Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
on 2/9/21 took car to dealer to fix Connect not working . They diagnosed the issue as the control module (not the OTA). They unplugged it and reprogrammed it. Today the PCM failed. not only no LTE connection but also cell phone won't connect to car. Notified dealer I intend to return the car for a full refund if problem not fixed. Also put Porsche N. America on notice. Dealer called me told me they are seeing several Taycan's with same problem and the central computer in the car is failing. Seems to indicate a problem that many owners will experience since the failures are all starting to occur now. Dealer has 6 computers on order from Germany. Sounds like they expect a lot of failures in coming weeks/months. The idea that connect issues maybe limited to the OTA or control module may not be indicative of the true issue- the true issue could be the central computer is defective and Porsche knows this but has not announced a recall yet. Mercedes Benz recently recalled over 1 million cars for communication problems. BTW counter to what some have stated the NHSTSA Agency does consider OTA, communication modules a safety issue.
Sponsored

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I wonder what "central computer" means in a car with so many distributed computer subsystems...

There seems to be one computer that drives the three control screens (central display, passenger display, lower control panel). PCM and its LTE data connection (as a group of services) live on that one computer. I'm guessing this is the one...

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
I suspect that the module your dealer is referring to is the Communications module in the car. Mine failed last September and was ultimately replaced along with my passenger screen and a Bluetooth module. As I recall, the Communications module is buried in the center console area of the car. It's a straightforward replacement and "commissioning" of the car once the hardware is replaced. The nice thing is that the configuration data you already programmed is held on Porsche's (unreliable) servers. Once the car wakes up, all config data is pushed from Germany. When I got my car back, I was expecting to have to re-program PCM favorites, Homelink setups, etc.... Nope, it all came back like magic!

Now if I could just get the car to stop reporting a VIN Mismatch to Porsche Connect every time I start the car that would be great! I literally know most of the people at the Porsche Connect Call Center on a first name basis now. They've been calling me every day, oftentimes multiple times per shift!, since November 29th. Car is with the dealer as of last night to try to (finally) rectify the mismatch somewhere in the Porsche electronic ecosystem.

With all that, I am not going to resort to whining. This is a new platform and whether you like it or not, you are an ALPHA tester! Recognize it for what it is, and do your part to help resolve the issues rather than simply complaining about them - i.e. "How could Porsche possibly release......"

Toby

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
I suspect that the module your dealer is referring to is the Communications module in the car. Mine failed last September and was ultimately replaced along with my passenger screen and a Bluetooth module. As I recall, the Communications module is buried in the center console area of the car. It's a straightforward replacement and "commissioning" of the car once the hardware is replaced. The nice thing is that the configuration data you already programmed is held on Porsche's (unreliable) servers. Once the car wakes up, all config data is pushed from Germany. When I got my car back, I was expecting to have to re-program PCM favorites, Homelink setups, etc.... Nope, it all came back like magic!

Now if I could just get the car to stop reporting a VIN Mismatch to Porsche Connect every time I start the car that would be great! I literally know most of the people at the Porsche Connect Call Center on a first name basis now. They've been calling me every day, oftentimes multiple times per shift!, since November 29th. Car is with the dealer as of last night to try to (finally) rectify the mismatch somewhere in the Porsche electronic ecosystem.

With all that, I am not going to resort to whining. This is a new platform and whether you like it or not, you are an ALPHA tester! Recognize it for what it is, and do your part to help resolve the issues rather than simply complaining about them - i.e. "How could Porsche possibly release......"

Toby
No one hear is whining but the fact is when you pay $150k for a car and the computer is less reliable than a $300 ipad, owner's have the right to demand reliable repairs. Porsche released a car that they stated was reliable and backed that up with a warranty. If your willing to accept a defective car thats your choice. Most of us have higher expectations for Performance and reliability.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No one hear is whining but the fact is when you pay $150k for a car and the computer is less reliable than a $300 ipad, owner's have the right to demand reliable repairs. Porsche released a car that they stated was reliable and backed that up with a warranty. If your willing to accept a defective car thats your choice. Most of us have higher expectations for Performance and reliability.
206K here.

1) No A/C in summer. Freon was released- bad o ring at facility
2) No data connection or connect- OTA needed to be repalced
3) Dead 12V battery- at dealership now
4) ??

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
206K here.

1) No A/C in summer. Freon was released- bad o ring at facility
2) No data connection or connect- OTA needed to be repalced
3) Dead 12V battery- at dealership now
4) ??
Just heard from dealer. PORSCHE not going to replace modules. They are releasing a major software up date mid to end of march that they claim will fix all the connect and module issues in 2020 taycan’s. Porsche now believes the issues are all software related not hardware. Replacing the OTA chris won t resolve your issues.

Toby Pennycuff

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911S, Porsche 930, Porsche GT3 Cup, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Let's be clear..... I paid just as much as anyone else on this forum for my Taycan. I *expect* reliable operation and repairs just like any other owner. I *too* expect performance and reliability for my hard-earned money. I am as frustrated as anyone with the situation. I am not happy with Porsche's response so far.

Quite frankly this situation appears to me to encompass many issues:
  1. Just-in-time logistics that limit availability of repair/warranty parts
  2. A complete lack of understanding by virtually everyone in Porsche's Repair ladder of the software/technical complexity of the "system" Porsche has assembled (most experienced Porsche dealership technicians know how to build motors/transmissions/etc... but still struggle with coming to grips with a PST device).
  3. Likely, a very real lack of comprehension/understanding of the intricate integrations built into this ecosystem that supports the Taycan (or most other Porsche products these days) - everything from ATT/Verizon/et al to ElectrifyAmerica (and its European counterparts) to Voddfone to AWS to Porsche IT has their finger in this pie - not to mention all of the firmware developers building all kinds of control modules and electronic bits in a very isolated state. I would be shocked if anyone in Germany actually understands the overall system that has been cobbled together. They certainly do not understand the impact on the Customer.

I love driving my Taycan. I hate the fact that Porsche did not adequately prepare dealers and their technicians to service these cars, did not have adequate inventory on-hand to address repair issues, and has not taken the time to assemble a detailed "systems" view of the ecosystem necessary to support all the "great ideas" that surfaced in this car. The jury is out on whether Porsche will be able to overcome these issues. I hope they will.

But to be perfectly clear, my expectations are no lower than anyone else's on this forum. I've seen this movie far too many times in a corporate IT space for a very long time (decades). This train wreck has been in the making for many years at this point, and it's too damn bad that Porsche's hubris got in the way of delivering a breakthrough vehicle whose sum of its parts actually all work together.

No need to flame me....... I've expressed my opinion.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just heard from dealer. PORSCHE not going to replace modules. They are releasing a major software up date mid to end of march that they claim will fix all the connect and module issues in 2020 taycan’s. Porsche now believes the issues are all software related not hardware. Replacing the OTA chris won t resolve your issues.
That big update was supposed to be released in January, then Feb, now March. Let's see if/when the update happens and if it will fix all the problems.

Last edited:

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
That big update was supposed to be released in January, then Feb, now March. Let's see if/when the update happens and if it will fix all the problem.
Crisk the good news we live in CA which has the nations strongest lemon law.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This is not true if your 2020 OTA module has already entered the corrupted memory state. The update might prevent it from getting there but won't recover it if it's already there.

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
This is not true if your 2020 OTA module has already entered the corrupted memory state. The update might prevent it from getting there but won't recover it if it's already there.
So hard to get accurate info from porsche. They previously said my ota module ok. Said issue was control module. They unplugged it an re plugged. Everything worked for 2 weeks. Now nothing works. Dealer wanted to replace “central computer” and porsche germany said no that the siftware update will fix all taycan 2020 cars having connect problems. If they do not get it right thru update im returning the car. Its not worth the problems.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So hard to get accurate info from porsche. They previously said my ota module ok. Said issue was control module. They unplugged it an re plugged. Everything worked for 2 weeks. Now nothing works. Dealer wanted to replace “central computer” and porsche germany said no that the siftware update will fix all taycan 2020 cars having connect problems. If they do not get it right thru update im returning the car. Its not worth the problems.
If you qualify for the lemon law (3 unsuccessful attempts to repair or 30 days out of service) then maybe use it. Why would you want to keep the 2020 model instead of replacing with a 2021 or 2022 if you can?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
software update will resolve all your issues…it will be released ”soon”

:giggle:

yeah I’m holding my breath...

I just can’t shake the assertions that I’ve heard for the past 3 or 4 years that Porsche would never do anything like that other EV company that produces such bad products…

it’s a new world folks - perhaps everyone is making it up as they go along…

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Daveo so true lol. But how is it apple can make a $300 watch who’s software is reliable and features outmatch everything porsche connect has. The porsche connect and pcm are not new technolgy. The issue maybe clowns are designing porsche’s software and germany and vw have mastered not delivering a reliable car. Time for a prius?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
software is hard - it takes a lot work to be an overnight success - and Apple’s software is leveraging Unix developments that have been going on since the 1970’s - and they are vertically integrated - controlling everything from top to bottom…

it’s a fundementially different approach that the existing car guys - and the only company also appraoching it that way is Tesla, Lucid, Rivian - we’ll see how this all plays out

but my sense is vertical integration is key here - and that is a barrier to entry for the existing players…
Sponsored