[Dashcam] Viofo A139 Pro 1/2/3CH HDR

rjdoc74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT, Tesla MX P100D
Country flag
Hi guys, thank you for all the useful information. You all have convinced me to install this camera in my CT4. Quick question- what exactly do I need to buy in additional to the camera itself for Taycan install? Someone mentioned HK3-C Hardwire Kit. Do I need this and fuse tap kit?

Also, which micro-USB are you all using?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Hi guys, thank you for all the useful information. You all have convinced me to install this camera in my CT4. Quick question- what exactly do I need to buy in additional to the camera itself for Taycan install? Someone mentioned HK3-C Hardwire Kit. Do I need this and fuse tap kit?

Thanks!
Yep, you need the HK3-C hardwire kit and two fuse taps.
I can't recall which sd card I bought but it was not the endurance one but works fine... I'm away atm otherwise I'd check which sd card I have in the A139Pro.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag

Thanks!
You need the camera (or dual camera if you want to monitor your rear), hk3-c wirekit and 2 fuse taps (ATC type).

Make sure you ONLY get one of the approved sd cards. This is CRITICAL. I had a week of hell and was ready to throw the dashcam against a wall. Finally I discovered that viofo Benelux sent me a blacklisted card (sandisk high endurance)
... Nice eh?

The Samsung one is also blacklisted. Check viofo FAQ to know what was tested.

Bought a Sandisk Extreme 256gb (one of the recommended cards) and the dashcam stopped having seizures in the middle of the night.

For parking mode, I strongly suggest you using time-lapse 5fps mode or low bitrate mode (if you want to have sound). Avoid AED as the plague. The dashcam is too sensitive and will record constantly at a higher power consumption. Time lapse has been flawless for over two weeks (dashcam in operation 24/7 either driving mode or parking mode).

Anything you need, just ask. I had a crash course on it 😂

rjdoc74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One more quick question, sorry. Fuse taps- do I need mini (ATS)? Didn't even realize there are 4 options... Thanks.

Last edited:

rjdoc74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So after 3 days I have to report:

1- battery is holding up nice with 16h parking mode (event detection)

Screenshot_2023-05-28-19-18-02-10_50dec7016723fbfaf1a0791a16168120.jpg

2 - For those that want battery monitors, the (relatively) cheap BM6 (Aliexpress) for lithium batteries works better than the c-tek one (only lead batteries so will report 100% all the time) (I have both btw)

3 - I had a hiccup the first night. The A139 Pro stopped saving clips at 23:22. After further investigation, I'm 99% sure it happen when the card filled up and it was unable to switch to overwrite mode. This might be due to viofo Benelux sending me the wrong card (Sandisk High Endurance is a blacklisted card for the A139 Pro - be aware). Curiously, after a full cold reboot, it started in overwrite mode and is still working that way, days later. I'm waiting for a 256gb sandisk extreme to put this at rest.

3 - In a Sedan, finding the best placement for the rear camera is a chore because you either a) glue it to the plastic third brake light cover which can make the camera "unglue" after 2 days (happen to me) or b) you glue it to the back window and have to find a way to route the wire there. I didn't do this because the plastic trim seems to have a silicon isolation around it so didn't want to remove it.

4 - regarding the previous point, I'm not sure if the camera 'unglued' because I forgot to degrease the plastic with isopropyl alcohol or because my youngest kid was tugging on it asking "what's this dad"? He does say he didn't tug on it but anyway. I replaced the 3M pad, rubbed the plastic with alcohol and re-attached the rear camera. Let's see if it holds.

5 - regarding footage, it's really top notch. I did use the cpl filter for a day but then concluded it could be too dark for overnight parking so I removed it. There are minimal glares. Doesn't affect the footage.

I uploaded an unlisted video on YouTube

😁
@tchavei thank you all the contributions here. I installed mine a week ago. All is well, but the last 2 nights the cam stopps recording and when I get in the car in am its beeping (recording stopped). When I open the app, I see error "storage full". I have 256 gb recommended sandisk. Do you know if there is a way to force the cam into overwrite mode? thanks in advance.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@tchavei thank you all the contributions here. I installed mine a week ago. All is well, but the last 2 nights the cam stopps recording and when I get in the car in am its beeping (recording stopped). When I open the app, I see error "storage full". I have 256 gb recommended sandisk. Do you know if there is a way to force the cam into overwrite mode? thanks in advance.
It's in the dashcam settings. Choose loop mode, 3 min is ideal.

Don't use event detection recording either as it messes stuff up and the dashcam might freeze.

For me, I have low bitrate recording in parking mode (to keep sound) and max everything during normal mode.

Make also sure your sd card is specifically listed under the recommended cards. The device is very finicky about them.

Lemme know if you need more info 👍🏻

rjdoc74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's in the dashcam settings. Choose loop mode, 3 min is ideal.

Don't use event detection recording either as it messes stuff up and the dashcam might freeze.

For me, I have low bitrate recording in parking mode (to keep sound) and max everything during normal mode.

Make also sure your sd card is specifically listed under the recommended cards. The device is very finicky about them.

Lemme know if you need more info 👍🏻
Thank you so much, I will try all of your suggestions.

Donar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST ‘22 - Polestar 2 Performance '20
Country flag
@tchavei any chance you could share a picture how you positioned your camera in a LHD car? I just ordered mine and especially wondering how to put cabling behind the rear view mirror (assuming camera is on the right side and fuse box is on left side of the car).

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@tchavei any chance you could share a picture how you positioned your camera in a LHD car? I just ordered mine and especially wondering how to put cabling behind the rear view mirror (assuming camera is on the right side and fuse box is on left side of the car).
Sure. I'm not home right now but will take a couple of pictures tomorrow.

Speaking of... This is the first time I left the car unattended with the dashcam operating for 6 days. I'm curious to see if it killed the battery or not. Fingers crossed.

Cheers

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So. Update!

After leaving the car and dashcam unattended for 6 full days and nights I have to report the following:

1 - 12v car battery survived without an issue. I lost 1% of the main battery SoC and 15km range which was expected. I had my booster ready for worst case scenario but wasn't needed at all. This means it's perfectly fine to have the dashcam in full continuous low bit rate recording during parking mode without ill effects for 6 days

2 - I don't know if it is just my car or generally the Taycan but the whole startup sequence after 6 days parked was really strange. When I tapped the power button, the best I can describe what happen was as if a transformer was awoken after a 20.000 year long sleep. Several beeps, whining noises which could be heard on the outside for 10 seconds and pumps spinning up. Almost like hundreds of gears slowly spooling up. Also seemed like brakes were pulling together and apart. Like a cat stretching after a sleep. I could envision Megatron powering on. Hilarious.

3 - in low bit rate mode, the camera will only save the last 3 days worth of recordings with a 256gb card. It's usually enough but by coincidence, it would have really helped if it had saved more because apparently some kids managed to put their tiny hands in my mail box and steal my mail, including a revolut card while I was away. Unfortunately it seems it must have happen between the 26th and early 29th because the rear camera was actually pointed to my mailbox (by mere accident) and I couldn't find any recording as proof. Bugger.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry. Forgot the pics. It's a bit late rn but I took a couple. Lemme know if you need more details.

Porsche Taycan [Dashcam] Viofo A139 Pro 1/2/3CH HDR IMG20240102173828

Porsche Taycan [Dashcam] Viofo A139 Pro 1/2/3CH HDR IMG20240102173835

Donar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST ‘22 - Polestar 2 Performance '20
Country flag
Thanks!
Dashcam will be delivered tomorrow, hope to find some time to install this weekend.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
BTW, in case someone wonders how the 12v battery held during my absence, here's the graph. The red circle marks when I returned and started the car (to make sure it would power on). Overall it seems the internal battery protection system kicked in almost once a day whenever the battery voltage dropped to 13.01V and the 30 min charging put it to around 13.29V.

I really hope that some software update has removed the 6x recharge limit but I couldn't test that since apparently the car had completed the 6th cycle by the time I returned.

Porsche Taycan [Dashcam] Viofo A139 Pro 1/2/3CH HDR Screenshot_2024-01-02-21-05-48-65_50dec7016723fbfaf1a0791a16168120
Sponsored