AndyWUK

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S Sport Turismo, 911 TurboS, F12 Nlargo,
Country flag
The values in the UK are tanking, a lot more than I thought they would.
Sponsored

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
Trying to decide, given the end goal is to keep the car anyway, if I take the lease and $7500 rebate but pay the effective APR that is ~2% higher on the depreciation and then buy at residual or skip the lease, possibly be in the 6s or 7s APR and just finance.
There is also a gamble if the CT4S will be worth more or less than residual in 39 months. If the residual is lower, I could (if I wanted) to offload that at a profit. But I also get to get out if values tank bellow 52% from MSRP
Thoughts?
Crystal balls?

MAPC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2023.5 Defender, 2019 X1
Country flag
My '21 Taycan, fairly optioned with a $7500 federal credit and no sales tax will be the most expensive car I have ever had the privilege of driving. It will not be worth the 50% residual when the lease is up in 8 months. I don't think all the previous (2) 991 911's and GT3 have equaled the depreciation that this vehicle has experienced combined. No further comment, other than the Taycan and its inferior infrastructure, is just not worth the total cost.
From my recent shopping experience, 2021’s (assuming reasonably low mileage) should fetch close to 60% of MSRP. I bought my 2020 at 50% and a) that wasn’t easy to accomplish and b) 2021’s were 5-9k more.

My research: (all for 4S’s):
2020- 68-75k
2021- 75-79k

These were obviously retail prices, not trade in values.

Base models were 5-10k lower.

MAPC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2023.5 Defender, 2019 X1
Country flag
In my national search, I did not see any Taycans (regardless of year) CPOed for under like 70k... Not that I was looking for sedans. I did see some CT Turbos and Turbo S with massive drops. Mostly on the coasts (like CA and NY dealers). But also, color combinations were definitely, at least in my household of all women and just me, not compatible :CWL: Black with a carmine red interior (which I like)... you should have seen the looks I got from my girls. "Ya dad, no"... And I am saying that as I plan at some point to wrap the car in my wife's favorite purple.
TL;DR - I saw Turbos and Turbo S with non-mainstream color combos with most considerable price drops.
Correct in that CPO’s are all over 70k
I bought black with Bordeaux and in my household of women, they all loved it (as did I!).
Having said that, I think that the Taycan would look AMAZING in Amethyst or Viola Metallic

I want to see your pics once you do it!

laua

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, V60, CT4S incoming
Country flag
I would think the way to approach is to measure the all in cost to lease then finance after, tested against a straight finance. If the tax credit on the lease offsets the higher lease rate vs financing, then you get the free option to put the car to Porsche at the residual. If the lease still costs more, then the delta is the cost of the option of putting the car at the residual; whether that is valuable to you depends on how likely you think you would get rid of it. I’ve personally only ever sold one of my cars, and even then I’ve driven it for 11 years. Personally, the option to sell at the residual is worthless, though I did lease my Volvo v60 because I managed to get the lease rate to 0%; free money never hurts!

Irv09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo 2020; Panamera GTS; 911
Country flag
I am at the end of my lease for a Turbo and my residual is $79K and the trade in is about $72K. I will probably turn it in

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
My opinion/prediction is that the gen 1 Taycan will become the 996 of their EVs; the similitudes are numerous (and go beyond the "plasticky interior" so derided by so many :rolleyes:), and will probably extend, in time, to the 996's status as "the forever-$20k Porsche". (Ok, maybe it'll stop at 40, but I don't see why.)

Don't get me wrong - it is and will remain a very solid and competent vehicle until the end of time, but anyone trying to time the market with regard to pricing is just guessing when to best catch a falling knife. Like the 996 (or any other Porsche model, for that matter), its design will age well; what won't will be its relative scarcity (so no second hand or 3P market for parts), its limited degree of DIY repairability and diagnostics, the inexorable advance of technology (battery tech, NACS taking over etc..) Unlike the 996, it won't have the cachet of appealing to enthusiasts - the Taycan's sole ace is that it's a good-looking EV - of which Porsche already made and sold more than 100k units in ~3 years. (The most successful 911 series totaled ~210k units for the 6 year run of the 997.)

So - if you're looking for a forever-daily driver, buy with confidence, new or used, at whichever price point you're willing to enter; you won't be disappointed. Same applies if you're unconcerned about such trivial matters as losing money on vehicular purchases. But otherwise, know (or be prepared) that this model will continue to drop in value like a rock for another 4-5 years. Good luck.

OP
OP

agurkas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 CT4S, Volvo XC90, BMW X3
Country flag
So - if you're looking for a forever-daily driver, buy with confidence, new or used, at whichever price point you're willing to enter; you won't be disappointed. Same applies if you're unconcerned about such trivial matters as losing money on vehicular purchases. But otherwise, know (or be prepared) that this model will continue to drop in value like a rock for another 4-5 years. Good luck.
You nailed our situation with this one and why I leased - I can already see my wife enjoying it (I think she has always supressed her love for visceral cars... because I was more into it) and lease with that 7500 rebate after I mathed it out for our case, made the most sense. I have a happy wife, I will enjoy driving that car too. Whatever happens in 39 months isn't really my problem, it is Porsche's. I will decide who is keeping the car then :)

OP
OP

agurkas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 CT4S, Volvo XC90, BMW X3
Country flag
Correct in that CPO’s are all over 70k
I bought black with Bordeaux and in my household of women, they all loved it (as did I!).
Having said that, I think that the Taycan would look AMAZING in Amethyst or Viola Metallic

I want to see your pics once you do it!
I am a happily married man... I choose to stay out of their color preferences :) That is why I am a happily married man.
Sponsored