bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
I'm configuring my Taycan Turbo (PL97V3I4) but so far I've left off Sport Chrono. In my mind at least, I've no desire to change driving modes as I drive along, plus I think the clock on the dash is just plain ugly. I figure the most I'm likely to ever want to do is Launch Control just to scare a passenger out of their wits the first time I take them out in the car, but my understanding is I can press the Sport button on the display menu to activate this. After the first couple of times I'd see the novelty wearing off quite quickly. Possibly more useful is Range mode - I'm not sure if there's a workaround for that without Sport Chrono.

I don't want to be a cheapskate (especially on a Turbo) but I'm sure you're all aware that option costs can very quickly escalate if you're not too careful. Since I'm already pushing myself to a Turbo over a 4S (since the standard equipment is that much better) I'd rather not spec stuff I don't have to.

So tell me - am I an idiot if I don't add Sport Chrono to my build? Please convince me that it's more than a go-faster button with a nasty clock on the dash!
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
So tell me - am I an idiot if I don't add Sport Chrono to my build? Please convince me that it's more than a go-faster button with a nasty clock on the dash!
I also do not like the retro look of the sports chrono clock. Even though I like the mode dial, I did not order it. Does anybody know the exact difference between Sport and Sport+ mode? Others said, it is easy to change the driving modes on the touch display.

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
I'm configuring my Taycan Turbo (PL97V3I4) but so far I've left off Sport Chrono. In my mind at least, I've no desire to change driving modes as I drive along, plus I think the clock on the dash is just plain ugly. I figure the most I'm likely to ever want to do is Launch Control just to scare a passenger out of their wits the first time I take them out in the car, but my understanding is I can press the Sport button on the display menu to activate this. After the first couple of times I'd see the novelty wearing off quite quickly. Possibly more useful is Range mode - I'm not sure if there's a workaround for that without Sport Chrono.

I don't want to be a cheapskate (especially on a Turbo) but I'm sure you're all aware that option costs can very quickly escalate if you're not too careful. Since I'm already pushing myself to a Turbo over a 4S (since the standard equipment is that much better) I'd rather not spec stuff I don't have to.

You can use range and launch without Chrono. What I would say about Chrono I’d most don’t use it but most look for it on a resell car. It is your preference but my dealer said unless you track the car, it has limited value but I still ticked the box.

esortho

First Name
Soren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sport Chrono comes with an altogether different steering wheel, at least in EU. It has the "sportier" knobs (the GT wheel) and a smaller dimension I think.

bangersandmash

First Name
bib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Alpina B3S, Opel Corsa electric
Country flag
Sports plus, I believe stiffens the suspeset up and lowers even more the car. Not sure it does much with the throttle response? ( I have it only ever driven in Range around town). It also helps optimise the battery temp, but again I have only driven 300KM in my car so I have not needed that either.

I have the sports chrono, could I live without it? Probably.

would I buy it again? Not sure

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag

I didn't get it on my 4s and don't have sport plus mode without it, I haven't driven one with it, but, if I would have known that I would have ordered it, only thing I regret not getting

bangersandmash

First Name
bib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Alpina B3S, Opel Corsa electric
Country flag
I have Rear wheel steering and PDCC. These along with the instant power even in range, makes the car sporty.

if you’re into comfortable driving you do not need the chrono pack. I would rather spend the money on PDCC, this way you limit body roll whilst maximising comfort

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I didn't get it on my 4s and don't have sport plus mode without it, I haven't driven one with it, but, if I would have known that I would have ordered it, only thing I regret not getting
I have sport chrono on my 4S. I usually drive in sport, sport+, or individual and do change the mode so the dial on the wheel is very handy. Sport+ does make additional changes to the suspension stiffness and lowers the car even more than Sport. I like it and use it. The clock although retro is very Porsche and is the first clue to most Porsche owners that the car has Sport+.

OP
OP
bootsie

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm struggling to find anything to tell me what Sport+ does on a Taycan.. in other models it speeds up the gear shifts, increases the rev limit, plays around with the exhaust noise, that sort of stuff. Isn't that all redundant in the Taycan? I did read something about the battery temperature though - but still can't tell how different it would be to just pressing the Sport button.

*EDIT* just saw @wemct 's reply with a little more detail on what Sport+ does.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
I specced sport chrono for the mode button. While the clock is a nice touch and a nod to Porsche history, it wasn't necessary for me.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It is all personal preference so that you “need” will vary from others.

A different viewpoint is that if you are slightly budget conscious you don’t need the turbo and get the 4s...and add the sports Chrono. The reason is the 4s is still a monster performer and you will more likely use the Chrono far more than appreciate the difference between the 4s and the turbo

Maybe it is just the early phase of ownership, but I use that dial on the steering wheel at least once per drive

I also originally didn’t like the clock on the dash, but what I did (stop reading Porsche purists) is put a picture of my kids there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bootsie

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I also originally didn’t like the clock on the dash, but what I did (stop reading Porsche purists) is out a picture of my my kids there.
Nice!

I really do think I'd be more likely to buy the option if I DIDN'T get the clock on the dash and just had the steering wheel dial!

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
I have sport chrono on my 4S. I usually drive in sport, sport+, or individual and do change the mode so the dial on the wheel is very handy. Sport+ does make additional changes to the suspension stiffness and lowers the car even more than Sport. I like it and use it. The clock although retro is very Porsche and is the first clue to most Porsche owners that the car has Sport+.
Thanks for the info, I do have sport plus in chassis mode just not drive mode. When I do change it to chassis sport plus, I notice a sound difference, what differences do you notice in drive mode sport plus? Just interested, still love my baby though, did launch control yesterday for the first time, thought it might be too fast, but loved it. About the same as flooring it to me :) all day long

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I spec’d it on my turbo for the other features, but totally agree that the clock on the dash is ugly and unwanted.
Sponsored