Breaker Tripping When Charging

eisenb11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I’ll differ to you on this. Mine is not an AFCI Breaker
I don't get what you're saying. Are you saying that you're not on an AFCI breaker and are NOT having problems? Or you are on a non-AFCI breaker and you ARE having problems?

If you are on a non-AFCI breaker and you ARE having problems, then I stand by what I've said that something seems to be wrong as you shouldn't be popping that 50A breaker.

- Edit - Found your earlier post:

" I’ve had the same issue with both a juice box and Enel - turned down max charge from 40 to 38 and problem went away"

That shouldn't be required - makes me think something is either wrong with the charger or with the breaker if a small 2A change fixes the problem, no?
Sponsored

RPSRPS

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 TAYCAN GTS / '22 F150 HYBRID / '19 RANGER
Country flag
I don't get what you're saying. Are you saying that you're not on an AFCI breaker and are NOT having problems? Or you are on a non-AFCI breaker and you ARE having problems?

If you are on a non-AFCI breaker and you ARE having problems, then I stand by what I've said that something seems to be wrong as you shouldn't be popping that 50A breaker.
I’m not having the issue, I was relaying my experience to the gentleman who was. My problem was reconciled by lowering the charging amperage to 38 from 40. I had just mentioned to him that I thought my issue might have also had something to do with the draw from when my AC came on.

eisenb11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I’m not having the issue, I was relaying my experience to the gentleman who was. My problem was reconciled by lowering the charging amperage to 38 from 40. I had just mentioned to him that I thought my issue might have also had something to do with the draw from when my AC came on.
Yeah, I found your earlier post after I posted that. I'm thinking that what you're doing is more of a workaround, though, as perhaps addressing the root cause of the issue.

In general, that breaker shouldn't be popping under normal conditions (which does include a car charging starting up or an A/C in your case). I'm more inclined to place the blame on faulty equipment - either the breaker or the device consuming the electricity is malfunctioning and drawing more than it should or some other issue.

OP
OP

NetArchitect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just to give an update.. Emporia replaced my evse and I was able to use it fine with my Taycan. However when I try to charged it using my ID.4 thats when the breaker trip again. So it doesn’t seem like a Taycan issu anymore. Right now I just don't charge my id.4 anymore at home. I will probably have someone build another breaker for ithe id.4? I did send it to the dealer and it charged correctly with their L2 evse

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just to give an update.. Emporia replaced my evse and I was able to use it fine with my Taycan. However when I try to charged it using my ID.4 thats when the breaker trip again. So it doesn’t seem like a Taycan issu anymore. Right now I just don't charge my id.4 anymore at home. I will probably have someone build another breaker for ithe id.4? I did send it to the dealer and it charged correctly with their L2 evse
If breaker trips when ID.4 charges, there is something wrong with ID.4 - probably its on-board charging system. Need to have its on-board charging system checked. Just because it charged correctly at dealer does not mean it is working properly.
Try charging the ID.4 at a public AC charger.

David Bennett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Golf 8r
Country flag
I’ve had the same issue with both a juice box and Enel - turned down max charge from 40 to 38 and problem went away. I also had issue during A/C season, the spike in draw when A/C came on would trip my breaker
Do you know what class of breaker you have? Your A/C compressor might have a high inrush current and require a class 30 to prevent nuisance tripping.
Sponsored