UKPerson

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A8, MG 4, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Don't forget that the Turbo has RaceTex as standard for the roof lining, which extends down the front pillars to meet the dashboard, so a RT/leather junction will be very visible regardless of lower B-pillar material. Also, even an all-black interior comprises multiple "black" materials- leather, plastic of different grades and textures, carpet, either unnamed fabric or RaceTex headliner, seatbelts, piano black trim if optioned,- which have different textures, sheen and finish, so will look like different "blacks", as well as varying according to lighting conditions. Personally, I think that the variety and contrast that creates is important to avoid a monotonous blackness (though I still wouldn't choose a single-colour interior).
Thanks for pointing this out. Will definitely look at how a RT / leather junction will work. I've always had dark interiors before but always wanted a lighter option. I'm not sure if there are options to change the standard roof lining... Will have a look.
Sponsored

OP
OP

UKPerson

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One of the night vision benefits I like is warnings and auto braking if it sees an animal or human on a potential collision path. With matrix headlights, you also get the flashing highlight of the object being warned about. It does nothing in heavy snowstorms by the way, just as blinded as the human driver. Seeing in the dark and recognizing human/animal shapes is its main advantage (also displayed on IC).
Thanks - I think it sounds pretty groovy but given how I've hardly ever used it in the Audi, this is one I'm going to save some money on!

OP
OP

UKPerson

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When you get the car, it is a good excuse to put some miles on it :) Just say you need to map the speedbumps as a service to missus
😄

OP
OP

UKPerson

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Once again, thanks to everyone for their input into the configuration. It has really helped me to get a good sense of what to focus on and what I can do without. It's also raised some thoughts about options I'd decided to go without but that now are worth looking into!

Here is the latest: https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRRYZXE2

Some comments / thoughts...

I've dropped:
Olea leather for 2-tone smooth finish Black/Chalk Beige
ORDP
PSCB with black calipers. Figured you can hardly see it behind the wheels
Roof rails for potential wind noise / reduction in range. Plus I don't think I'll ever add a roof-luggage system
I've added the leather door sills and B pillar. However, will try to assess how this will fit with the RaceTex

I will look into:
HUD
Comfort Access

I currently have Innodrive but I'll try to test drive that and see what I think. Alternatively, if I'm told there are no drawbacks for adding full functionality in the future (as I'll have ACC), I may just drop it and try it on a trial subscription basis.

I've kept the VLC sunroof. At least for now! 😀

One last question. What is the difference in ride quality between CT / ST? Quality of ride is of key importance for me. However, if I was open to buying a new in-stock ST I would have a considerably wider selection and might be able to get a good deal. But if the ST is noticeably less comfortable in ride, it would not be a good compromise.

Thanks again!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Although I've added the leather to the door sills and B pillar, I'm not sure how the leather will mesh with the RT. Definitely one to try to puzzle out in the dealership.
I wish I had noticed the leather B pillar option when I bought mine, but I didn't. I would definitely have gone for it.
Leather/racetex junctions abound in the car, where A pillar meets dashboard, for example.

I missed out on racetex B pillars, Bose and matrix lights, all unavailable when I locked my order and all not much missed, actually, but really wish I had seen the B pillar and sill option in leather :(

On your point about liking light, I do too but I prefer it from windows rather rather than a skylight and didn't like the radiation on my head in all the other cars I had one on, plus the ally roof looks nicer to me so an easy saving in my case since I don't need a roof rack either.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks - I think it sounds pretty groovy but given how I've hardly ever used it in the Audi, this is one I'm going to save some money on!
I agree here, it must depend where you live and road and weather conditions there but I had it for 6 years (as standard) in our Prius and never once used it round here so an easy saving for me too.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One last question. What is the difference in ride quality between CT / ST? Quality of ride is of key importance for me. However, if I was open to buying a new in-stock ST I would have a considerably wider selection and might be able to get a good deal. But if the ST is noticeably less comfortable in ride, it would not be a good compromise.
It will be road dependant in that the differences are small so the extra bump travel won't be a big benefit in smooth roads, not sure if the standard suspension settings are the same except the GTS which is advertised as being a more sporty setup.
My view is that normal on the CT is exceptionally good ride on a CT, both the demo one where I was first impressed and mine, which also has active anti-roll bars. Since I can get it as sporty as I like with individual mode and sport and sport+ are pre-engineered settings on a dial I didn't want to risk the good ride I had experienced for a more sporty setting I could choose myself anyway.
OTOH I have experience in vehicle dynamics and so I tend not to dick about with Porsche's choices.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not bothered about the massage but got to get this purchase past the wife so including massage seats are politically expedient!
It was the same here but I really like it on a long journey now and pretty well every passenger wants to try it. My wife, children and grandchildren all use it lots.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Would leather sills not be vulnerable to scuffing from fine gravel/stones stuck in tread of footware? I've noticed that my aluminium sills get dirty from passing contact, maybe due to my being unable to fully open the door when on my drive or in my garage.

OP
OP

UKPerson

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It will be road dependant in that the differences are small so the extra bump travel won't be a big benefit in smooth roads, not sure if the standard suspension settings are the same except the GTS which is advertised as being a more sporty setup.
My view is that normal on the CT is exceptionally good ride on a CT, both the demo one where I was first impressed and mine, which also has active anti-roll bars. Since I can get it as sporty as I like with individual mode and sport and sport+ are pre-engineered settings on a dial I didn't want to risk the good ride I had experienced for a more sporty setting I could choose myself anyway.
OTOH I have experience in vehicle dynamics and so I tend not to dick about with Porsche's choices.

Thank you.

For the matrix lights, I had them on the Merc and absolutely loved them. By far the best thing about the car! I'm not that into music and I doubt I have much of an ear to pick up anything other than obvious quality differences in sound reproduction. If the Bose wasn't standard I would have an interesting dilemma. Go for the standard system (and get better boot space) or go for the Bose (and probably not really appreciate the difference).

I think the B pillar / door sills in leather sounds like a good option in the quest to create a great blend of a luxury car with the ability to throw into corners when the mood takes. To achieve this, I did actually decide that the PDCC and PTV+ were essential add ons given some of your previous posts!

Likewise, I'm probably fooling myself if I think an ST might be an option when compared to a CT. Given that two of the biggest priorities for me are ride comfort and the ability to navigate speed bumps / rough road surfaces / potholes. From what I've seen and read my understanding is that the suspension set up in the ST is more sporty than the CT (at the expense of some comfort) and that the ride height is lower.

It's just the lure of getting a great new deal (I'm sure I can get a much better discount on an in-stock car as opposed to a custom order) and the desire for instant gratification!

I'll be talking to the local OPC end of this week so we'll see what they say about pricing, new model refresh and delivery timeframes.

Happy New Year!

OP
OP

UKPerson

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Would leather sills not be vulnerable to scuffing from fine gravel/stones stuck in tread of footware? I've noticed that my aluminium sills get dirty from passing contact, maybe due to my being unable to fully open the door when on my drive or in my garage.
Thank you. I'm pretty sure I'll go for it but that's a really good point to consider. I don't usually have an issue opening the doors wide at home. As a result, I usually find I scuff up the lower inside of the doors rather than the sills! But they will definitely take some wear when out on the street, especially during our typical wet weather when there is mud and gunk on the pavements and roadside.

Derip88

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
My used 4CT has the Olea leather. Which is perfectly fine, but nothing special. If I didn't know, I would have thought it was just some sort of standard leather interior. Perhaps a bit softer somehow than the leather on my Audi A6 Allroad?
(IIRC, the used 4CT I test drove had the standard leather. But without an immediate compare/contrast between the two builds, I don't notice any differences.)

Your UK compatriots (and note that your user profile has the Canadian flag, which might not alert others as to your location if they skip over London, since the colored flag is more eye-catching) can fill you in the availability of 22kW public chargers.
The cost to install one at home is usually pointless. (Or is this going to be on the street given the expensive car cover?)
As others have noted, in the U.S. these are almost nonexistent.
(Even though in theory they could be useful, i.e., public chargers that cost far less than DCFC to install yet could provide a helpful charge at locations where drivers will be lingering for a couple hours for other reasons that would result in almost nothing from a typical public L2.)

Innodrive, as others have noted, you can get a trial subscription (three months free in U.S., I don't know about UK), use it for several minutes, then decide it's mainly harmful, and discontinue your trial.

Things you didn't ask about specifically but I'll comment on anyway (since that's the way these threads always work):
  • Offroad Design Package = at best harmless and at worst a useful crumb catcher (my used CT has it, and seems totally pointless)
  • Panoramic Roof with Variable Light Control = this was a "maybe" on my ideal spec but the consensus seems to be that it's main purpose is just another thing to go wrong
  • HUD = really, no interest? (come on, give it a try!)
  • Comfort Access = having the door handles extend is just so cool, like the car is happy to see me, plus the kick-to-open cargo hatch is actually super practical
For the kick-to-open in mine I literally have to kick it to get to work😂

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
For the kick-to-open in mine I literally have to kick it to get to work😂
You only think you do. Went through the same thing myself, then realized my foot does not have to make contact with the bottom of the car. The sweet spot seems to be a little to left of the center of the car. The other thing to notice is that the action is delayed, I kick, then wait, and only then the trunk opens - this used to screw me up in the past, I would kick, then kick again and think the second kick did the trick, not the first one. My wife went through the exact same progression on her Q8 etron which has the same feature - she would tell me how it never works, I would come up, kick under it, it opened. Takes a bit of practice/getting used to, but it's a useful feature.

Last edited:

foofighter

First Name
timur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Wanted to offer another positive point for VLC. We added it and are quite happy because our toddler frequently rides in the back. In the summer, if she's napping, it's helpful to mute the sun a bit.

It's also pretty cool. Yes, the novelty wears off, but it's a great party trick. We were the first car with it at PEC LA and the guys just wanted to us to play with it and were recording a video. It's just fun 😊
Sponsored