Marmolata

First Name
RJS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
My Taycan is waiting for a ship to bring it across the pond but in the meantime, I figured get the charging stuff done. I went with a Chargepoint EVSE since my power company was giving a great rebate on it.
For the install, my panel was in the basement on the opposite side of the house but thankfully had some rafters. My electrician ran a 125a cable to the garage and added a subpanel. Then for the EVSE, he connected it to a 50a breaker, but in the app, put in he put in a 60a breaker to ‘enable’ 48a charging. His reasoning was, if there’s a problem, he’d rather have it trip the breaker sooner if there’s a problem rather than later. Does this sound right? He’s willing to swap out the 50a breaker for a 60a but kept saying it’s safer to put 50a and let it trip than waiting for the 60a to trip.
You need to ask an electrician, not us. I can tell you that some replys are incorrect. as Daveo said above, you need a professional for this. there are too many variables we do not know. type of wire used, plug type or hardwired for charger, gfi needed or not etc etc. find a good electrician that knows your local codes. last thing you want to do is burn your house down because the wires melted and caught fire due to incorrect install.

with all that said, unless your charger is hardwired directly (not plugged into outlet) I would not run it at 48 amps. a 50 amp circuit needs 20% headroom for safety, or max 40 amps output.
Sponsored