pwdrescher

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
I just purchased a house and am awaiting delivery of my 2021 Porsche Taycan. The house has not been fitted for an electric vehicle so wanted to come to the forum to get an idea on what will be needed. Is there a specific type of charger I should have installed? Should I just use the Porsche charger provided with the vehicle? Anything else you guys think is necessary for me to know. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
In the US, the best option is to have an electrician run a quite heavy gauge wire to your desired location and install a NEMA 14-50 outlet with a 50 amp circuit. It kind of depends on whether your existing home circuitry can handle this, which is why some people go with lower amperage.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
Have an electrician come out and give you some quotes. I think the options you want to ask him to cover are:
  1. NEMA 14-50 outlet. You can use the Porsche charger, or you can add a wall-mounted EVSE that plugs into the outlet.
  2. Hardwire a wall-mounted EVSE.
Either option is just fine for charging a Taycan. You don't really need more than 30A/7.2kW, so even the 40A/9.6kW that you get with a NEMA 14-50 outlet is overkill.

The main reason to prefer hardwired is that it lets you go past 40A for the circuit. If you buy a second EV in the future, you can add a second charger, but you can't ever go past 40A total. That means each EV would charge at 20A. If you were to run heavier-gauge wire capable of supporting 60A (on an 80A breaker), you could charge both at 30A.

Depending on your circumstances, there may not be much of a price difference between the options, in which case I'd go for #2 just for future-proofing.

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
I just purchased a house and am awaiting delivery of my 2021 Porsche Taycan. The house has not been fitted for an electric vehicle so wanted to come to the forum to get an idea on what will be needed. Is there a specific type of charger I should have installed? Should I just use the Porsche charger provided with the vehicle? Anything else you guys think is necessary for me to know. Thank you in advance.
my local utility (long island) gives almost free chargers. That charger )(a nice juice net unit) is installed and works quite well (and gets me rebates if I charge 11pm-6am). I keep the Porsche Charger in the car (trunk is designed for that) and it is available when travelling. Check if Syracuse does something similar.
Sponsored