• Start date
  • Watchers 2

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
That's interesting for me to hear. In Ireland, most insurance is "agreed value", meaning that every year you and your insurer agree how much the car is worth for that insurance period. If the car is written off then the agreed value is paid out with little to no discussion.

It means that you don't play the "current market price" game. It probably helps that new car's aren't sold over their MRP – so generally for the first 4 or 5 years of a car's life – insurers are happy to set the agreed value at the retail price of your current model.

Sounds very different to the US. Ironically, my Taycan is insured by a US-based insurer: CHUBB.
Can you agree on any value and the insurance just adjusts the premium to match the value? So if you prefer to pay next to no insurance, you agree it's worth $1,000. Or, if you like to gamble, agree on $3,000,000 so you can replace your Taycan with a Nevers should it get totaled.
Sponsored

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
My insurance guarantees a new car with same options if you total your current car within the first 3 years.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My insurance guarantees a new car with same options if you total your current car within the first 3 years.
Do they get you a comparable rental for the 1-2 years waiting for that new car? And do they cover the price of the new car for the future model year of which you can get an allocation for (getting on a wait list for a Taycan today might yield you a MY24 or even MY25 Taycan)?

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Do they get you a comparable rental for the 1-2 years waiting for that new car? And do they cover the price of the new car for the future model year of which you can get an allocation for (getting on a wait list for a Taycan today might yield you a MY24 or even MY25 Taycan)?
I wasn't talking specifically about the taycan but on a previous vehicle of mine, the contract clearly stated "new car price" for the first 3 years ownership. Meaning they would give you exactly the price you declared when you took the insurance without any depreciation. I very much doubt they'd care about waiting time or new model price increase.

One of my close friends just totalled his 6 months old Tesla and insurance is giving him 80% of purchase price. Not funny.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wasn't talking specifically about the taycan but on a previous vehicle of mine, the contract clearly stated "new car price" for the first 3 years ownership. Meaning they would give you exactly the price you declared when you took the insurance without any depreciation. I very much doubt they'd care about waiting time or new model price increase.

One of my close friends just totalled his 6 months old Tesla and insurance is giving him 80% of purchase price. Not funny.
Ok, so you don’t get a new car, you get your original purchase price (or whatever value you gave them on which they based the premium). You can insure almost anything. Anyone can buy life insurance on anyone, not even tell them about it. There is a jeweler in Canada who insures against certain amount of snow falling in January. His policy states that if a certain minimum amount of snow falls in January, the insurance company will refund all customers who bought there in November and December in the prior year - he uses it as a Christmas shopping promotion. He did collect once, hence it made the newspapers. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 6348

I received payment for my totaled Taycan. The process took a while, but the insurance company really did right by me. The value paid truly reflects the replacement cost for a new Taycan 4S in this market.

My old car is now up on the IAAI auction site.

https://www.iaai.com/VehicleDetail/36269285~US

I still have my Mission E wheels with summer tires as the car was totaled with my winter wheel set. I will be posting those up for sale soon. Feel free to DM if interested.
Sponsored