Communications Issues [PCM/App/Porsche Tracking]

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
may be you are lucky or more likely, you do not really realize when connectivity is down!

There are so many issues that deal with "smartmobility" I cannot count them all. And most of the driver get used to it or use Carplay which hides it quite well, letting your IPhone manage mobile data instead of Porsche.

Look at the many recalls of Porsche, they even did not manage to get the motors and inverters behave like expected and need to re-patch and repatch again.

Many cars have issues because they are mostly parked underground with no reception, others have insulated glass, which obviously also is troublesome for mobile use in the car, some never use range-mode, so they will never come across the annoying range mode 90 /60 bug, and there are guys that concentrate on painting and printing ugly diffusors and sell Taycan parts...??‍♀

@tigerbalm I really appreciate your work and insight and still have not given up on hoping the Taycan will get better from software. At least both Porsche Apps have quite improved in the last 2-3 months. Let's hope and provide good error feedback to Porsche. Currently for me there is only one or two open tickets and I hear all the same shit from many Audi drivers with MIB3.
If you have a problem, go to your dealer, get it fixed and share your experience here.
That's how you solve a problem, just like I did.
I'm sorry you still have a problem but debating this on a forum isn't going to solve it, especially if it's a complex issue about connectivity.
Let Porsche do it like it supposed to work while you're still under warranty.
Lately, just like on other places on the net, there aren't many issues anymore about the 12V battery, the PCM etc so I don't see the need to "investigate" those PCM problems.
We don't have the knowledge nor the tools to investigate, accept that.
Just my 0,02.
Again: let Porsche fix them and share the outcome.
It's not as bad as the op wants to believe.

Why do you bring up all other stuff about diffusers and parts??
What has that to do with this subject?
And why do you think I care about your opinion on that?
Please, stay on topic.
I also help to keep this topic high on the list by just replying, hope that helps.
So far, no one has provided some useful contribution about this "common problem" we have with the PCM.
Let's wait some more.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MrJack

First Name
Gianni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY2021, Panamera 4S
Country flag
I've the same problems many many times, the porsche change me the pcm without benefit, i will wait until september and after i call my lawyer to resolve the problem definitivley, in italy there is not a lemon law but if they don't resolve the problem before warranty exipre i want something on paper for have solution after this date.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I've the same problems many many times, the porsche change me the pcm without benefit, i will wait until september and after i call my lawyer to resolve the problem definitivley, in italy there is not a lemon law but if they don't resolve the problem before warranty exipre i want something on paper for have solution after this date.
Your problem has occurred before warranty expires so they have to fix it, no matter if it takes 10 years.
And knowing Porsche they ARE going to fix it, don't worry.
Hope this helps to ease your mind.
I can imagine it's annoying that it doesn't have the quality you expect from a €100K+ car.
But then again, it's Porsche and they take care of customers.
Sorry to hear things aren't going fast and easy.

MrJack

First Name
Gianni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Your problem has occurred before warranty expires so they have to fix it, no matter if it takes 10 years.
And knowing Porsche they ARE going to fix it, don't worry.
Hope this helps to ease your mind.
I can imagine it's annoying that it doesn't have the quality you expect from a €100K+ car.
But then again, it's Porsche and they take care of customers.
Sorry to hear things aren't going fast and easy.
I explain what happened with my panamera...
I had problem with VTS module of the car, they reset the module two times, because porsche-germany say that.
The third time the car was out of warranty, in this case they change the module but they ask me money.... i said that if i paid for this they can forget my face forever. The dealer pay porsche germany for me but porsche germany want money, i see the invoice of posche to the dealer.
The dealer is really ok but porsche factory.....
With my taycan the dealer try to resolve my problem every time but from the factory no help... never, they only ask for many video of the problem and many log from the system but no solution jet. They try to change the PCM with no result.
I hope they put new PCM version on my car as soon as possible.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I explain what happened with my panamera...
I had problem with VTS module of the car, they reset the module two times, because porsche-germany say that.
The third time the car was out of warranty, in this case they change the module but they ask me money.... i said that if i paid for this they can forget my face forever. The dealer pay porsche germany for me but porsche germany want money, i see the invoice of posche to the dealer.
The dealer is really ok but porsche factory.....
With my taycan the dealer try to resolve my problem every time but from the factory no help... never, they only ask for many video of the problem and many log from the system but no solution jet. They try to change the PCM with no result.
I hope they put new PCM version on my car as soon as possible.
Actually you have warranty on the changed part as well.
It does take some persuasion in some cases, I fully understand.
Just don't give up, that's what they want.
Oh and keep calm and stay polite, it'll save you money. ?

MrJack

First Name
Gianni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Actually you have warranty on the changed part as well.
It does take some persuasion in some cadesy, I fully understand.
Just don't give up, that's what they want.
Oh and keep calm and stay polite, it'll save you money. ?
Thank you, i will do ;)

MrJack

First Name
Gianni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
you have a really special sense of humor ?

nearly every of my 189 posts here in this forum is dealing with connectivity problems, dealers that can't fix it, blaming Stuttgart's Porsche that can't fix it, neither understand it nor willing to and claim it as "current state of technology".
My car was at least 10 times and 40+ days at the dealer, trying to fix, reading FAPs, updating software and nothing improved. Dealer was asking for help by Stuttgart, nothing.

there are simply three ways to handle that shit:

1. sell Taycan and buy a different BEV (but which??)
2. DIY (sic!)
3. get used to it and wait (not really an option)

And I already wrote down such a (nearly) DIY success story where I nailed a problem with my trunk otherwise it would not work till today. https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/trunk-closing-issue.5641/page-2#post-142218
I really don't understand why the system of e-tron GT work well instead of Taycan system.
I don't want talk about navigation option (i tried e-tron navigation system and ... wow is another world) because maybe are simply marketing or project choice but.... no issue about communication, about apps and work perfect smooth... why??

EDIT:
And i forget to mention the issue about favourite of radio and navigation system that disappear after some times, really really annoying.
And the Apple music app on pcm that forget what you are playing when you come back to the car?

I love this car but the PCM is really really bad.

Last edited:

1AX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T
Country flag
I have the same issue described by @tigerbalm in his opening post.

It has so far never happened to me after the vehicle has been stopped for a prolonged period of time (e.g. overnight) but happens frequently after being locked and left for a shorter period (e.g. 10 mins to 2 hours). It usually fixes itself the following time I lock and leave the vehicle for a while.

Doing the PCM reboot on the central display has solved it for me a couple of times but not always.

Porsche Taycan Communications Issues [PCM/App/Porsche Tracking] IMG_6023

Porsche Taycan Communications Issues [PCM/App/Porsche Tracking] IMG_6024

Porsche Taycan Communications Issues [PCM/App/Porsche Tracking] IMG_6025

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Porsche Taycan Communications Issues [PCM/App/Porsche Tracking] 2022-03-23_19.09.54

This image shows there's no cellular connection (the =/=).
This also occurs on low/poor covered areas.
It isn't necessarily the PCM's fault but the cellular network for whatever reason (provider issue).
At my work I sometimes can't "see" my car in the app, you guessed right, it's a poorly covered area...

Where is your car parked when this occurs?

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
I have chnged OTA modules twice, connection modules also and LTE modules.
for the technical understanding's sake: which modules did they change exactly? usually you get it noted in the service booklet.
From what I learned in the past, there is only one(!) ECU which deals with remote connectvity: only the CONBOX aka OTA ECU has an antenna. as stated in the 1st post.
"connection module" sounds like the Gateway ECU?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
for the technical understanding's sake: which modules did they change exactly? usually you get it noted in the service booklet.
From what I learned in the past, there is only one(!) ECU which deals with remote connectvity: only the CONBOX aka OTA ECU has an antenna. as stated in the 1st post.
"connection module" sounds like the Gateway ECU?
I have asked for all the service reports from the Service Manager, but so far only receive some of them. I do not get any printouts when the work has been done unfortunately.

From the second last visit I only have some handwritten notes (probably internal before entered in the system). Here are some of the Porsche codes for the parts

PAD035282B. ( = CONBOX High??) changed twice

9J1907018AD (= OTA Module??) changed twice

9J1907468 B and / or C. ( Gateway ??)

The labour charge descrition has mentioned OTA, Gateway and CONN BOX if that helps.

Now it will be another change of Gateway module and something else as directed by Porsche France.

The Service Advisor also said they have to change an USB module??? , which I was surprised at.

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
PAD 035 282 B same as
9J1 035 282 C : Steuergerät für Notrufmodul (ECU for Emergency calls, new to me, dedicated ECU with own antenna, I will check further) is this CONBOX high?? Has an own battery?

9J1 907 018 AD: Steuergerät für Onlinedienste (ECU for online services aka OTA Box aka Communications box aka phone box ) This ECU has already been replaced in my car too

9J1 907 468 C: Steuergerät für Gateway (CAN Gateway ECU

nice info and pics:

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/store-and-download-onboard-cameras-video.9121/

Last edited:

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
So I was obviously wrong. There are at least 2 ECUs dealing with it. So may be room for another ECU replacement next visit :)

1AX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T
Country flag
2022-03-23_19.09.54.jpg

This image shows there's no cellular connection (the =/=).
This also occurs on low/poor covered areas.
It isn't necessarily the PCM's fault but the cellular network for whatever reason (provider issue).
At my work I sometimes can't "see" my car in the app, you guessed right, it's a poorly covered area...

Where is your car parked when this occurs?
I think you've spotted a symptom, not a cause.

There is no cellular connection nor internal bluetooth/wifi connection whatsoever - see photo 3 showing 'Function not available' on the display when I attempt to enable the bluetooth (which should ordinarily be enabled already since I did not switch it off).

The internal bluetooth connection cannot be explained by low cellular network signal regardless of location. For completeness sake since you asked, the particular example photo I posted was taken outdoors in a suburban area of high cellular connectivity.

The crux of the issue is that all wireless communication devices installed in the vehicle, both internal and external, stop functioning at the same time. It's as if the comms system doesn't 'wake' correctly on some occasions when the vehicle is switched on.

rs38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan,gt2,i8
Country flag
here some partnumbers and replacements MJ specific of the above mentioned ECUs:

Porsche Taycan Communications Issues [PCM/App/Porsche Tracking] 1648461019065

even the lastest MJ22 has been replaced?
Porsche Taycan Communications Issues [PCM/App/Porsche Tracking] 1648461594032

Porsche Taycan Communications Issues [PCM/App/Porsche Tracking] 1648461093197

this is only fraction of all parts because they obviously contain region specific stuff:

Porsche Taycan Communications Issues [PCM/App/Porsche Tracking] 1648461208508

and now it get's really weird or proves the Audi/VW Mix:
(4K0 part number)
Porsche Taycan Communications Issues [PCM/App/Porsche Tracking] 1648461719423

Porsche Taycan Communications Issues [PCM/App/Porsche Tracking] 1648461263572

Porsche Taycan Communications Issues [PCM/App/Porsche Tracking] 1648461835287

Porsche Taycan Communications Issues [PCM/App/Porsche Tracking] 1648461024334

Porsche Taycan Communications Issues [PCM/App/Porsche Tracking] 1648461238250

Porsche Taycan Communications Issues [PCM/App/Porsche Tracking] 1648461748418