Can dealer up price when custom-ordered car arrives?

EVer

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model3
Country flag
Hi all just wondering if I should at all worry that dealer could up the price when my car arrives in 2 weeks. I place order and put 5k deposit back in July. Of course, the market has changed since then and the Taycan is in huge demand, and I know dealers are getting above MSRP on the cars they sell off the lot. The document I signed then was a “personalized quote” and of course has language on the bottom about being an “estimate only and may vary subject to” blah blah blah.
Has anyone had their price changed/increased from the original quote after the car arrives? Is their any sort of binding agreement to the original order or do you just have to hope the dealer acts gentlemanly about it?
Sponsored

electric9925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
I ordered mine a week ago and had everything written down when I signed for it. I’m pretty sure the price is “subject” reference things like exact DMV and license fees. I’ve never heard of anyone charging above MSRP once the car comes, that’s something they usually say before you order it (never pay above MSRP from any dealer).

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
The prices should only change if the price on the configurator changes in between order and lock down. You shouldn‘t pay more than the current configurator price

OP
OP

EVer

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model3
Country flag
Thanks for replies. Yes my price has changed (order was the 2021 price, has increased $2800 for 2022) and I changed the configuration a little before lockdown, prepared for that, just don’t want any surprise dealer up charge type of thing happening. I feel for the dealerships, I asked for a test-drive a while back and salesman said they had no cars period to sell or test-drive, so I’m sure there must be a temptation to up the price on their part to make up for lost revenue now.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Hi all just wondering if I should at all worry that dealer could up the price when my car arrives in 2 weeks. I place order and put 5k deposit back in July. Of course, the market has changed since then and the Taycan is in huge demand, and I know dealers are getting above MSRP on the cars they sell off the lot. The document I signed then was a “personalized quote” and of course has language on the bottom about being an “estimate only and may vary subject to” blah blah blah.
Has anyone had their price changed/increased from the original quote after the car arrives? Is their any sort of binding agreement to the original order or do you just have to hope the dealer acts gentlemanly about it?
you have a contract with the dealer, if they try to upcharge you they are violating the contract, they may try to give you a hard sell on dealer installed options but you are not obliged to buy anything beyond what was agreed to

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
There are two scenarios.

1) If your build hasn't been finalized, ie.. the final date where changes are accepted and the car enters factory queue. MSRP -from Porsche- can change before this time. The cost of options and recommended MSRP from Porsche is set at the build date, anything before then is a guess. Generally changes happen with model years and they don't randomly go about altering prices. But your "window sticker" is created when the car is built and the vin is generated.

2) You agree to a finalized build sheet but the dealership attempts to charge you more when the car shows up.

1 is normal practice and what the "amounts may change" refers to.

2 is likely a violation of consumer law where you live and completely unethical.

So no, in your situation the dealership almost certainly cannot legally upcharge you and I doubt they attempt to. They might try to sell you addons, etc.. in an especially pushy way but just say no and only agree to pay the build sheet + required taxes/registration fees. Also double check what they quote you for fees to make sure the numbers are accurate.

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
Dealer can do this for sure - that’s the reason form the fine print of being an estimate. They can certainly add a market adjustment. Sure you could walk but they would likely sell the car in an instant anyway. Just depends how shady the dealer is and how much they care about you as a client. Maybe you should just ask the dealer this specifically on an email so you have it in writing.

OP
OP

EVer

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model3
Country flag
Appreciate all the replies. RCorsa’s reply is the one that I’m worried about. It’s a reputable dealer but also a very unusual market right now. The salesman did say a few months ago when I kind of balked at not getting a test-drive even that if I didn’t want the car once it came that they would be very happy to give my deposit back and then sell the car on their own for more than MSRP.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Appreciate all the replies. RCorsa’s reply is the one that I’m worried about. It’s a reputable dealer but also a very unusual market right now. The salesman did say a few months ago when I kind of balked at not getting a test-drive even that if I didn’t want the car once it came that they would be very happy to give my deposit back and then sell the car on their own for more than MSRP.
I don't believe RCorsa's concerns are valid in your case. You have a $5,000 deposit and (presumably) a signed build sheet for a custom ordered car. While build sheets and such say the price can change, that is regarding the scenario #1 I posted and does not apply to scenario #2. The price can change based on Porsche's MSRP, not because the dealership suddenly wants to charge you more.

If the dealer was going to charge you a markup they needed to make that clear before taking your money and reaching an order agreement. They did not and they will not. As your own latest reply shows, they are aware of that and the only way they can mark it up is by YOU backing out of the sale.

They may attempt to get money out of you in some other way, but they are now obligated by consumer law & their agreement with PCNA to sell you your order at the manufacturer directed price with only relevant & disclosed taxes and fees. There's a big difference between a car you have an order agreement & deposit on versus an inventory car and PCNA will hold the dealership to that.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The dealer can try to change terms on you even with all that paperwork, even if it's a larger dealer than you'd expect to be "reputable". Porsche Bellevue is a "flagship dealership" for Porsche, and they tried to change terms on my Taycan 4S a few months ago (market was heating up, but not as bad as now). I had money down, signed paperwork etc. They tried playing a "Porsche changed the financing" instead of "market adjustment"... but the end result is the same: they tried changing the deal post fact. Took me 4 hours and escalating through their ranks to get it back to the originally agreed numbers (that were already quite favorable to them).

My perspective: Until you have the car, assume that they can pull stunts like that and come prepared. It's really unfortunate that we have to deal with dealers like that.

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
Exactly as full metal said. Dealership can do whatever they want until The car is paid for in full. Porsche Bellevue is owned by Autonation which is one of the largest dealer groups in the USA and if they will try it, anyone will. All those you scream buyer protection etc I’m sure the law varies state to state but who’s going to hire a $500/hr attorney to fight this? They can just offer your deposit back and then you really have no harm financially so it’s a tough case to make. Honestly though Alex, if your car gets here in 2 weeks just press the dealer for your sales contract and pay for car in full. You‘ll know for sure what the price is then. Or as I mentioned above, just ask your SA via email to confirm what your total sales price is?

Last edited:
OP
OP

EVer

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model3
Country flag
Well I’ll be sure to post what happens when my car does arrive.

thedoctor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I believe that they can make a market adjustment when the car arrives as i’ve seen articles written about that exact thing with the new Ford Bronco. After the Broncos have been arriving a year after the order, the dealers have been demanding $5000 over MSRP and the journalists writing these stories say that apparently you can’t do anything about it.

mdrobc1213

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, Taycan CT4, 992 Carrera,
Country flag
I ordered mine a week ago and had everything written down when I signed for it. I’m pretty sure the price is “subject” reference things like exact DMV and license fees. I’ve never heard of anyone charging above MSRP once the car comes, that’s something they usually say before you order it (never pay above MSRP from any dealer).
Same here...that is what I've seen before myself and from many of my friends who have bought cars. DMV and license fees do change however often and may flex some but not the MSRP and definately not a significant ADM when you show up to take delivery out of the blue.
The prices should only change if the price on the configurator changes in between order and lock down. You shouldn‘t pay more than the current configurator price
IF MSRP changes or options change then yes...price in the end will change. My car allocated is in production now and price has bumped I think $2800 since its a MY22 but otherwise I have a build sheet upon my last update with a confirmed price and another sheet signed off by dealership as to deposit given and build and cost as designated by Porsche at MSRP plus shipping. Prior car purchased in Nov 2020 from same dealership followed similar lines for an ordered allocation car and paid exactly what we agreed. Only variable was taxes/tags which changed due to local cost/fees that adjusted.
We have heard of stories in the US where less than reputable dealers will sell an ordered car out from under the customer for more $$$. Customers are told some story like the car was severely damaged in transit or made to the wrong spec. You would be surprised how many folks never signed up for TYD.
Yes friend of mine had a GT4 Cayman sold from him with the "you're an out of state buyer and may flip the car" line although he had a contract, and paid a deposit and was set to wire the dealer the $$$. So it can happen at some dealers. Be prepared and if needed walk away and share the behavior with others including the Rennlist. For the most part many dealers do NOT want that type of reputation widely known and if it gets too flagrant Porsche NA will cut their allocations (have heard of it happening on occasions) which means even less desirable models to sell if they regularly shaft customers...so in many cases its not worth it. But these are crazy times...
The dealer can try to change terms on you even with all that paperwork, even if it's a larger dealer than you'd expect to be "reputable". Porsche Bellevue is a "flagship dealership" for Porsche, and they tried to change terms on my Taycan 4S a few months ago (market was heating up, but not as bad as now). I had money down, signed paperwork etc. They tried playing a "Porsche changed the financing" instead of "market adjustment"... but the end result is the same: they tried changing the deal post fact. Took me 4 hours and escalating through their ranks to get it back to the originally agreed numbers (that were already quite favorable to them).

My perspective: Until you have the car, assume that they can pull stunts like that and come prepared. It's really unfortunate that we have to deal with dealers like that.
Yes some dealers will try it but that is where one must do their due dillegence here and know your dealership and the terms of the deal. Many times dealers who value the longer relationship with the customer (service, repeat sales, etc) will not attempt such actions as the $5k-10k made then is not worth the longer term losses. Others will do it. Porsche of Tacoma is one that did that same trick to a friend of mine when he ordered a Cayman GT4 a while back so yeah not surprised if common at some WA dealerships.
I believe that they can make a market adjustment when the car arrives as i’ve seen articles written about that exact thing with the new Ford Bronco. After the Broncos have been arriving a year after the order, the dealers have been demanding $5000 over MSRP and the journalists writing these stories say that apparently you can’t do anything about it.
Many of the Broncos issue were not for ordered cars but dealer ordered ones. Not customer spec'd cars. As said before some do try it especially unscrupulous ones who don't care about anything other than profits.

Toodal00

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD, 21 Tesla MY, Mercedes E350, GLC 300
Country flag
If you have a car on order with Porsche of Peoria, avoid it at all costs, they are all bunch of crooks. Wasted three weeks of my time for a car I put down a deposit on and even ran my credit with Porsche USA. They jacked up the financing fee with what they promised and I said I want to buy the car cash. They said if you want to do that we will raise the cars price. Basically black mailing me. Horrible people, even the receptionist was in on it. They claimed they were always with a customer and busy, as if im not a customer, Lucas Dam is the sales manager and David Slyman is the only sales person for Porsche at that dealership. Both crooks! The worst person was the financing guy, which again is the only finance person for four different brands.

This was the car I was trying to purchase, they told me at first it has 16 miles on it but then said its 86 miles during paper work. I was attempting to buy it September first, its still for sale as of today. Shows you how much of a crook they are.

https://www.porschepeoria.com/inventory/new-2021-porsche-taycan-rwd-4d-sedan-wp0aa2y10msa17467

VIN: WP0AA2Y10MSA17467
Sponsored