Did not think about (in time) to get tire and wheel insurance. Not even 1K miles and already busted a tire and

agurkas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 CT4S, Volvo XC90, BMW X3
Country flag
Like an idiot, I did not consider getting tire insurance. 1st week, my wife scuffed a wheel. Next week, I scuffed one on the other side.
And not even 1K miles yet on the car, hit a damn pothole, and ended up on a flatbed. I think the rim is fine, but the tire needs to be replaced.
Even before 100 miles on the odometer, I called dealer to see if I can add the insurance and they said they can't the moment I drive off the lot :-(
Lesson learned.

Porsche Taycan Did not think about (in time) to get tire and wheel insurance. Not even 1K miles and already busted a tire and 2024-01-29 22.38.06
Sponsored

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I got it because I wanted the peace of mind to not worry about the wheels and tires, but it's still expensive and you may still come out ahead in the long run depending on your luck from here. Don't stress.

OP
OP

agurkas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I went to my dealer cause I heard he had a very good guy who did some serious magic with scuffed rims. I guess GM liked me enough that he had the guy refurbish both scuffed rims, and now they look like new. Can't even tell where the damage was. Blown away. The cost to the dealer was $150 per wheel (I saw an invoice on the table from the wheel guy). According to the service manager, they have this guy spend a day at the dealership each week, and there are usually 12+ wheels to do each week.

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
So just out of curiosity for those debating 21”, what kind of a pothole does it take to blow tire and/or wreck the wheel?

OP
OP

agurkas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A New England one :-( I am not sure you have them as bad in CA with no freeze-thaw. I noticed the side walls on those tires are soft, too.
When I was specing out what we would order, I would not have gone with 21s. Yes, they look nice... but at least on my coast I don't find them practical. But that is what came with mine, since we bought one off the lot.