Can you add Taycan GTS Sport Sound file to other models?

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
Probably ess being a sound chip manufacturer
Sponsored

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Is there an actual ESS "module"? Could you just buy the GTS part for that?
Do you think Porsche sells model-specific parts, particularly up-model parts, to just anyone?

My guess is that you'd need a GTS vin, and they would only do it in the rare event of a fault, requiring a swap against the old one.

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
Do you think Porsche sells model-specific parts, particularly up-model parts, to just anyone?

My guess is that you'd need a GTS vin, and they would only do it in the rare event of a fault, requiring a swap against the old one.
Never had Porsche try to VIN lock a part, nor have I heard of anyone getting blocked like that. If they sell the part separately, I'm sure you can buy it.

Only hold up would be if it's part of another module and it wasn't a separate part. But if it's literally just a part, I have no qualms that I could go to the dealer and buy it. They don't care.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Never had Porsche try to VIN lock a part, nor have I heard of anyone getting blocked like that. If they sell the part separately, I'm sure you can buy it.

Only hold up would be if it's part of another module and it wasn't a separate part. But if it's literally just a part, I have no qualms that I could go to the dealer and buy it. They don't care.
Try it. Report back.

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Try it. Report back.
If I had a part number, and if I had a car to put it in, I absolutely would!

Have you ever had them try to VIN block a part? Truly, I've never heard of them doing that.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
If I had a part number, and if I had a car to put it in, I absolutely would!

Have you ever had them try to VIN block a part? Truly, I've never heard of them doing that.
Do you think they will sell GT3 parts to let someone upscale their base 911? I don't.

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you think they will sell GT3 parts to let someone upscale their base 911? I don't.
Absolutely they would, and people have done it. People retrofit GT2 Intercoolers on a standard Turbo in the 997 model all the time.

It's not done all that often as a lot of times the parts don't fit, especially in the modern cars. Your example of unfitting a base 911 to GT3 spec starts to become less and less attractive as the cars get newer. The price gets so expensive that you might as well sell your car and get a GT3.

But yes, 100% I know people who have done it. There was just a thread in the 958 Cayenne forum of a gentleman who bought Carbon Ceramic brakes for his Cayenne Diesel...a car that was never offered with PCCB's. And there have been multiple threads over the years of owners around the globe converting their lower level 911's to a GT3 "look-alike" because the purchase price or registration taxes on a full GT3 are too prohibitive.

What does Porsche care? People have been backdating, updating and modifying Porsche sports cars for decades. It's part of the culture. Because Porsche made such long model runs for the 911, and kept the architecture the same for so long, basically there are many swaps you can do all the way from a '67 up to a G body ('89?). And even into the 964 there are many parts you could take from that into an older car. Putting 993 Turbo brakes on 'lesser' 911's is a very, very common practice. There are countless examples.

Not sure why you think they have such a reticence against this.

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Heh, not for me thanks. I'm not trying to pump a bunch of artificial sound out into the world. In fact, when I got my 2020 Model 3, the first thing I did was disconnect the PWS speaker to keep it quiet outside.
Kind of a dick move. That sound is to warn pedestrians. It's for safety.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag

Porsche sells the sport sound as a retrofit part, you can pick it up from suncoast online for example. If you are correct, then all it would take is find a GTS VIN online (porsche finder, copart, online listings?), get the GTS module, swap out your own module. They might not even require a VIN, I know I picked up the side markers without specifying a VIN (it was an option, but I didn’t have a VIN yet). Alternatively look for the sound module from a totaled car from one of the used parts places. Of course, that only works if what you said is true.

Last edited: