Pjjameso

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Finally picked up my Turbo yesterday and went to an EA charge site this morning. All went well but was wondering about the vehicle settings in the app. Noticed the battery capacity was set at 83 vs car spec of 93kWh so updated that. Was wondering what range to use with 21" tires as this impacts the charging route planner. Currently set at 210 but that may be a bit to generous, thoughts?

Also only have Combo plug type turned on, assume that covers the other types without specifically turning them on, coorect or not?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Finally picked up my Turbo yesterday and went to an EA charge site this morning. All went well but was wondering about the vehicle settings in the app. Noticed the battery capacity was set at 83 vs car spec of 93kWh so updated that. Was wondering what range to use with 21" tires as this impacts the charging route planner. Currently set at 210 but that may be a bit to generous, thoughts?

Also only have Combo plug type turned on, assume that covers the other types without specifically turning them on, coorect or not?

Thanks in advance.
Not sure the exact question. Can you clarify?

The battery may be 93KWh, but only 83 KWHr are usable, as the rest are used as top and bottom buffer both for logenvity of the battery and to allow regen to work at full charge. This is pretty normal for all EVs, the Porsche is more conservative than Tesla or others because they seem to use a more strict engineering standard. This is a good thing.

As for Combo charger if you mean fast charger the Porsche is CCS not Chademo. Combo implies it has both cables but you don’t want to leave out CCS alone. But you do want to see what the KWHr charging rate is, not all Electrify America locations support the fastest charge rate. Taycan can do up to 230 KWHr, but a lot of chargers may be only 50 KWHe.

OP
OP

Pjjameso

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Not sure the exact question. Can you clarify?

The battery may be 93KWh, but only 83 KWHr are usable, as the rest are used as top and bottom buffer both for logenvity of the battery and to allow regen to work at full charge. This is pretty normal for all EVs, the Porsche is more conservative than Tesla or others because they seem to use a more strict engineering standard. This is a good thing.

As for Combo charger if you mean fast charger the Porsche is CCS not Chademo. Combo implies it has both cables but you don’t want to leave out CCS alone. But you do want to see what the KWHr charging rate is, not all Electrify America locations support the fastest charge rate. Taycan can do up to 230 KWHr, but a lot of chargers may be only 50 KWHe.
Ah, that makes sense on the setting for 83.Thank you, have attached screenshot of settings available, which should I select?

Porsche Taycan Charging America Settings BB46283D-BE70-4CC2-808B-EBDDBA45CCC2

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Others is just a plug, you want combo CCS, type 1 but that is not fast charger, that will be up to 7 KWHr (same as home 240, good for long stay or a small topup). As for range you should probably use 220 or so to be safe.

whyare t you using the Porsche app for free charging?

OP
OP

Pjjameso

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Others is just a plug, you want combo CCS, type 1 but that is not fast charger, that will be up to 7 KWHr (same as home 240, good for long stay or a small topup). As for range you should probably use 220 or so to be safe.

whyare t you using the Porsche app for free charging?
Thanks, Charging America is the Porsche app for free charging which you are helping me with. Was wondering about other 3rd party sites as there are no EA locations on i77 heading east off of i81. I can get to my location but then car would be dead and not able to get back to a charger on i81... Exploring other options as friend does not have a 50 amp circuit in the garage and didn't want to stay so long to charge up under level 1!!

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks, Charging America is the Porsche app for free charging which you are helping me with. Was wondering about other 3rd party sites as there are no EA locations on i77 heading east off of i81. I can get to my location but then car would be dead and not able to get back to a charger on i81... Exploring other options as friend does not have a 50 amp circuit in the garage and didn't want to stay so long to charge up under level 1!!
Grab a great free app called PlugShare, it lists ALL charging stations from all different suppliers. You can filter by plug type and minimum power anywhere and you can see what options are available. You may have to grab different vendors apps to start and pay but PlugShare lists them all.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Grab a great free app called PlugShare, it lists ALL charging stations from all different suppliers. You can filter by plug type and minimum power anywhere and you can see what options are available. You may have to grab different vendors apps to start and pay but PlugShare lists them all.
PlugShare and a better route planner give you all options. The latter seems the best charging planner out there. Definitely better than Tesla's own software.

If you are staying with friends, you can also use their washer / dryer / electric range circuit. Usually that is at 240V and higher amperage, Since the plugs are not Nema 14-50 you will need an adaptor for that - and of course you will need to pack your mobile charger. See the "road warrior" post on this forum for cables.
Sponsored