wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I have noticed recently a huge improvement from bluetooth to usbc cable. Quality gets much better on Burmester.
We use Amazon Music+ HD. The HD icon in your PC or phone reports Track Quality, Device Capability, Currently Playing at, and Codec. When playing Amazon HD audio from an iPhone 11 Max via Bluetooth to our KEF LS 50 wireless speakers, it reports Playing at "Standard", which I believe is CD quality. The latest version of Bluetooth and the latest decoders are remarkedly similar or the same as CD quality. I expect no less from Burmester but have not tried it yet.
Sponsored

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
We use Amazon Music+ HD. The HD icon in your PC or phone reports Track Quality, Device Capability, Currently Playing at, and Codec. When playing Amazon HD audio from an iPhone 11 Max via Bluetooth to our KEF LS 50 wireless speakers, it reports Playing at "Standard", which I believe is CD quality. The latest version of Bluetooth and the latest decoders are remarkedly similar or the same as CD quality. I expect no less from Burmester but have not tried it yet.
First of all, LS50 are great speakers, congrats on that. However, it only supports base aptX over Bluetooth, which is lossy compressed audio. Furthermore, I think Amazon quality tiers are SD/HD/Ultra HD. So if you're using "Standard" that also means lossy compression from the source (HD is the start of lossless).

JunneMendes

First Name
Junne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Country flag
Have a try of Tidal, which comes with HiFi and MQA quality after subscribed to Tidal HiFi plan. If it's not compatible with your device, you can use Tidal Music Converter to do format conversion. After that, you can start to set up the audio system with this system easily.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Have a try of Tidal, which comes with HiFi and MQA quality after subscribed to Tidal HiFi plan. If it's not compatible with your device, you can use Tidal Music Converter to do format conversion. After that, you can start to set up the audio system with this system easily.
Tidal is phenomenal. As one option, you can start with a set of artist icons for any category you want. Let's take rock as an example.

As you click on an icon, more icons appear that have similar styles to that person/group. You can run through hundreds of artists this way and set up your personal 'rock artist' list. Then you can go through each individual artist and pick what songs/albums you want to transfer to FLAC (I use DrMare). It took me about a week to run through all the rock artists I liked, and then to run through all the tracks and have them transferred to FLAC (You can do a few hundred overnight).

Based on your choices, Tidal then sets up a number of your personal "My Mix" folders with up to 100 songs each. I eliminate all the duplicates and transfer each of the folders to FLAC so I can hear some new stuff, and in case I missed any classics.

I'll have a few thousand Rock songs on my flash drive by next week, then I'll do the same for classical music, and have a separate flash drive for that. The Taycan has two USB ports, so I'll be able to switch easily. :rock:

Last edited:

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Can someone confirm that Tidal works with Apple CarPlay? (through the USB-C cable)

And maybe also post a picture of how the Tidal app looks like when used in Apple CarPlay?

I currently have Spotify but am thinking about switching over to Tidal Hifi plan when my car arrives, so I get the best music quality on my Burmester speakers.

Hardway6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Diesel
Country flag
I'm feeding FLAC's to the Burmester via the USB connection. I have about 7500 files like this. Its not a question if the Burmester can handle them. The question is: What is it doing with them? Burmester needs to give us the specs on their DAC so we know what it is capable of...

Just because you feed something a HiRes Audio File (or streams Tidal or Qobuz), and it "plays", it doesn't mean its providing you the original resolution of the file/stream. The iPhone is a perfect example of this... Tidal will tell you its playing an "MQA" quality stream, but thats NOT what you are hearing. This is why its nice to have a DAC (like the Dragonfly) which actually gives you indication of the resolution which is being delivered.
I am trying to get information as well. This is the response from Burmester.

"Thank you for your interest in our products.

The DAC is capable to process HiRes FLAC files from a USB storage or streaming device.

With kind regards

Your Burmester Service Team"

Does this answer the question?

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I am trying to get information as well. This is the response from Burmester.

"Thank you for your interest in our products.

The DAC is capable to process HiRes FLAC files from a USB storage or streaming device.

With kind regards

Your Burmester Service Team"

Does this answer the question?
That's funny. We knew that since a number of us have played FLAC files on the Burmester. A bit more detail would be informative... :rolleyes:

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Basically ANYTHING can "PROCESS" FLAC files... What we want to know is what is it doing (or not doing) to them. IE. An iPhone can "play" FLAC files but it won't deliver them at full resolution.

Their response tells us absolutely nothing that we don't already know. It will "play" them...

:-(

Hardway6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Diesel
Country flag
Basically ANYTHING can "PROCESS" FLAC files... What we want to know is what is it doing (or not doing) to them. IE. An iPhone can "play" FLAC files but it won't deliver them at full resolution.

Their response tells us absolutely nothing that we don't already know. It will "play" them...

:-(
Yes that's why I replied to them to give specifics about resolution.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Yes that's why I replied to them to give specifics about resolution.
There is also the possibility that the DAC is located in the PCM hardware and that Burmeister is just providing the Amp. (IOW - the same PCM circuitry is simply delivering analog audio - instead of raw digital data - as in the other Porsche options). I really hope thats not the case as it would be a pretty significant missed opportunity and weak point in the design...

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
Is there a difference with the Burmeister system regarding phone call quality?
Wondering if extra speakers and/or mics are used vs Bose system for superior quality?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
In the original press release for this – https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/201...streaming-experience-entertainment-18405.html – there is mention of combining Burmester and Apple Digital Masters via the built-in player:

"For music lovers with a fine ear, Taycan drivers can pair a Burmester High-End Surround Sound System with Apple Digital Masters and enjoy studio-quality sound for an unparalleled listening experience in every journey. Apple Digital Masters delivers music as artists and sound engineers intend it to be heard."

Anybody got more info on this or experienced it?

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
I am an 'audiophile' in the sense that I love music, especially when it is played through a very high quality system. My hearing is not terrific, so if I can hear a significant difference between systems, it is probably big.

I just downloaded the 'Tidal' app for my iPhone, and expect to receive my Taycan with Burmester in a few weeks. I wanted to see if there really was a noticeable difference for me between the Tidal and my standard iTunes music that I've downloaded over the years.

I really liked the Tidal setup for playlists. You pick out a particular genre, and they display artists, and you pick the ones you like. The display continues to show artists dependent upon your pics, and you can load hundreds of artists for a playlist this way. Then I compared the same songs played on Tidal and iTunes using my iPhone connected to my USB port in my Panamera Bose system. The difference was immediately apparent to me. I had a setup so I could switch back and forth between iTunes and Tidal quickly for the same section of the same tune. Way more range, clarity, separation and tightness of the bass with the 'lossless' Tidal tunes. I could actually feel the difference in terms of vibration of the armrest. I'm very excited to see how this sounds with the Burmester.

Anyone else have any opinions/suggestions on 'lossless' HD streaming music apps and their compatibility with the Taycan Burmester?
Were you using the premium or the HiFi version of Tidal. Separation and depth seem little different between Spotify and Tidal Premium.
Sponsored