chboy17

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am a relatively new Taycan 4S owner (3500 miles). So far, the car has been great with the exception of some of the known issues I have read about (back up camera, PCM wackiness, etc). I recently took the car on a round trip from Phoenix to Indian Wells, CA stopping for a charge at EA in Quartzite (which was totally seamless). When I got the car home last week, I plugged it in for charge overnight (Home profile to 85% at optimized charging). When I went to drive it on Tuesday morning, I got the following:

Porsche Taycan Error during charging Message erro charging 1

I thought it was just an anomaly, drove to work, spent lunch charging at the Wal Mart EA station with no issue other than the SOC when at 85% was about 180 miles (before the road trip it had been 200-ish miles). Plugged it in on Thursday using the same profile as mentioned above and got the following:

Porsche Taycan Error during charging Message erro charging 2

Did a little research and saw it was suggested to switch off optimized charging and move to a timed charge. Switched this in the existing profile, plugged it in and received yet another error message. I pressed Direct Charging in the car and it started charging with no error although I had to manage it up to 85%.

The other steps I have taken are to delete the profile, turn off and lock the car, wait 5 minutes, turn it back on and create a new profile - same charging error result. So, it charges on EA. It charges on Direct Charging, but throws off the error every time I try to use a profile at home. The dealer just wanted me to schedule an appointment (3 weeks from now). I wanted to see if anyone else had seen this error and if there was a fix

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
Try resetting your home charger by unplugging it a few minutes or with the breaker if it is hardwired. Won’t do any harm, although it may not work either. Good luck.

MartyMeatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
The supplied charger is extremely sensitive to ground faults (which aren't really ground faults). Mine does this if I open or close the garage door while charging or turn on the landscaping lights, both of which are on the same circuit.

At my vacation home I have a Chargepoint and never have a problem with that.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
Try resetting your home charger by unplugging it a few minutes or with the breaker if it is hardwired. Won’t do any harm, although it may not work either. Good luck.
if your home charging is on the drivers side, try moving it to the passenger side (same side EA chargers use)..if you still have a problem I'd suspect your home charger

JCW_DFW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Did it work, to reboot the home charger as suggested? Having same problem, and would really like to be able to cancel my service appointment that's ten days out.

OP
OP
chboy17

chboy17

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The reboot did not work. I took the charger into the dealer and it was diagnosed with a failed heat sensor. The charger would get too hot then shut itself off. I had to turn the charger down to 50% which kept it charging without a failure, but took forever to charge the car.

I had to take the Taycan in last week for the software update and I finally got my new charger.

JCW_DFW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The reboot did not work. I took the charger into the dealer and it was diagnosed with a failed heat sensor. The charger would get too hot then shut itself off. I had to turn the charger down to 50% which kept it charging without a failure, but took forever to charge the car.

I had to take the Taycan in last week for the software update and I finally got my new charger.
Thanks. Been wondering if it's the charger, and not the car, but I never charge anyplace except my garage.

Shaf

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6 Allroad
Country flag
I am a relatively new Taycan 4S owner (3500 miles). So far, the car has been great with the exception of some of the known issues I have read about (back up camera, PCM wackiness, etc). I recently took the car on a round trip from Phoenix to Indian Wells, CA stopping for a charge at EA in Quartzite (which was totally seamless). When I got the car home last week, I plugged it in for charge overnight (Home profile to 85% at optimized charging). When I went to drive it on Tuesday morning, I got the following:

erro charging 1.png

I thought it was just an anomaly, drove to work, spent lunch charging at the Wal Mart EA station with no issue other than the SOC when at 85% was about 180 miles (before the road trip it had been 200-ish miles). Plugged it in on Thursday using the same profile as mentioned above and got the following:

erro charging 2.png

Did a little research and saw it was suggested to switch off optimized charging and move to a timed charge. Switched this in the existing profile, plugged it in and received yet another error message. I pressed Direct Charging in the car and it started charging with no error although I had to manage it up to 85%.

The other steps I have taken are to delete the profile, turn off and lock the car, wait 5 minutes, turn it back on and create a new profile - same charging error result. So, it charges on EA. It charges on Direct Charging, but throws off the error every time I try to use a profile at home. The dealer just wanted me to schedule an appointment (3 weeks from now). I wanted to see if anyone else had seen this error and if there was a fix

I have had the same message and it is now resolved. I found my charging cable was getting very hot. 130 degree or more where the cable goes into the plug I did a lot of experimenting. I reduced the charge amps to 30 and the cable was cooler and no more errors. I also tried a second cable and the cable temp dropped 30 degrees And no more errors. I finally got the dealer to duplicate and document and I got a new cable under warranty. It runs 30/40 degrees cooler and no more errors. Long story short I think the hightemp was causing the error. All good now.

Snappy77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Most likely the cable. It's a known issue. Got a new cable from the dealer as they were able to reproduce the error.

Professor

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan . 2017 Rolls Royce Dawn
Country flag
Same problem here. The cable is the problem. But my dealer wants me to bring in my Taycan and the charger unit for warranty purposes. I will have to leave it. So I purchased an inexpensive charger as a backup. I’m sure this will occur again.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
After almost 16,000 miles of trouble free charging, I just started having the same problem. I guess a trip to the dealer is in order.

JCW_DFW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Update on my query in this thread a couple weeks ago. . . Took it to dealer, same problem as others describe here. Problem with both the charging unit overheating and the cable. Original solution? "It will take 23 weeks to get a new charging unit, not safe to use it (fire hazard) take it to a charging station or the dealer for charging." This was on Saturday of last weekend. I very firmly, but politely, pitched a fit and on Monday, it was down to six weeks for new unit. I very firmly, but politely, pitched another fit and said they would either need to pay for the aftermarket charger I was about to have shipped by Amazon or I was keeping their scarce loaner for the duration. Yesterday, the dealer miraculously found a replacement and it is being delivered to them today. This is a great car, but the service operation is definitely not ready for prime time. Not enough techs, not enough experience, not enough parts.

By the time I was done, I had escalated all the way up to the dealership's GM to get what I needed. The advisor was completely over his head, the service manager who took over was better. He confessed, in the end, that this particular problem is popping up all over the place on Mobile Charger Connect units sold about a year ago. (And when I looked at the work papers they gave me, I was stunned at the number of software patches and recalls they had done while they had the car.)

Professor

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan . 2017 Rolls Royce Dawn
Country flag
I’m having a similar problem. My Taycan is a year old. I get an error code during recharging. My dealer is aware of the issue and told me it appears to be the cord which can be repaired. So I have to bring both the car and the charger to the dealership. I had to wait two weeks to get a loaner. That required me to purchase an inexpensive charger online which works great. I’m glad I did purchase the charger because I bet this will happen again, and as my wife says “if it’s juiceless, it’s useless”. So next week I’ll take it to the dealer. I also find the technicians, although getting better, are still having problems with this technology. But I still love this car. It puts a smile on my face everyday.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I've been driving for a year, almost 18K miles, and got the charging error myself in last night's charging session.

I believe the problem was heat though, we had an exceptionally hot day and I had to charge deeper than I normally do - it was following a day of Porsche Club touring.

Will see if it recurs.

JCW_DFW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hate to say it, but good luck. I did a charge in Dallas last night from 25% up to 100%, in my 105 degree garage, using the new cord on the charging unit. If you get recurring error and have yours serviced at Park Place, Robert Salazar is the manager who knows exactly what to do about this. He's the guy who worked on getting my parts delivery down from 23 weeks to one week.
Sponsored