Your Electrify America Experiences (and Locations)?

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
Last week I completed another 1000 mile trip in my Taycan driving from Connecticut to Georgia. This is the 7th time I have done the trip since I got the car in April 2020. To date, I have never been stranded at any of the Electrify America chargers. What I have noticed during the past 2 plus years is the following:
- In the beginning (2020/2021), I had to occasionally call EA to have the charger connected or rebooted. On my last two 1000 miles trips, I did not need to call EA.
- The chargers are much more crowded with a mix of different EV makes and models
- Even EVs that can't ingest more than 100kW all flock to the 350kW chargers on the misbelief that the 350kW chargers will speed up charge time vs the 150kW chargers
- More often than not, I can pull more than 150kW from the 150kW chargers (fyi, the 150kW chargers are pretty good and only add about 10 minutes from 10% to 85% SOC)
- the guess-o-meter on the Taycan is pretty accurate and I no longer have range anxiety and regularly arrive at EA locations with single digit SOC remaining
- From Oct 2021 to last week I have charged exclusively at the EA Chargers in Stamford, CT, Stratford, CT and Trumbull, CT (my house in CT does not have a home charger). I exceeded the 30 minute sessions once by 1 minute costing me a total of 33 cents in energy expenses from Oct to July.

During my last trip, I used the EA chargers at:
- Greenville, SC (I couldn't use the 350kW chargers because the cords and parking bump stops didn't align with the Taycan charging port)
- Statesville, NC
- Wake Forest, NC
- Richmond, VA
- Columbia, MD
- Somerdale, NJ

I easily exceeded 3 miles per kW at highway speeds. My car has the 21 inch Mission e rims (see pics from last week's trip)

The massage seats are still one of my favorite options !!

Porsche Taycan Your Electrify America Experiences (and Locations)? 20220719_154736_resized
Porsche Taycan Your Electrify America Experiences (and Locations)? 20220719_214356_resized

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
The majority of my local EA charger banks have all been working fine.

Also Plug and Charge has worked seamlessly on approx 90% of those working chargers but I'll occasionally encounter a charger where the communication between vehicle and charging station doesn't seem to work. I simply switch to the next charger that's open and P&C works no problem, so no general network issue.

I encountered my first broken chargers in months at the local Irvine Spectrum charging bank where a couple different chargers were offline (out of 6) and one of the remaining working chargers, P&C was not working either.
Funny story to add to my earlier reply. After leaving work today I went to charge up my battery at a local bank of EA chargers at a nearby Target store.

Porsche Taycan Your Electrify America Experiences (and Locations)? IMG_20220725_151413

On the SAME CHARGER STALL I plugged in plug #1 (because why not) and Plug & Charge failed to initiate. However because I did not feel like re parking the car I plugged in #2 instead and *BOOM* everything worked as it should.

EA is weird...

Last edited:

Avharrisjr

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne S, and Taycan
Country flag
We travel round trip Seattle to San Francisco about twice per month. EA charging stations all along the I-5 corridor have been generally reliable. Sometimes 1 or 2 out of 8 stations might be offline, but mostly good. EA customer service is superior. We could use higher percentage of 350 kw stations but those are probably coming.
Sponsored