Olav

First Name
Olav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
I am super happy with Burmester in my Taycan. It is crisp, clear, loud and wide dynamic range and is overall amazing. I highly recommend anyone who enjoys listening to music to get Burmester.
Sponsored

Roppe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S MY22
Country flag
I am super happy with Burmester in my Taycan. It is crisp, clear, loud and wide dynamic range and is overall amazing. I highly recommend anyone who enjoys listening to music to get Burmester.
Great to hear! What do you mainly use as source?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Does it support 192/24 FLAC files?
According to the Good To Know app in the Technical Details section the PCM can play sound files up to 320 kbit/s and a 48 kHz sampling frequency in a wide number of file formats.

Bill4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo ; CT4S ordered
Country flag
So I just tried a usb memory stick with flac files, and oh my... the difference! Spotify with bluetooth is crap compared to this. I will never ever use the bluetooth again. Just wow!
Does a usb memory stick with flac sound better than tidal on iPhone connected with cable.

tomhartzell

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
Does a usb memory stick with flac sound better than tidal on iPhone connected with cable.
Short answer: yes, flac files on a usb drive will sound equal to or better than coming from Tidal on your iPhone, depending upon the quality/resolution of the flac file. They won't sound any worse.

Disclaimer: I do not own a Taycan (yet), nor does my Cayenne have Burmester installed in it. I also do not consider myself to be an audiophile, so please be kind.

What my Cayenne does have is an upgraded stereo system that plays very high res flac files. Most of the flac music I listen to is 96kHz/24bit or higher. My taste in music is eclectic, and listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn at 176/24 or the Count Basie Orchestra at 96/24 is notably better than anything I've listened on any other device except using my DAC and headphones. (Note that I use USB drives for flac music in my car like Olav previously discussed.) There are also software packages out there that can convert an existing 44/16 CD to a 44/16 flac file you can subsequently load onto your USB drive; at least you're not losing any of the CD quality; experiencing any latency; or spending any additional funds to listen to the same song from a service.

In doing some preliminary research about Tidal, I've pasted two paragraphs from a recent article in What Hi*Fi? that may help. (https://www.whathifi.com/us/tidal/review) If you're not already enrolled in Tidal's HiFi Plus program, the best you'll be able to listen to is CD quality for playback. Some discussions on Reddit indicate that even if you are currently enrolled in Tidal's HiFi Plus program, some of the content Tidal lists as Master Quality in their HiFi Plus program may still only be CD quality. (i.e. 44/16)

"...Listening through a computer, via its 3.5mm headphone output, or through a connected (non-MQA-enabled) DAC gives the Tidal desktop app the reins over MQA’s core decoding, which has a limited output of 24-bit/96kHz. In other words, even if you’re streaming a 192kHz file, it will only be unpackaged to 96kHz.

Similarly, the iOS and Android apps can only complete the first 'unfold' of MQA file decoding, outputting streams at a maximum of 24-bit/96kHz. The only way to entirely unpackage an MQA file for playback, and therefore give you the most accurate representation of the file, is by pairing your Apple or Android device with an MQA-compatible DAC, taking the decoding process away from the software (Tidal app)..."

If I was ordering Burmester with my new Porsche, I would load flac music onto usb drives for the best sound until I found a service I was certain would offer music playback at least as good.

jlee504

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
targa gts
Country flag
I have it, even got the insulated glass to maximize the sounds inside. For the price I wouldn’t do it again, I think the meridian system on my previous Range Rover sounded better.

Bill4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo ; CT4S ordered
Country flag
I
Short answer: yes, flac files on a usb drive will sound equal to or better than coming from Tidal on your iPhone, depending upon the quality/resolution of the flac file. They won't sound any worse.

If I was ordering Burmester with my new Porsche, I would load flac music onto usb drives for the best sound until I found a service I was certain would offer music playback at least as good.
Thanks ! I downloaded FLAC files in HiRes and the music is so much better than with Tidal Hifi (connected with USB cable).

My issue now is that If I get out and in the car, music shifts back to carplay... is it possible to set a shorcut with the diamond so that music source is set on USB ? if so how ?

HarryB

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TurboS Gentian Blue
Country flag
I'm happy with the Burmester....but I hate to admit it, but the soundstage is wider and deeper and more coherent in my wife's Audi E-tron with Bang and Olufsen. Pains me to say it. However, Burmester is excellent and the best option in the Taycan.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I'm happy with the Burmester....but I hate to admit it, but the soundstage is wider and deeper and more coherent in my wife's Audi E-tron with Bang and Olufsen. Pains me to say it. However, Burmester is excellent and the best option in the Taycan.
So I would guess that some of the "width" comes from the shape of the E-Tron vs the more slopping cabin of the Taycan. I know the B&O in the Etron GT doesn't sound as good as my Burmeister did on the Taycan, and it doesn't sound any wider nor deeper, that is why I wonder if its because of speaker position and placement.

But as I said before I don't think the Burmeister is dollar for dollar in cost better!

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
The Burmeister is a nice upgrade. No one can say it doesn’t sound good. True audiophiles will go for a custom setup which could be done for similar money. If good sound is really important and you don’t already have a sound shop that you trust, the upgrade is a decent option. I didn’t select Burmeister personally because I feel that if I am going past Bose (which is decent), then I would rather go all the way and get a custom set up.
Sponsored