PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I love the clock on the dash. It's a Porsche signature and I think it's a cool touch.

I'm also not a fan of buying a car you can't even access all of the modes in, so I would spec Chrono always.

You get the GT wheel which is very nice, you get mode selector, you get individual mode, and you get Sport Plus. It's always worth it.

Sport Plus also changes PSM settings and rear wheel bias, making the car as sporty as possible and beyond what you can manually do without Chrono.
Sponsored

esortho

First Name
Soren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I would at least try out the different steering wheels before deciding. Especially on a Turbo you probably want a sportier wheel and the standard one, as nice as it is, is a bit thin and not at all like the GT ones. In retrospect I would have added it but didn’t for that reason alone.

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I didn’t spec it on my 4S (and don’t regret it) for a few reasons:
  1. I really dislike the analog clock, or “wart”, as some call it
  2. I prefer simpler steering wheels (the wheel on my 911 had zero controls on it and it was glorious)
  3. There’s a Sport button on the console screen to easily toggle between Normal and Sport mode
  4. There are fairly easy ways to enable switching between modes, but none as convenient as the rotary switch
  5. The amount of time I spend in Sport is pretty meager given all the power available in Normal
From the Good to Know app:

Porsche Taycan do I really need Sport Chrono? F260E482-64A9-40B5-8BB9-9E53DCDEC4E8

I don’t know what the extra ”Sport” mode for the Electric Sport Sound is — guessI got it’s just louder or something. From a power perspective, Sport and Sport Plus are equivalent.

Again, all of this is personal preference. What works for me and what I value is different than others.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Thanks for the info, I do have sport plus in chassis mode just not drive mode. When I do change it to chassis sport plus, I notice a sound difference, what differences do you notice in drive mode sport plus? Just interested, still love my baby though, did launch control yesterday for the first time, thought it might be too fast, but loved it. About the same as flooring it to me :) all day long
As mentioned by @PanameraFrank Sport+ does change the driving dynamics beyond what you get in Sport. I don't have the Sport Sound, but it is my understanding that it sounds different in Sport+.

Although the Taycan does not give you some of the other features in the Porsche ICE models with Sport Chrono (e.g., sport exhaust), the cost on the Taycan is much cheaper than on the other Porsche models. I had one Porsche that I didn't order Sport Chrono and regretted it. All of my other Porsches have had it, and the extras whether it's the steering wheel, mode dial, chronograph, additional Sport+ mode are worth the cost. Heck I spent $1000 to have four pieces of interior trim finished in Mamba Green. Sport Chrono is a bargain in comparison.

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Another yes vote from me. The mode selector is really worthwhile. I have had a number of cars with chrono and not really thought it was worth it but the newer cars with the different steering wheel and mode selector makes it 100% worth it.

tou won’t regret buying it BUT you might regret not buying it.

i Swap drive modes quite often ( it maybe because it’s easier to do) but I also think the car needs the different modes. You need to get away from normal mode that makes the gearshift very pronounced ( kickdown)

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
On my ICE Porsches it’s useful to prime the engine for merging and passing. With the instant torque of an EV that seems unnecessary, so I didn’t spec it.

(On the flip side, it’s impossible to leave Sport Plus on in an ICE without sounding like a hooligan, but you don’t have that problem in an EV.)

Dr.G

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Taycan 4s on order
Country flag
Considering the same options. Can’t quite seem to find out from forum so...

can anyone answer:
Without sport chrono is there not the option for range or sport plus mode? Is this correct or is it just hidden in the menus but still available?

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag

can anyone answer:
Without sport chrono is there not the option for range or sport plus mode? Is this correct or is it just hidden in the menus but still available?
In addition to the above ( I don’t think sports plus is available but I’ll let some more knowledgable answer) I’ve read sports plus gives a louder electric sport sound as referenced in a couple of previous posts.

Has anyone first hand experience of the difference in sound Between the 2 modes? Is the sound noticeably different in sports to sports plus?

Kevin2dx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 McLaren 720S
Country flag

can anyone answer:
I test drove a Turbo without the Sport Chrono about a week ago. From what I can recall, you could only choose between Normal and Sport on the main screen but not Sport Plus.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Sport Chrono.... Yes! Makes selecting drive modes very easy. I probably change drive modes about 3 times when driving. Particularly handy switching to individual mode to turn on city driving with sport sound to stop people walking out in front of you!

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
As gogs says. Definately spec it. Same here change modes several times each drive. It’s worth it just for the drive mode selector on the wheel and the different modes are very useable compared to Chrono on some other Porsche models I have experienced.

Nickj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon 4s
Country flag
As gogs says. Definately spec it. Same here change modes several times each drive. It’s worth it just for the drive mode selector on the wheel and the different modes are very useable compared to Chrono on some other Porsche models I have experienced.
Any descriptions/ views on the sound difference between sports and sports plus chaps?

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Sport Chrono.... Yes! Makes selecting drive modes very easy. I probably change drive modes about 3 times when driving. Particularly handy switching to individual mode to turn on city driving with sport sound to stop people walking out in front of you!
The Individual Setting is also a very nice feature with the Sport Chrono Package. With that you can make your own setting and have an extra one besides the default ones.

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Any descriptions/ views on the sound difference between sports and sports plus chaps?
I think the sound is off in sport mode and on in sports plus. I tend to use either range mode or sports plus ( either eco or full fat mode)

DaggieBe

Threads
Reaction score
Website
unrestricted.eu
Vehicles
This and that
Country flag
Imho, it's one of the few must-haves on every Porsche ..

The clock, because of the heritage, the better GT steering wheel, the knob which I use all the time when I go for a spirited drive, ...

Obviously a personal choice, but I hardly ever (if ever) see a car without Sport Chrono among (European) enthousiasts.
Sponsored