Electrify Canada - What has your experience been like?

shayman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 4S Cross Tourismo (Est. June)
Country flag
Hey folks,

Looking forward to some fall roadtrips in southern Ontario and I was curious as to what the experience has been like for people at Electrify Canada charging stations. Any better than the stories I've read about Electrify America?

Scott
Sponsored

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I'm from South of the border, and on the other coast, but I won't let that get in the way: I venture out North regularly, and always charge at EC in Squamish. (Have not tried other locations.) Stellar record with reliability - any plug I ever tried just worked. The issues for me were availability - it's always busy, and some people are downright un-Canadian in their not-giving-a-fuck-about-idling - and speed; I rarely saw above 180kW from a 350 dispenser.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
@WasserGKuehlt I don't understand your comment above about idling. Occupying charging spot without charging, or something else?
Yes, owners taking fast plugs (id.4 in a 350) - ok, that happens, but charging had stopped and the clock was ticking. As by magic, the owner showed up exactly as the idle grace period expired. Uncool.

(But interestingly enough, the ID4 seems to support a target charge level for fast charging, which many here complained about missing on the Taycan.)
(Sorry, OP, I’m done hijacking the thread.)

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm from the west coast and have taken on a few road trips. Haven't had any issues apart from plug and charge which no longer works after my trial period ended.

Have used a few ECs along hwy 1 too - never had issues.

You should look up petrocanada fast charger too... Used them a few times and worked like a charm. Costs a bit more than EC tho

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
I averaged 111 kW in my wife's i4 at Sherbrooke QC over the span of 20% to 80%, so that might be maxing out the i4 charging curve.
The station was totally deserted during my visit on a Saturday evening.
As was the Canadian Tire parking lot.
Ditto for Walmart and all the other nearby stores.
This baffled me until I walked over the Walmart to use the restroom and discovered that it was already closed, even at 5pm IIRC -- must be some sort of regulatory requirement?
Sponsored