Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
For the phase 2 cable see this link:
Type 2 - Electric Vehicle Equipment
Picture below. There is single phase 16 or 32A and 3 phase 16 or 32A. Maybe one is just thicker cable than the other. The plugs look the same. Looks like the single phase only does up to 7.4kW. So for the max 11kW do I need a 3 phase? this would only be for an untethered charger that I find somewhere if I need to charge. If so, which is the one on the configurator? what will it support?

1628537684018.png

1628537623587.png
You are making this more complicated than it is.

Do you have (or will have) 3 phase supply at home?

If no then the cables you get with your charger will be fine.

3 phase supply is needed for both 11kW and 22kW home charging.

The phase conundrum is not relevant for public charging as the standard cable you get for untethered charge points supports and there is a single connector type.

If you aren't specifying the PMCC then unfortunately you can't get the free longer length cable but could be sourced elsewhere.

Silverback

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Model 3 Perf.
Country flag
Hi, I have just been through this over the past couple of weeks since I took delivery. I never added any additional options to the standard charging cables.

You get the supplied 'charger' (apologies to W1NGE for calling it a charger :))with two different tails/connectors. I don't have the commando socket at home so I use the 3pin plug, this charges at 0.10 Miles per minute for me (yes it will take days to charge from empty, but fine for top ups).

Out and about you will need a Type 2 to Type 2 cable (shocking that this does not come as standard). Whilst you may not have 3 phase power at home, many charing point use 3 phase to deliver 11kW. So buy a 3 phase cable (it still works on single phase and the price difference is minimal), I purchased this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MTAWTDY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, you may want a 7.5m or 10m. Time will tell if 5m is enough for me.

I am getting a Wall 'Charger' installed at home as there will be times I will need the full charge for the following day, so overnight as a higher speed is a must for me. I have gone for a 22kW charger as I have 3 phase at home and although I can only use 11kW with my Taycan, it gives me a bit of future proofing.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi, I have just been through this over the past couple of weeks since I took delivery. I never added any additional options to the standard charging cables.

You get the supplied 'charger' (apologies to W1NGE for calling it a charger :))with two different tails/connectors. I don't have the commando socket at home so I use the 3pin plug, this charges at 0.10 Miles per minute for me (yes it will take days to charge from empty, but fine for top ups).

Out and about you will need a Type 2 to Type 2 cable (shocking that this does not come as standard). Whilst you may not have 3 phase power at home, many charing point use 3 phase to deliver 11kW. So buy a 3 phase cable (it still works on single phase and the price difference is minimal), I purchased this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MTAWTDY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, you may want a 7.5m or 10m. Time will tell if 5m is enough for me.

I am getting a Wall 'Charger' installed at home as there will be times I will need the full charge for the following day, so overnight as a higher speed is a must for me. I have gone for a 22kW charger as I have 3 phase at home and although I can only use 11kW with my Taycan, it gives me a bit of future proofing.
The public Type 2 Mode 3 cable you got with the car will work on all untethered charge points across Europe - you don't need to purchase another. If you did not receive this cable then you have been short changed - or perhaps you didn't specify at order time?

If you also got either the PMC+ or purchased the PMCC you will have received a 32A supply cable to connect your shiny new wall box to your shiny new commando socket when you get it. I'm guessing you'll get one anyway with the new wall box. So you'll be 'cable rich' at the end of this escapade.

I understand that you will now have 2 "chargers" ;-) but either will require a 32A supply cable to take advantage of your 3 phase supply (rather envious of that!).

If you can be bothered I'd challenge the Porsche Dealership why you didn't get a public charging cable - you could have got stranded on the way home without one! It's not uncommon to hear from people (on this forum) that their PMCC's weren't shipped but in reality the dealer gave it to someone else - either at the dealership or during transit.

Last edited:

Silverback

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Model 3 Perf.
Country flag
You have a choice of a Public charging cable or the Mobile Charger Plus or you spec it at an additional £210. There are no details on the configurator of the spec of the cable (3phase, 32A etc) so I went for the Mobile Charger Plus, which is handy to have anyway.

I ordered the car and then moved house which happened to have 3phase power, bonus! However, I still would not have spent over £1k on the 22kW upgrade, 11kW is about 8hrs for a charge, which is good enough.

Porsche Taycan Cables 1628864430926

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
You have a choice of a Public charging cable or the Mobile Charger Plus or you spec it at an additional £210. There are no details on the configurator of the spec of the cable (3phase, 32A etc) so I went for the Mobile Charger Plus, which is handy to have anyway.

I ordered the car and then moved house which happened to have 3phase power, bonus! However, I still would not have spent over £1k on the 22kW upgrade, 11kW is about 8hrs for a charge, which is good enough.

1628864430926.png
Nice!

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I asked the dealer. The £210 one on the configurator is rated for 22kW. There is a right old mix of cables out there and it seems that if you want to charge at 11kW then you need a cable that claims to be 3 phase. Otherwise it will limit you to 7.4kW. Will probably just get the one off the configurator then if I have any issues I can go back to them. Still no idea what the £370 cables on the configurator do. Maybe have a nice Porsche crest

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I asked the dealer. The £210 one on the configurator is rated for 22kW. There is a right old mix of cables out there and it seems that if you want to charge at 11kW then you need a cable that claims to be 3 phase. Otherwise it will limit you to 7.4kW. Will probably just get the one off the configurator then if I have any issues I can go back to them. Still no idea what the £370 cables on the configurator do. Maybe have a nice Porsche crest
I have the £210 one and works fine on both 11kW and 22kW public chargers.

If you think about it the cable has to support all public AC charge points which range from 3.4kW up to 22kW - after that it's DC. Therefore you don't need to worry overthink - 1 cable does all.

Most charge points are tethered in any case so choice of cable becomes irrelevant at a certain point.

You only need 1 cable for any and all public charging.

MAVG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 4s (going); MY22 CT 4s (on order)
anyone has picture of the bog standard cable that comes with the car if you do not spec anything? (UK) Just want to make sure I have the right one

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
anyone has picture of the bog standard cable that comes with the car if you do not spec anything? (UK) Just want to make sure I have the right one
Which cable - EVSE to the car, EVSE to your mains supply, Public Charging Cable, or standard UK 3 pin 13A plug for connecting to your mains via a standard socket?

MAVG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 4s (going); MY22 CT 4s (on order)
just the one that would come with the car if you didn't select any options on the configurator (ie: probably would be a 3pin?) and also the "charger itself", how does that one look like. If you select the mobile charger connect, does it override the other one or do you get effectivelly two?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
just the one that would come with the car if you didn't select any options on the configurator (ie: probably would be a 3pin?) and also the "charger itself", how does that one look like. If you select the mobile charger connect, does it override the other one or do you get effectivelly two?
WIth either of the PMC+ (standard) or PMCC you should get either a 16A or 32 A supply cable (to connect to your device to your mains for full charging capability. Ideally, you want / need the 32A supply cable if you have a dedicated 32A supply from your main fuse box to obtain max power from a single phase electrical supply - this would give you 7.4kW charging (perfect setup for overnight charging at home). This may be an option on the configurator (can't remember) - but check it out.

If you don't have a dedicated supply then please arrange to get one (if able) otherwise you will be severely limited to using your 13A 3 pin for home charging which makes it entirely pointless.

In addition, and this relates to the mobile part of the charger name, you get a 13A 3 pin standard UK plug to use when somewhere remote / away from home. Glacially slow charging speeds and only to be used in dire emergencies (unless you have plenty of time (days) on hand).

Both cables have the same connector to the PMC+ / PMCC but differ to connect to your supply outlet as described above.

For public charging you need to specify the Public Charging Cable Mode 3 - this is only needed where the charge points (EVSE) are "untethered" ie AC chargers (generally 11kW and below) which don't have cables attached. You may never need it but always good to have. You will never need your own cable for DC charging as these are always "tethered".

In addition to the supply cables you also get a cable to connect your PMC+ / PMCC to the car itself so you don't need to worry on that front and ideally you want the longest cable on offer (7m) to give you some flexibility.

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag

Jonttt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo
Country flag
Its worth noting that there is a big weight difference between a single phase and 3 phase cable.
3 phase is much thicker, heavier and harder to handle.
Charing at home on single phase its much easier to handle a single phase cable as that is all you will need BUT if you only want one cable then a 3 phase offers options to use away from home on 3 phase AC public outlets ie up to 22Kwh

As an example I have a long 7.5m 3 phase cable in the Frunk for emergency public charging up to 22Kwh (I only use DC charging by choice so don’t need a cable for that) but have a short 1.5m 3 phase cable in the boot which I use at work as that length is all I need in my parking space. Believe me a 1.5m v 7.5m 3 phase cable is a hell of a lot easier to handle.
At home I have a 5 meter single phase cable (as I can only charge up to 7Kwh at home) and that is easy to handle as its a lot thinner.

You don’t want to be using a 3 phase long cable a lot, they are a nightmare to handle ;-)

Re the mobile charge unit, that comes with a 3 pin plug / swappable blue industrial socket. The 3 pin plug can be used if your staying away eg at a cottage or relatives to add charge over a few days if your not using the car much or to add emergency charge to get to a proper charger. The blue industrial plug can be used at Camp sites if you get a powered pitch, fine if your mainly parked up for a few days. I just leave these in the frunk with the long 3 phase cable for emergency use.
Sponsored