UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
No matter however many times I have a Porsche and try to set up the PCM. I always have issues and find the process confusing.
Let me just say before I move on, my technical ability is, I believe, quite high...

So.. My lovely turbo is sat outside. I didn't realise there were no slots for a extremal sim. Where I live there is zero coverage for vodaphone, so the in built sim is useless to me. I would have liked the ability to put my own data sim into the car as I know its capable of a signal.

So, when I look at my connect app, I can't get any updates from the car because the Porsche server can't reach the cars sim. None of the services are showing etc.

Porsche Taycan Data - PCM question Screenshot_20201219-081906_Connect~2

Is there a way I can complete the link the other way, via the house wifi asus6_ax?
Sponsored

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
No matter however many times I have a Porsche and try to set up the PCM. I always have issues and find the process confusing.
Let me just say before I move on, my technical ability is, I believe, quite high...

So.. My lovely turbo is sat outside. I didn't realise there were no slots for a extremal sim. Where I live there is zero coverage for vodaphone, so the in built sim is useless to me. I would have liked the ability to put my own data sim into the car as I know its capable of a signal.

So, when I look at my connect app, I can't get any updates from the car because the Porsche server can't reach the cars sim. None of the services are showing etc.

Screenshot_20201219-081906_Connect~2.jpg

Is there a way I can complete the link the other way, via the house wifi asus6_ax?
I get my car on Tuesday so forgive me if my preconceptions are incorrect. However, it looks like your phone is still connected to your home router (WiFi) and I believe it needs to be connected to your cars WiFi. That’s how it is with my 911. I also need to leave the connect app running or I cannot access certain online services (Amazon music). By running, I mean not force closed.

if the issue you have is reception with the eSim then I don’t know what you can.

Good luck.

OP
OP
UKTIVO

UKTIVO

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think that's where I'm heading there is no other option other than buying the Porsche data package (which is very high for a small amount of data) if I want to complete the connection to the car.. Even then I don't think it will work because of the signal issue. If Porsche had left the ability to add an external sim, the issue wouldn't have happened..

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I think that's where I'm heading there is no other option other than buying the Porsche data package (which is very high for a small amount of data) if I want to complete the connection to the car.. Even then I don't think it will work because of the signal issue. If Porsche had left the ability to add an external sim, the issue wouldn't have happened..
The Porsche data package is just to have the car WiFi hotspot connected. It is not needed to get the car to connect with the Porsche servers or to be able to use Apple Music or online radio. . If you drive your car and can see the LTE signal in the Center display, you should be good. Then the car will also report in to the servers.

To have a hotspot in your car you are much better off using your mobile phone if you have children with iPads etc and want to watch YouTube? Ask me how I know!

I guess you have identified the issue that you do not have coverage where you are and I have no idea whether you could ask Porsche to change esim. I would wager Not Possible!

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag

Screenshot_20201219-081906_Connect~2.jpg

Am not in the UK, so this is just conjecture.:
If your phone has internet access and you connect it to the Taycan USB-C port, does the Taycan connect to the Porsche server?

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
Am not in the UK, so this is just conjecture.:
If your phone has internet access and you connect it to the Taycan USB-C port, does the Taycan connect to the Porsche server?
I saw this issue once. I connected my vehicle to my Porsche charging set up at home and the server connected. Maybe it helped reset it. Do not know. Have not seen the problem again.
Are you connected to your charger at home when you see this?
I realize things may be different with the UK set up.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I saw this issue once. I connected my vehicle to my Porsche charging set up at home and the server connected. Maybe it helped reset it. Do not know. Have not seen the problem again.
Are you connected to your charger at home when you see this?
I realize things may be different with the UK set up.
Do not know - our Taycan Turbo S has never had trouble connecting to the mothership server, but did directly connect my iPone via the USB-C port once when we first received the car.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Actually I have the same and its very confusing. I can do everything remote, but I think only way the PCM connection goes green is IF you connect to the WiFi hotspot of the car.
Sponsored