First Name
Clare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne - Land Rover Discovery
Country flag
Hi

Having ordered my new Taycan sport turismo - I was about to press the button for the Anderson charger when I decided to double check if there was anything else that rivalled it. I was slightly concerned about recent reviews and when I had a query with Anderson, let’s just say they were not the best - and that is before the sale of the product.

I came across a Simpson and Partner who appear to be a new company with historical links to Anderson.The reviews on Trustpiltot are good.

I suppose my concerns lies with the early years of the company and the downside is that the cable isn’t hidden in the box.

Does anyone have any personal experience of Simpson and Partner. Would they recommend?

Any general advice is welcomed
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I believe a charger/EVSE is included with Taycan in the UK (apologies if I'm wrong) and the European version of the Porsche EVSE is quite excellent (unlike the North American variation).

does one need a charger above/beyond the included Porsche EVSE?

I'll delete this posting if I'm incorrect.

OP
OP

Rockobell

First Name
Clare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi Dave,

thanks for your reply. I need an EV charger installed at my home. I was just looking for people’s experiences

thanks
Clare

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Hi Dave,

thanks for your reply. I need an EV charger installed at my home. I was just looking for people’s experiences

thanks
Clare
It is actually possible to mount the supplied charger on a wall with included fittings, you just need the high power cable from your fuse box and “gorilla” socket.
I have an Andersen, fitted October 2021 before I got my car which looks nice and works fine so far.
I hadn’t realised the supplied charger could do the job and I am going to fund a gorilla socket at my daughter’s house and use it there when we visit.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I have an Andersen which looks great. It is far better aesthetically than anything else on the market and the cable is hidden. If that is important to you then there isn't really another option. If that is not important then go with whatever you like the look of and whatever spec works for you. You could use the supplied Porsche one if you don't want to keep it in the car for use, Zappi are supposed to be good with solar and Ohme will allow you to access the Intelligent Octopus tariff. Lots of threads. Oh, and unless you want @W1NGE to get you, you will need to call it an EVSE, not a charger ;)

OP
OP

Rockobell

First Name
Clare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have an Andersen which looks great. It is far better aesthetically than anything else on the market and the cable is hidden. If that is important to you then there isn't really another option. If that is not important then go with whatever you like the look of and whatever spec works for you. You could use the supplied Porsche one if you don't want to keep it in the car for use, Zappi are supposed to be good with solar and Ohme will allow you to access the Intelligent Octopus tariff. Lots of threads. Oh, and unless you want @W1NGE to get you, you will need to call it an EVSE, not a charger ;)
Dave

I agree - looks is very very important to me… bit I do think the Simpson is on par with Anderson and given it is owned and run by those who founded Anderson they have the knowledge - just wanted to hear any experiences of those with Anderson and Simpson and Partners as Anderson’s customer service since it went into administration and taken over appears to very very poor and not to the standard it was before.

Rab88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
In my experience, best stick with the known, mainstream manufacturers. When it comes to apps, their backend (servers, programming, fixes etc), customer service when things go wrong, you'll regret going with the lesser knowns.

As an example I lost my engineer code for my EV BOX Charing point. Called them on Saturday and they answered the phone straight away, and got the code as soon as I gave them the serial.

The neatest I've seen recently is the Easee One, comes in a few colours and is quite small too.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I would have either IF I didn't get an EVSE "free" with the car.

The cosmetics are key on the basis that these EVSEs (they aren't chargers remember as the charger is in the car on all EVs) simply provide a safe supply of electricity to the car's charger.

Andersen would be my pick for an outdoor installation. I used their installers for my Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC) who also ran a 32A fused supply. First class install.

Feature set is irrelevant too IMHO given we programme the car to manage the charging session and not the EVSE.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I would have either IF I didn't get an EVSE "free" with the car.

The cosmetics are key on the basis that these EVSEs (they aren't chargers remember as the charger is in the car on all EVs) simply provide a safe supply of electricity to the car's charger.

Andersen would be my pick for an outdoor installation. I used their installers for my Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC) who also ran a 32A fused supply. First class install.

Feature set is irrelevant too IMHO given we programme the car to manage the charging session and not the EVSE.
listen to @W1NGE - he knows of what he speaks…

Clod Reed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune blue Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I have a simpson ….looks great ….works perfectly..the main advantage was any electrician can fit and still have a 3 year warranty…..also if the plug end of a tethered wire of an Andersen wears or fails it’s not so easy to replace ….the Simpson can be both and the untethered can also be locked in..

Clod Reed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune blue Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Hi

Having ordered my new Taycan sport turismo - I was about to press the button for the Anderson charger when I decided to double check if there was anything else that rivalled it. I was slightly concerned about recent reviews and when I had a query with Anderson, let’s just say they were not the best - and that is before the sale of the product.

I came across a Simpson and Partner who appear to be a new company with historical links to Anderson.The reviews on Trustpiltot are good.

I suppose my concerns lies with the early years of the company and the downside is that the cable isn’t hidden in the box.

Does anyone have any personal experience of Simpson and Partner. Would they recommend?

Any general advice is welcomed
I have a simpson ….looks great ….works perfectly..the main advantage was any electrician can fit and still have a 3 year warranty…..also if the plug end of a tethered wire of an Andersen wears or fails it’s not so easy to replace (fitters words not mine) ….the Simpson can be both and the untethered can also be locked in
it’s also cheaper 😉

Dalaki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vehicles
Country flag
Cosmetics are key on the basis that these EVSEs (they aren't chargers remember as the charger is in the car on all EVs) simply provide a safe supply of electricity to the car's charger.
Pushing water uphill here, I think! :rolleyes:
Porsche Taycan EV Charger - Simpson v Anderson Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 08.28.36

OP
OP

Rockobell

First Name
Clare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a simpson ….looks great ….works perfectly..the main advantage was any electrician can fit and still have a 3 year warranty…..also if the plug end of a tethered wire of an Andersen wears or fails it’s not so easy to replace (fitters words not mine) ….the Simpson can be both and the untethered can also be locked in
it’s also cheaper 😉
Wonderful - thanks for this.