Car Charged to 100% in spite of Profile

ripcordaff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Since I got my Taycan, I have been using the General Charging Profile with the “Minimum Charge” set to 85%. Despite the confusing use of the word “minimum”, the car charged to 85% every night. I recently signed up for a Time of Use plan with my utility company, and thus must restrict my charging to between 9 PM and 6 AM. So I created a new, location-specific charging profile for those preferred times with the same 85% minimum charge target.

However, this morning the car was charging and targeted to reach 100% by 6 AM. Any ideas as to why the car ignored the 85% target charge rate? The only thing that is different from the General profile is the location (my home, since I want the car to charge up to 85% if I plug in elsewhere during the day) and the preferred times.

A search of this forum reveals a few people with similar issues, but those are all several years ago, so perhaps Porsche cleared up a software bug? The one thing I can think of is that when I established the new profile, the car was already at 85%. So maybe when 9PM rolled around, the car immediately started charging and once it was beyond the 85% target, it just kept going?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Since I got my Taycan, I have been using the General Charging Profile with the “Minimum Charge” set to 85%. Despite the confusing use of the word “minimum”, the car charged to 85% every night. I recently signed up for a Time of Use plan with my utility company, and thus must restrict my charging to between 9 PM and 6 AM. So I created a new, location-specific charging profile for those preferred times with the same 85% minimum charge target.

However, this morning the car was charging and targeted to reach 100% by 6 AM. Any ideas as to why the car ignored the 85% target charge rate? The only thing that is different from the General profile is the location (my home, since I want the car to charge up to 85% if I plug in elsewhere during the day) and the preferred times.

A search of this forum reveals a few people with similar issues, but those are all several years ago, so perhaps Porsche cleared up a software bug? The one thing I can think of is that when I established the new profile, the car was already at 85%. So maybe when 9PM rolled around, the car immediately started charging and once it was beyond the 85% target, it just kept going?
You need a profile and a timer.

Minimum = "Charge straight away to the set minimum level if not already at this level or above".

Timer will control the start and end time.

So I'd set your profile to 25% (if that's enough for emergencies) and a daily timer that starts and ends between the times set.

No bug.

AmpedUp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
Above post is mostly correct, except you cannot choose a start time for the timer.

Set your "minimum" to whatever you want the car to charge to right away. The lowest minimum you can set is 25%. Even during peak hours, if the car is plugged in it with charge up to 25% or whatever you have selected.

Then set a timer to reach 85% charge by 6am. If your charger is slow, it might start before 9pm, but let's do some quick math to see... Because you can't choose a start time, you need to size your charger such that it will not start before 9pm. You can only set the finish time of 6am, and the start time varies and is simply determined by the car based on how fast it can charge and how much of a charge it needs to recover by that time each day. If it is at 80% already, it might only need an hour to charge, so it will start at 5am, for example.

So here is the math. Going from 25% to 85% is 65% battery charge. 65% of battery of 93.4kWh is ~60.7kWh. You have 9 hours in which to charge that amount each night. That means you need to charge 6.75kW per hour to get 60.7kWh into the battery.

I'm assuming you are charging at 240 volts level 2, which means 6.75kW * 1000 W/kW / 240 volts = 28.1 amps. This means as long as you have 28 amps or more, your charging session will start AFTER 9pm. If your EVSE is less than 28 amps, it might (if you are starting at 25%) start before 9pm in order to reach 85% by 6am. This means a 30 amp plug (which delivers only 24 amps to the EVSE) could cause some peak charging before 9pm, but I suspect unless you drive a lot every day, a 30 amp plug would work for you most days. Otherwise, consider getting a 50 amp plug and 40 amp EVSE.

If you drive very little in a typical day, you might not care about what the math above says. If you never pull into your garage with less than 60% charge, you might not need many amps at all.

Important thing to note is that you can't control the start time. Or at least you can only control it to an extent by having a charger that is fast enough to ensure you only charge off-peak.

OP
OP

ripcordaff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Above post is mostly correct, except you cannot choose a start time for the timer.

Set your "minimum" to whatever you want the car to charge to right away. The lowest minimum you can set is 25%. Even during peak hours, if the car is plugged in it with charge up to 25% or whatever you have selected.

Then set a timer to reach 85% charge by 6am. If your charger is slow, it might start before 9pm, but let's do some quick math to see... Because you can't choose a start time, you need to size your charger such that it will not start before 9pm. You can only set the finish time of 6am, and the start time varies and is simply determined by the car based on how fast it can charge and how much of a charge it needs to recover by that time each day. If it is at 80% already, it might only need an hour to charge, so it will start at 5am, for example.

So here is the math. Going from 25% to 85% is 65% battery charge. 65% of battery of 93.4kWh is ~60.7kWh. You have 9 hours in which to charge that amount each night. That means you need to charge 6.75kW per hour to get 60.7kWh into the battery.

I'm assuming you are charging at 240 volts level 2, which means 6.75kW * 1000 W/kW / 240 volts = 28.1 amps. This means as long as you have 28 amps or more, your charging session will start AFTER 9pm. If your EVSE is less than 28 amps, it might (if you are starting at 25%) start before 9pm in order to reach 85% by 6am. This means a 30 amp plug (which delivers only 24 amps to the EVSE) could cause some peak charging before 9pm, but I suspect unless you drive a lot every day, a 30 amp plug would work for you most days. Otherwise, consider getting a 50 amp plug and 40 amp EVSE.

If you drive very little in a typical day, you might not care about what the math above says. If you never pull into your garage with less than 60% charge, you might not need many amps at all.

Important thing to note is that you can't control the start time. Or at least you can only control it to an extent by having a charger that is fast enough to ensure you only charge off-peak.
Fantastic! Thank you for the explanation. My soon-to-be installed Gen 3 Tesla should deliver 10-11 amps on a dedicated 60 amp circuit, so this sounds like it will work great. I admit that I don’t understand why Porsche uses the term “Minimum Charge” in the General Profile to mean MAXIMUM charge, but the term “Minimum Charge” in a profile with a preferred charging time actually means MINIMUM Charge level…go figure.

Last edited:

AmpedUp

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
Fantastic! Thank you for the explanation. My soon-to-be installed Gen 3 Tesla should deliver 10-11 amps on a dedicated tamp circuit, so this sounds like it will work great. I admit that I don’t understand why Porsche uses the term “Minimum Charge” in the General Profile to mean MAXIMUM charge, but the term “Minimum Charge” in a profile with a preferred charging time actually means MINIMUM Charge level…go figure.
Yes, literally everyone finds this confusing. They should just have three main settings. "Minimum charge", "maximum charge", and "only charge to maximum during these hours".

OP
OP

ripcordaff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok, I’ve been reading a number of threads about this and still am not entirely sure I have it set up correct. Here is my desired scenario:
  • When at home, I want the car to charge only between the hours of 9 PM and 6 AM (due to my utility company’s time of use plan) and stop at a 85% SOC.
  • When I am NOT at home, but using a Lvl 2 charger, I want the car to charge immediately when I plug it in, but stop at 85%.
I understand now that I need to use a mix of profile and timers to accomplish these goals. Here is my current set up:

1) Location Independent Profile - 85% min charge rate. No preferred charge time.
2) Location Specific Profile (my house) - 25% min charge rate. No preferred charge time.
3) Timer - Repeating daily, 85% target charge level, 6AM departure.

At first, I thought the location independent profile would charge me up to 85% if I’m NOT at home, since the 25% profile for my home address would take over and charge up just to 25% when I plug in during the afternoon at home (leaving the daily repeating timers to bring the car up to 85% overnight).

However, as I consider this more, will the daily repeating timers prevent the location independent profile from charging up to 85% when I’m NOT at home (since they will hold charging until night in preparation for the 6AM departure)? Or will the 85% location independent profile overrule the timers and charge immediately irrespective of the timers?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Ok, I’ve been reading a number of threads about this and still am not entirely sure I have it set up correct. Here is my desired scenario:
  • When at home, I want the car to charge only between the hours of 9 PM and 6 AM (due to my utility company’s time of use plan) and stop at a 85% SOC.
  • When I am NOT at home, but using a Lvl 2 charger, I want the car to charge immediately when I plug it in, but stop at 85%.
I understand now that I need to use a mix of profile and timers to accomplish these goals. Here is my current set up:

1) Location Independent Profile - 85% min charge rate. No preferred charge time.
2) Location Specific Profile (my house) - 25% min charge rate. No preferred charge time.
3) Timer - Repeating daily, 85% target charge level, 6AM departure.

At first, I thought the location independent profile would charge me up to 85% if I’m NOT at home, since the 25% profile for my home address would take over and charge up just to 25% when I plug in during the afternoon at home (leaving the daily repeating timers to bring the car up to 85% overnight).

However, as I consider this more, will the daily repeating timers prevent the location independent profile from charging up to 85% when I’m NOT at home (since they will hold charging until night in preparation for the 6AM departure)? Or will the 85% location independent profile overrule the timers and charge immediately irrespective of the timers?
You fundamentally need a timer (departure) to be set and if the public location is your regular then make this a location based profile also.

I have 2 active location based profiles and 1 timer. The car automatically knows where it is and so the correct profile is always engaged. Target charge set to 85% and minimum set to 25%.

Works seamlessly.

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
At the moment I don’t worry about when I charge my Taycan, don’t need to set timer. However I want to set maximum charge to 80% most of the time and 100% occasionally. I can’t see how one can do this from the app. I know it’s possible but need help !!!!

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
At the moment I don’t worry about when I charge my Taycan, don’t need to set timer. However I want to set maximum charge to 80% most of the time and 100% occasionally. I can’t see how one can do this from the app. I know it’s possible but need help !!!!
General profile
Min charge 80%
Optimized charging

To go to 100%, do any one of the below:
  • Timer set to 100% for your departure time
  • Or enable direct charging
  • Or deactivate the general profile
All of that is available in the app if you select your car, go to Functions, and then Charging.
Sponsored