Broken rear screen

thedoctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I had the dreaded dead 12 volt battery issue at about 300 miles of ownership. They had to tow the car in. Apparently there is a console battery that needed replacement when the car bricked. A few weeks after getting the car back, I had someone sit in the back seat for the first time. They noticed the rear screen was cracked. It still had the protective plastic on it and has never been touched. So I spoke to my service advisor and asked if changing the console battery involves doing something with the screen. He said they needed to remove the console to change the battery and once he got the car back for the update he would look into ordering a new one. Well, they have my Taycan now and he contacted me saying that the tech looked at it and the screen is broken in 3 places so warranty will not cover it and that it's $2000. He said if one of his techs broke it while changing the battery then they would have said something. Excuse me? No one has ever sat back there. Do they think I have a child that was sitting back there and kicked the screen? Did i have a roll over accident and a loose laptop from the trunk penetrated the back seat and slammed against the screen? WTF!?! I tried to hold my shit together talking to him. I said hey sometimes things happen and they broke it while removing the console and they just didn't notice. I told him things happen despite the best medical care in my field, so I understand that shit happens, but they need to fix this problem. He's going to talk to his manager to see what they can do. This is just common sense. What's the likelihood of me breaking this screen at 300 miles of ownership when no one has sat back there and with me not storing anything on the back seat vs. it being broken after me getting it back from them with him admitting they had to remove the console? If they still come to the same conclusion I don't know what my next move is going to be.
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I think we need to spend some time considering other possibilities.

Did you leave your car in a forest overnight with the rear doors open? If so, an animal may have gotten in and broken the screen trying to adjust the climate.

Maybe if we can collect and rule out enough alternative theories, you can present them to the dealer and they can pull their head out of their ass and replace your screen.

Hollywood

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Panamera 4S
Country flag
I had the dreaded dead 12 volt battery issue at about 300 miles of ownership. They had to tow the car in. Apparently there is a console battery that needed replacement when the car bricked. A few weeks after getting the car back, I had someone sit in the back seat for the first time. They noticed the rear screen was cracked. It still had the protective plastic on it and has never been touched. So I spoke to my service advisor and asked if changing the console battery involves doing something with the screen. He said they needed to remove the console to change the battery and once he got the car back for the update he would look into ordering a new one. Well, they have my Taycan now and he contacted me saying that the tech looked at it and the screen is broken in 3 places so warranty will not cover it and that it's $2000. He said if one of his techs broke it while changing the battery then they would have said something. Excuse me? No one has ever sat back there. Do they think I have a child that was sitting back there and kicked the screen? Did i have a roll over accident and a loose laptop from the trunk penetrated the back seat and slammed against the screen? WTF!?! I tried to hold my shit together talking to him. I said hey sometimes things happen and they broke it while removing the console and they just didn't notice. I told him things happen despite the best medical care in my field, so I understand that shit happens, but they need to fix this problem. He's going to talk to his manager to see what they can do. This is just common sense. What's the likelihood of me breaking this screen at 300 miles of ownership when no one has sat back there and with me not storing anything on the back seat vs. it being broken after me getting it back from them with him admitting they had to remove the console? If they still come to the same conclusion I don't know what my next move is going to be.

OP
OP
thedoctor

thedoctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think we need to spend some time considering other possibilities.

Did you leave your car in a forest overnight with the rear doors open? If so, an animal may have gotten in and broken the screen trying to adjust the climate.

Maybe if we can collect and rule out enough alternative theories, you can present them to the dealer and they can pull their head out of their ass and replace your screen.

OP
OP
thedoctor

thedoctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think this is what happened. I had baby yoda sitting in the back. He wanted to go faster so he used the force to get the car into overboost. That may have overwhelmed the battery and cracked the screen.

Porsche Taycan Broken rear screen IMG_4031.PNG

Porsche Taycan Broken rear screen IMG_4032.PNG

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think this is what happened. I had baby yoda sitting in the back. He wanted to go faster so he used the force to get the car into overboost. That may have overwhelmed the battery and cracked the screen.
Woah there baby Yoda. This is a Taycan. Not a Tesla. We don’t damage it by making it go faster than it’s supposed to.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
For clarification, by back screen do you mean the back seat 4-zone and heated seat control? That’s $2k?!

OP
OP
thedoctor

thedoctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
For clarification, by back screen do you mean the back seat 4-zone and heated seat control? That’s $2k?!
Yes, the climate control screen. The protective plastic is still on it. I’m not an accident re-creation expert, but as an orthopaedic surgeon, bone fractures have a certain pattern based on the mechanism of injury. A direct impact would have a stellate or star like pattern, like if a baseball hit the window. Having 2 parallel cracks in the screen tells me someone was prying the screen upward from the corner.

Porsche Taycan Broken rear screen 91B8DD56-BC62-4482-9A56-59CD6EAB08EA

OP
OP
thedoctor

thedoctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So the baseball direct impact shows the stellate pattern. I found some pictures of a bending glass break and it shows the parallelish glass break pattern,

Porsche Taycan Broken rear screen 1C1832F0-90D7-4E63-ADFD-2F0F9980A9AC

Porsche Taycan Broken rear screen 0C0494E5-48A6-4333-8DB2-8842E0795B67

Porsche Taycan Broken rear screen 591857CB-2484-487B-A1BE-B402BE756608

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Seems pretty clear. I’m surprised they would have to remove it for the software upgrade. It’s also possible it’s a stress fracture. They over torqued it back down but it didn’t immediately crack. Once the car was in motion, the combination of the torque from the screws and the body flex caused it to crack. This would explain why the tech working on your car didn’t report it.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, the climate control screen. The protective plastic is still on it. I’m not an accident re-creation expert, but as an orthopaedic surgeon, bone fractures have a certain pattern based on the mechanism of injury. A direct impact would have a stellate or star like pattern, like if a baseball hit the window. Having 2 parallel cracks in the screen tells me someone was prying the screen upward from the corner.

91B8DD56-BC62-4482-9A56-59CD6EAB08EA.jpeg
What’s up with the screen color? Is it off or on in that pic?

OP
OP
thedoctor

thedoctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Seems pretty clear. I’m surprised they would have to remove it for the software upgrade. It’s also possible it’s a stress fracture. They over torqued it back down but it didn’t immediately crack. Once the car was in motion, the combination of the torque from the screws and the body flex caused it to crack. This would explain why the tech working on your car didn’t report it.
When it bricked the service manager told me that the Taycan actually has 3 batteries. There is the 12v in the frunk. There are the big ones that power the car. And there’s one in the console that runs the electronics. That one had to be replaced. It took 2 weeks to get one from Stuttgart. So that’s how I suspected they might have broken it inadvertently since I remembered him saying something about a console battery.
Sponsored