Charging stations question

menzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mino cooper S, waiting for taycan CT
Country flag
For the road trippers,
I was exploring a route to go to Virginia but having a dilema.
A better route planner and electrify America, they both show an EA charging station that it is working. However, when I go to plug share, it doesn’t exist on the plug share map.

from reading the threads here, I understood to plan the trip using ABRP and check the status of the station through PlugShare.

what are your thoughts?

this is more of a general inquiry than this exact station as this station supposedly in EA headquarters in VA. It will be very funny if it doesn’t work.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
you may need to toggle the filter “restricted use” for it to show up - since it’s at EA headquarters it may be listed in plug-share differently.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
OP
OP

menzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mino cooper S, waiting for taycan CT
Country flag
Got it. Now it shows.
Thanks guys!

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think this is the charger:

Reston Office - South
2003 Edmund Halley Dr, Reston, VA 20191, USA
BTW that address is the headquarters of Electrify America. I use it often because it's less than a mile from my residence. Despite being co-located with their headquarters, one of the two 350 kW chargers is often down, and when I call in, it's hit or miss whether I get a level 1 response. ("Which app are you using? Oh you should be using the other app . . ." Which just delays the inevitability that they have to reset the charger.) The chargers are from two different manufacturers, which I believe makes this location unique from other EA charger locations. Sometimes one charger will be extremely power limited, and I switch to the other charger and get fast charging. I was trying to wrap my head around how all this is going on at their headquarters location, and then a support rep told me they're all working from home so pretty much none of them actually use the chargers at their headquarters now.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
The reliability of the EA chargers is abysmal. When planning road trips seek out alternatives for charging because you are likely to encounter EA units that aren’t working. So having a nearby alternative is crucial

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
For the road trippers,
I was exploring a route to go to Virginia but having a dilema.
A better route planner and electrify America, they both show an EA charging station that it is working. However, when I go to plug share, it doesn’t exist on the plug share map.

from reading the threads here, I understood to plan the trip using ABRP and check the status of the station through PlugShare.

what are your thoughts?
I have done the trip from Connecticut to Georgia (through Virginia) many times using EA chargers exclusively. I have not been completely stranded at any EA location. Sometimes I need to move to another charger or call EA to activate the session. Each road trip has been better. I use ABRP to plot out the EA locations. I use PlugShare to provide others with information at each location. I use Waze to navigate to the next EA location. When I am about 25 miles away I use the Taycan nav to find it as a Point of Interest > Porsche Charging so that the Porsche charging planner can precondition the battery. The difference between using the 350kW and 150kW chargers is only about 10 minutes to get from 10% to 85% state of charge so I don’t worry about using the 150kW chargers. I will be doing the same trip again in the fall.

GG77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne S
Country flag
Old thread but didn't want to make a new one for Plugshare..I have restricted access on in the app but every EA charger shows up as off line.. Across the country! What am I doing wrong here?

Porsche Taycan Charging stations question Screenshot_20220124-193811

Porsche Taycan Charging stations question Screenshot_20220124-193726