Electric sound

rstr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
My car has an official (after a series of delays) production date set to 29th of May. I really liked the Electric Sound option, when I first drove a demo car in March. Since that time I tried to add it to my config (made without a demo ride), but even nearly 3 months ago I got a final answer that the configuration is locked by the factory and my dealer is not able to request to change it any more. Is there, in this group, maybe someone who could help anyhow to still edit this config? I'd be really grateful! (I guess not, but it's always worth to try... ;) ).

Or do You know if this will be able to be added as retrofit or OTA update? I've heard that in the US yes, but not in Europe...

Nevertheless, it's irritating that You order a top-market-segment car and although the production is very much delayed, they don't even let You add something...
Sponsored

ThomasDK

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW I3
Country flag
I think it is only software, al the speakers are there. So do you not think it will be possible to buy it afterwards. Like comfort access and other things mentioned in the brochure?
But I do not think Porsche are completely ready fore this yet.

OP
OP
rstr

rstr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I think it is only software, al the speakers are there. So do you not think it will be possible to buy it afterwards. Like comfort access and other things mentioned in the brochure?
But I do not think Porsche are completely ready fore this yet.
Thanks for the hint, however that's something that my local dealership actually did check and they said that for sure the hardware (speakers + controller) is not coming with the car, so it won't be available in the store like comfort access, which is by default in all the cars :(

ThomasDK

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW I3
Country flag
Thanks for the hint, however that's something that my local dealership actually did check and they said that for sure the hardware (speakers + controller) is not coming with the car, so it won't be available in the store like comfort access, which is by default in all the cars :(
Sorry to hear. I still do not have a car, but what I loved during the test was when the car arrived. The outside spaceship is so nice. I have no clue if this is also “electric sound” or every car has it.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Sorry to hear. I still do not have a car, but what I loved during the test was when the car arrived. The outside spaceship is so nice. I have no clue if this is also “electric sound” or every car has it.
The outside “spaceship” noise is there with every car. I believe that is an EU requirement for pedestrian safety. I know our model3 does not have it and people just do not hear it at parking garages or parking places.

The option for the Taycan is the extra sound interior that can be switched on or off. I think that is basically the electric motor sound with amplification in the stereo? A novelty yes but for me the jury is still out Whether to have it on or not??

Last edited:

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
My car has an official (after a series of delays) production date set to 29th of May. I really liked the Electric Sound option, when I first drove a demo car in March. Since that time I tried to add it to my config (made without a demo ride), but even nearly 3 months ago I got a final answer that the configuration is locked by the factory and my dealer is not able to request to change it any more. Is there, in this group, maybe someone who could help anyhow to still edit this config? I'd be really grateful! (I guess not, but it's always worth to try... ;) ).

Or do You know if this will be able to be added as retrofit or OTA update? I've heard that in the US yes, but not in Europe...

Nevertheless, it's irritating that You order a top-market-segment car and although the production is very much delayed, they don't even let You add something...
Same day as mine :fist bump:

i was told that it was available using FOD but at the last minute i added anyway alone with comfort access

but I’ve also seen other people mention that it needs some hardware ie speakers etc, but as sports chrono is available to retrofit then i would like to think sports sound is too

i‘ve mentioned it before but was told that Sports sound, Comfort access and power steering + would all be available in FOD

I’m not sure when FOD will actually start? As some lucky people have had Taycan’s for 6 months now i would have thought it would already be available

OP
OP
rstr

rstr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Hey @Scandinavian, @Lfcdan, the Electric Sound cover the additional both outside and inside, it's even written in the config creator:
Porsche Electric Sport Sound enhances the vehicle’s own sound and makes it sound even more emotional - both outside and inside the vehicle. Can be activated/deactivated via Porsche Communication Management
@Lfcdan - Could You please say what do You mean by "FOD", I'm afraid I don't know this acronym?

By the way, congrats on adding this anyways. I should've done this as well, but I was suggested by the dealer that it sounds badly. When I finally drove the demo, it was too late, although it was 3 months ago, they still wouldn't let me add it. I quite don't understand why such a brand can't have a bit more custom approach towards their clients.

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Dealers so far seem to have no better information than anyone else. You may yet get the chance to blow $500 on turning your car into a Disneyland ride. I did.

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
Hey @Scandinavian, @Lfcdan, the Electric Sound cover the additional both outside and inside, it's even written in the config creator:

@Lfcdan - Could You please say what do You mean by "FOD", I'm afraid I don't know this acronym?

By the way, congrats on adding this anyways. I should've done this as well, but I was suggested by the dealer that it sounds badly. When I finally drove the demo, it was too late, although it was 3 months ago, they still wouldn't let me add it. I quite don't understand why such a brand can't have a bit more custom approach towards their clients.
Sorry pal it stands for “Function On Demand” its what Porsche call features that can be downloaded

i was told that these features can be rented for days, weeks or months or purchased outright

I was also told that on future models it could be that you can add extra BHP or battery (unlock some of the 10-12% that Porsche reserve )if you’re doing a track day for example

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Dealers so far seem to have no better information than anyone else. You may yet get the chance to blow $500 on turning your car into a Disneyland ride. I did.
The thing is we will only use it for the first few weeks to show off to our mates and then turn it off :CWL:

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The thing is we will only use it for the first few weeks to show off to our mates and then turn it off :CWL:
For reasons that escape me, my mate thinks such behavior is juvenile and decidedly unimpressive. I’ll just share it with friends and tell them I bought it with the money I saved by not buying the color matched key fob.

OP
OP
rstr

rstr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
@Lfcdan - thanks for the explanation :) Considering that wireless CarPlay, which is available currently even in Skoda, overwhelms engineers from Porsche at the moment, I guess we'll wait rather years before the roll out such technologically advanced options. Yet, my dealership said, that the Electric Sound will not be available there as it requires the hardware, so I shouldn't count for that rather...

@Brassfactory and @Lfcdan - Yeah, I fully agree that this is not an option for the daily use. Definitely. Yet, I like my cars to be perfect and in this case, it'd be great to show off a bit, from time to time, even though it's quite juvenile ;)

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
To the best of my knowledge the sound is just that: a sound. All the hardware is already part of the base vehicle. As someone else stated it's required to make some noise at low speed as a warning to pedestrians.

I like the noise and will probably leave it on most of the time. Only time will tell.

OP
OP
rstr

rstr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
To the best of my knowledge the sound is just that: a sound. All the hardware is already part of the base vehicle. As someone else stated it's required to make some noise at low speed as a warning to pedestrians.

I like the noise and will probably leave it on most of the time. Only time will tell.
The logic thinking tells you that theoretically - all the hardware should be there (as the car needs to have the outside speakers due to law regulations). Yet, I don't see any reason why the dealership was supposed to lie to me saying that the devices are not there if I didn't choose the option.

It makes me quite angry that they didn't let me edit the config, although there was 3 months till (much) delayed production date.

When I get the car in 2 weeks, I'll check it - even for my curiosity.
Sponsored