silk.
A very mighty silk.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I miss the sound & smaller car about 5% of the time. The other 95% of the time the Taycan is just better. That's comparing to something like a 992 4S or Turbo.. compared to a 991.1 or even a 991.2 you're gaining such massive performance it's easily worth it.
Sponsored