DirtyPop

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
What % are you doing? Your what you described if you get anything higher than 50% it will defeat the purpose of it for light reduction/glare purposes
I did 70% on the windshield, and 35% on everything else. I’m not worried about light or glare. I’m only concerned with heat reduction. The roof without aftermarket tint lets in a lot of heat in the summer Bay Area sun. After 10 min it is pretty noticeable.
Sponsored

diegomedinaf

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I did 70% on the windshield, and 35% on everything else. I’m not worried about light or glare. I’m only concerned with heat reduction. The roof without aftermarket tint lets in a lot of heat in the summer Bay Area sun. After 10 min it is pretty noticeable.
35% on the doors is pretty light not to mention the 70 in the windshield.

try a 50 on the roof. higher % than that wont help.

from all cars i’ve had here in Miami once i did 35% everywhere 70 on the windshield. Had the issue you describe ( i had the courtain under the glass roof. )

when i switched to 20% everywhere same car just 3 years newer the diff was crazy noticeable.

then i evolved it to 50% front as with 70% i dont like the glare or extra shine coming from the front.
Actually on our current SUV i have 20 everywhere ( including on top of the oem
Tints rear half of the car ) did 70% windshield and when my wife jumps in the taycan she says wow, next time i want this. I dont have —;— my eyes in here.
Check the light reflection/heat chart of the brand u are installing that is how i ended up with my mix.
50 front
20 doors
35 rear glass
So far no need for roof but is growing on me, if i go for it i will do 50% not darker not lighter.
Good luck.

Last edited:

DirtyPop

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag

try a 50 on the roof. Less than that wont help.

from all cars i’ve had here in Miami once i did 35% everywhere 70 on the windshield. Had the issue you describe ( i had the courtain under the glass roof. )

when i switched to 20% everywhere same car just 3 years newer the diff was crazy noticeable.

then i evolved it to 50% front as with 70% i dont like the glare or extra shine coming from the front.
Tints rear half of the car ) did 70% windshield and when my wife jumps in the taycan she says wow, next time i want this. I dont have —;— my eyes in here.
Check the light reflection/heat chart of the brand u are installing that is how i ended up with my mix.
50 front
20 doors
35 rear glass
So far no need for roof but is growing on me, if i go for it i will do 50% not darker not lighter.
Good luck.
I hear you but the problem with 20% all the way around is the look. It is very dark and the contrast on my metallic white paint detracts visually IMO from the car. I will check out the chart. Thanks!

DirtyPop

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
I hear you but the problem with 20% all the way around is the look. It is very dark and the contrast on my metallic white paint detracts visually IMO from the car. I will check out the chart. Thanks!
I think you are reversing the numbers. You said go 50% or it won’t work. 35%

try a 50 on the roof. Less than that wont help.

50 front
20 doors
35 rear glass
Good luck.
35% is darker than 50%. What do you mean go at least 50% or it won’t work. Did you mean to say go 20% or it won’t work?

diegomedinaf

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I think you are reversing the numbers. You said go 50% or it won’t work. 35%

35% is darker than 50%. What do you mean go at least 50% or it won’t work. Did you mean to say go 20% or it won’t work?
No. 50 or darker works. 35 is even better than 50 but not sure will darken it too much.
I think 50 gives the heat protection without compromising the view

DirtyPop

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
No. 50 or darker works. 35 is even better than 50 but not sure will darken it too much.
I think 50 gives the heat protection without compromising the view
I guess I was confused because you said my 35% is pretty light inferring it wasn’t dark enough to block out the heat.

diegomedinaf

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I guess I was confused because you said my 35% is pretty light inferring it wasn’t dark enough to block out the heat.
Roof is pre tinted ( which if im not wrong is 18% avg )
Doors arent. That is why i said 35 is light for doors.

Assuming its 18 factory tint 50’or 35 on top of 18% will allow 9.5% or 6.3% light on the roof and will make it close to a limo tint 5% look, but im not sure how clear will it be as see through at night tho but since its the roof both options will work flawless for you plan.

DirtyPop

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
Roof is pre tinted ( which if im not wrong is 18% avg )
Doors arent. That is why i said 35 is light for doors.

Assuming its 18 factory tint 50’or 35 on top of 18% will allow 9.5% or 6.3% light on the roof and will make it close to a limo tint 5% look, but im not sure how clear will it be as see through at night tho but since its the roof both options will work flawless for you plan.
Thank you for breaking it down. I might just have to do it over and go 20% on all windows and 35% on the roof. I really want the heat to stay out.

diegomedinaf

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Thank you for breaking it down. I might just have to do it over and go 20% on all windows and 35% on the roof. I really want the heat to stay out.
Happy to help.
( roof and windshield is where most of the heat comes in - larger glasses on the car) if u do 50% on the windshield with that mix u mentioned. and im sure the result will be beyond what you expect.

50 front
20 everywhere
35 roof.

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Just a warning to others we tinted our Tesla's glass roof.
Didn't help much and it causes pretty bad glare/reflections from the glass roof. I would not do it again.

Suggest tinting sides/rear before touching the roof glass.

Last edited:

ARTAL EV

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo 4
Country flag
I’m in central fl so curious about the glass roof and heat. I see we can get screens now but I’d rather a clean look

is the roof ok in the sun? If not had anybody applied film to it?
I have a volcano gray Turbo S Cross Turismo with truffle brown interior. Basically a dark car. I tinted all windows and roof (no windshield) with a high end product and it has helped quite a bit in the Napa Valley sun. I recommend it but the downside is the roof becomes more of a mirror instead of a see-through roof.

kkjellin

First Name
Karla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan
Country flag
We’re in Palm Springs a
I’m in central fl so curious about the glass roof and heat. I see we can get screens now but I’d rather a clean look

is the roof ok in the sun? If not had anybody applied film to it?
We’re in Palm Springs and we had our tinted at the dealership. It made a huge difference

kkjellin

First Name
Karla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan
Country flag
Just a warning to others we tinted out Tesla's glass roof.
Didn't help much and it causes pretty bad glare/reflections from the glass roof. I would not do it again.

Suggest tinting sides/rear before touching the roof glass.
We had all the windows tinted and then had to have the roof done as well. It made a difference here in Palm Springs, CA