NewtownPCar

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 981S, 2019 BMW X3 M40i, 2023 Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
Hi all - hope someone has an idea on this. I have a 23 4S CT, have had it about 6 months. I’ve been AC charging it at home no issue - when I get home from work, whatever SOC it’s at, whatever time it is, I plug it in and it charges reliably to 85%. 2 weeks ago I had it plugged in at home, and it finished charging. I released the plug, and went about doing something else. I happened to notice a couple minutes later that the charge port door hadn’t automatically closed. I got in the car and saw the yellow warning error “CheckCharging port - see owners manual”. I *think* I swiped the port door and it closed fine, but the error remained. I turned the car on and off a couple times and the error cleared.

As it happens, I was able to AC charge the next two times, near my work. Those sessions went fine, 150 kw each time (max at those EA chargers). Well, come to this weekend, I’m home and I plug it in, and the center console comes on with the charging display and says “Charging process complete “.

So that’s my problem - it just goes right to “complete”. No errors. Battery was at 72% earlier this weekend. I thought maybe it was just to close to 85%. I drove it a bit down to 65%, and same issue - won’t charge, when I plug in it says “charging complete”.

No custom profiles, only the general profile with minimum set to 85%. I haven’t touched the profiles since day 1 so shouldn’t have changed.

Any ideas? Sounds like next trip is to the dealer service, but wondering if I somehow am doing something stupid (wouldn’t be the first time :) ).

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
Try the port on the other side. If you have the same issue, check your settings again.

OP
OP

NewtownPCar

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I should have mentioned, I did try the other side, same thing. After a couple seconds, the green light comes on on the port, and console says “charging complete”.

I think I’ll try the Porsche charger. Maybe my wall-mounted Emporia Went bad..??

Thanks.

OP
OP

NewtownPCar

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Oh, one more weird thing - on the PCM Charging app, when I click overview, it says “Porsche Charge Planning Active” with target set to 255%. (??!!)
I have Charge Planning on my spec, but never used it (to my knowledge) and didn’t change anything.

One more tidbit I just realized - shortly before the wonky charging session, I had the APB2 recall battery test - along with a service bulletin PCM refresh. As well as several over-the-air Finder updates. I wonder if any of those things might have changed the settings I was using.

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
Setup a new destination with your PCM nav. Then cancel the trip. That should kill the trip planner, and should get you back to charging. I've seen it a few times. Where after arriving at your destination, for some reason, the range planner does not clear, and if you had previously set a minimal SOC at destination, it will remember this, and not charge. I set my minimum to 20%, and once it gets into this loop. It will say charge completed, whenever I plug in. The only way I can clear this, is to set a new destination. Then cancel it. This seems to cancel the 20% SOC minimal requirement. And I can charge again. Strictly a software issue (at least for my situation). Hope this helps.

-ThinkMac-

Reactions: Art

OP
OP

NewtownPCar

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Setup a new destination with your PCM nav. Then cancel the trip. That should kill the trip planner, and should get you back to charging. I've seen it a few times. Where after arriving at your destination, for some reason, the range planner does not clear, and if you had previously set a minimal SOC at destination, it will remember this, and not charge. I set my minimum to 20%, and once it gets into this loop. It will say charge completed, whenever I plug in. The only way I can clear this, is to set a new destination. Then cancel it. This seems to cancel the 20% SOC minimal requirement. And I can charge again. Strictly a software issue (at least for my situation). Hope this helps.

-ThinkMac-
Thanks, I’ll try this. When I DC charged, I had set the EA as destination to condition the battery on the way. Maybe it got stuck there..

OP
OP

NewtownPCar

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I did try the Porsche charger and same thing, so it’s not my wall box.

OP
OP

NewtownPCar

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ithinkmac, that was it. Funny - I set a new destination, stopped it, and still had the problem. Rebooted the PCM - still there. Then I reread what you wrote, and searched the forums a bit more, and found some other hits. You need to let it “plot the route”, then cancel it. I was cancelling it as soon as the map drew my route. So I set a new dest again, the map painted quickly, but I noticed that the actual instruction field (like “turn left in 500 yards”) was still spinning. I waited till THAT settled down and showed the first instruction, THEN I cancelled the trip. Bingo! Good things come to those who wait. Thanks!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi all - hope someone has an idea on this. I have a 23 4S CT, have had it about 6 months. I’ve been AC charging it at home no issue - when I get home from work, whatever SOC it’s at, whatever time it is, I plug it in and it charges reliably to 85%. 2 weeks ago I had it plugged in at home, and it finished charging. I released the plug, and went about doing something else. I happened to notice a couple minutes later that the charge port door hadn’t automatically closed. I got in the car and saw the yellow warning error “CheckCharging port - see owners manual”. I *think* I swiped the port door and it closed fine, but the error remained. I turned the car on and off a couple times and the error cleared.

As it happens, I was able to AC charge the next two times, near my work. Those sessions went fine, 150 kw each time (max at those EA chargers). Well, come to this weekend, I’m home and I plug it in, and the center console comes on with the charging display and says “Charging process complete “.

So that’s my problem - it just goes right to “complete”. No errors. Battery was at 72% earlier this weekend. I thought maybe it was just to close to 85%. I drove it a bit down to 65%, and same issue - won’t charge, when I plug in it says “charging complete”.

No custom profiles, only the general profile with minimum set to 85%. I haven’t touched the profiles since day 1 so shouldn’t have changed.

Any ideas? Sounds like next trip is to the dealer service, but wondering if I somehow am doing something stupid (wouldn’t be the first time :) ).

Thanks in advance!
AC charging at 150kW seems unlikely.

Standard onboard AC charger is 11kW and 22kW (19.8) is an option.

Home charging would be AC but I think you must have been DC charging at EA given the rate quoted?

None of this explains your primary query.

Forum is littered with charging commentary not least profile only charging where typically a timer is also required to stop the charging process (assuming your EVSE doesn't have control).

Potentially you may have a problem brewing with your onboard AC charger given the yellow warning.

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
Assuming you do not have a hardware issue, try this:
Go the menu with the charging planner. My guess you will see it is not checked and indicating not active. Click it on and wait a few seconds, then click it off. This may solve your charging issue.

OP
OP

NewtownPCar

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
RESOLVED - thanks for the comments. P.S. edit: I last *DC* charged fine at 150 kW.

In case anyone else searches this for the same problem, here’s the fix:

Symptom: when you try to charge, car immediately says “Charging process complete” and won’t take any more charge.
Reason: Charging Planner is active and it thinks you are already at the right state of charge. If Charging - Overview says that, and, also says Target Charge is 255%, you have hit a SW bug and simply clearing checkboxes won’t fix it.
Fix: set a new non-charger destination, WAIT for the route to completely plot and for the spinning circle to stop, then cancel the destination. That should clear it.

Thanks all.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for sharing your experience and result.
Yes, when charging at home, ensure the nav unit has no active destination in it. Otherwise the charging planner governs the charge.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
RESOLVED - thanks for the comments. P.S. edit: I last *DC* charged fine at 150 kW.

In case anyone else searches this for the same problem, here’s the fix:

Symptom: when you try to charge, car immediately says “Charging process complete” and won’t take any more charge.
Reason: Charging Planner is active and it thinks you are already at the right state of charge. If Charging - Overview says that, and, also says Target Charge is 255%, you have hit a SW bug and simply clearing checkboxes won’t fix it.
Fix: set a new non-charger destination, WAIT for the route to completely plot and for the spinning circle to stop, then cancel the destination. That should clear it.

Thanks all.
I bet the 255 has something to do with coding limitations or bad programming (I will leave that up to the IT guys): look here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4986486/why-does-a-byte-only-have-0-to-255

OP
OP

NewtownPCar

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag