Best Taycan entry point? Need your advice.

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Cayenne S and 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’m a long-time 911 owner (currently own an 87, 97, 2021) and have been toying with getting into a Taycan. I was blown away by my test drive of the 4S last year.

While I could buy any model new, I’m thinking about buying a used model to hedge against changing battery tech and to take advantage of what seems like some good values in the pre-owned market.

So I’d love everyone’s advice…what’s the sweet spot of terms of year & trim? My cursory research leads me towards a 2020 Turbo but I’d love to get the group’s POV. The Turbo feels like 95% of the Turbo S performance and fast enough not to have buyers regret for getting a 4S and wanting more performance.

thanks!
I own a 2020 Taycan Turbo and it’s pretty much 98% of the performance of the Turbo S. I like mine due to the 20” wheels because they provide a smoother and quieter ride than do the 21” wheels of the Turbo S.

I think a used 2020 Turbo would be a very good sweet spot for you to take advantage of.
Sponsored

OP
OP
noev

noev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
87 Carrera, 97 Carrera S, 21 Carrera 4S, 21 Rover
Country flag
I own a 2020 Taycan Turbo and it’s pretty much 98% of the performance of the Turbo S. I like mine due to the 20” wheels because they provide a smoother and quieter ride than do the 21” wheels of the Turbo S.

I think a used 2020 Turbo would be a very good sweet spot for you to take advantage of.
Thanks! I’m actually working a deal as we speak.

OP
OP
noev

noev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good for you! Please tell us all what you eventually purchase.
Will do! Lots of really good advice on this thread but in the end, a 55-60% residual on 3 year old Turbos with < 20K miles is really hard to beat. Plan would be to drive it for 2-3 years, catch the bug, and place an order for the next generation Taycan where I’ll be the guy taking the depreciation hit :)

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Will do! Lots of really good advice on this thread but in the end, a 55-60% residual on 3 year old Turbos with < 20K miles is really hard to beat. Plan would be to drive it for 2-3 years, catch the bug, and place an order for the next generation Taycan where I’ll be the guy taking the depreciation hit :)
Something like a pass forward chain 🤣

bluedonkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Honestly, unless you plan to take it to a track, the 4S has more than enough performance for every day use. I have never felt that I needed more power than the 4S has.

In terms of year, as others have said, get 2021 for plug & charge support. Also, make sure you have the 150 kW / 400V charger option (KM2) so you can use 400V DC chargers at a reasonable speed still (e.g. Tesla superchargers, which are all 400V today).

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
4S spec'd out will be more "tangible" on a daily basis vs the performance difference between 4S/GTS/Turbo/TurboS

unless you're in launch control the real world performance differences are way way too subtle for street driving - you'll appreciate the extra "options" every time you're in the car vs. the rare occasion you need to go .5 sec faster 0-60…

0-60 performance according to Porsche:
  • 4S - 3.8 seconds
  • GTS - 3.5 seconds
  • Turbo - 3.0 seconds
  • Turbos - 2.6 seconds
but those differences are only in launch control mode - unprepared the difference is much much more subtle.

4S or GTS "fully spec'd" = pretty awesome car - vs. a stripper Turbo.

OP
OP
noev

noev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OP here: Thank you everyone for the great advice.

I'm about to close a deal on a CPO 2020 Turbo with 14K miles! Very excited!

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
OP here: Thank you everyone for the great advice.

I'm about to close a deal on a CPO 2020 Turbo with 14K miles! Very excited!
That sounds like a great route to take. Please share a sticker or link to the page with specs on dealer site to see what the options are.

OP
OP
noev

noev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That sounds like a great route to take. Please share a sticker or link to the page with specs on dealer site to see what the options are.
Thanks SergeyIndy! It looks like the dealership just removed the listing since the transaction closes today but here's a pic that they snapped for me.

2020 Carrara White/Slate Grey Turbo with 14K miles, CPO until Aug 2026. Clean CarFax.

$170K sticker. Paid $105K + TTL. Car was originally sold by Porsche San Diego to a long-time client of theirs and then they re-purchased it from him in November-22, and it just sat and sat and sat and price was knocked down several times.

This is not exactly how I would have spec'ed a car if I were starting over but it's a very clean/elegant-looking spec and CPO and I just couldn't pass up the deal. Like I stated previously, I think a gently used Turbo is a great entry point and I hope to be a Taycan driver from here on out, and order a new one when the next generation comes out. I am very seriously hoping that this car doesn't ruin me for my 992 C4S manual coupe :)

As an aside, I have a Tesla L2 wall charger already in my home. I understand that I can use that with just an adaptor? Any idea how many miles of charge I can get per hour?

Porsche Taycan Best Taycan entry point? Need your advice. 1685634270479

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Congratulations! Turbo is great, and it looks nice!

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Thanks SergeyIndy! It looks like the dealership just removed the listing since the transaction closes today but here's a pic that they snapped for me.

2020 Carrara White/Slate Grey Turbo with 14K miles, CPO until Aug 2026. Clean CarFax.

$170K sticker. Paid $105K + TTL. Car was originally sold by Porsche San Diego to a long-time client of theirs and then they re-purchased it from him in November-22, and it just sat and sat and sat and price was knocked down several times.

This is not exactly how I would have spec'ed a car if I were starting over but it's a very clean/elegant-looking spec and CPO and I just couldn't pass up the deal. Like I stated previously, I think a gently used Turbo is a great entry point and I hope to be a Taycan driver from here on out, and order a new one when the next generation comes out. I am very seriously hoping that this car doesn't ruin me for my 992 C4S manual coupe :)

As an aside, I have a Tesla L2 wall charger already in my home. I understand that I can use that with just an adaptor? Any idea how many miles of charge I can get per hour?

1685634270479.jpeg
Someone is selling a set of wheels that would look great on this car. Just trying to put 2 forum members together that might benefit from each other... https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...elli-tires-tpms-center-caps-valve-stem.14591/

OP
OP
noev

noev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I def always imagined buying a Taycan with 21s but I'm going to give these 20s a chance. I actually like the look. Relatively understated.
Sponsored