First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I got it today at last!

We decided to make a mini road trip to the nearest EA charger and try it out. The first 350kw charger I tried refused to work. The second one did work (after 2 tries) but inexplicably stopped 10 minutes in, which was suboptimal. It was rated at up to 350kw but it ran just over 150kw...is that a normal experience?

I then took it home and hooked it up to a Tesla HPWC with a TeslaTap and...that didn't work either! I discovered that the problem was the general charging profile was set to 25% and we were over that. I wonder if that affected the fast DC charging too?

I need to enable Plug and Charge and give that station another try.

Onboard charging at home kinda sucks (1/2 the speed of the Tesla) presumably due to a slower onboard charger.

Anyway, a day of frustration/confusion mixed with some elation.

Porsche Taycan First Day Charging Experience IMG_0131

Porsche Taycan First Day Charging Experience IMG_0134

Porsche Taycan First Day Charging Experience IMG_0135

Porsche Taycan First Day Charging Experience IMG_0137

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
That’s a pretty awesome color!

What’s the amperage of your HPWC circuit? Did you spec the 19.2kW on-board charger? With David’s new 80A TeslaTap mini & my HPWC, so far I’ve seen the car demand nearly 18kW when topping off to 80%.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
That’s a pretty awesome color!

What’s the amperage of your HPWC circuit? Did you spec the 19.2kW on-board charger? With David’s new 80A TeslaTap mini & my HPWC, so far I’ve seen the car demand nearly 18kW when topping off to 80%.
Sadly no. I see just shy of 11kW on the 60 amp teslatap to a 48 amp wall connector on a 60 amp circuit.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I got it today at last!

We decided to make a mini road trip to the nearest EA charger and try it out. The first 350kw charger I tried refused to work. The second one did work (after 2 tries) but inexplicably stopped 10 minutes in, which was suboptimal. It was rated at up to 350kw but it ran just over 150kw...is that a normal experience?

I then took it home and hooked it up to a Tesla HPWC with a TeslaTap and...that didn't work either! I discovered that the problem was the general charging profile was set to 25% and we were over that. I wonder if that affected the fast DC charging too?

Onboard charging at home kinda sucks (1/2 the speed of the Tesla) presumably due to a slower onboard charger.

IMG_0131.jpeg

IMG_0134.jpeg

IMG_0135.jpeg

IMG_0137.jpeg
  • 25% minimum charge does not affect DC fast charging
  • 11 kW (48 amp charging) is the standard factory option - this is behaving correctly for a home charger (like the Tesla Wall chargers)
  • let us know how plug&charge works
  • 150 kW for an EA station is pretty common - you won’t get more than that unless your battery is below 20-30% SOC…but I’ve owned Tesla‘s for 7 years, and the Taycan charges faster due to less tapering until 90% SOC - ignore the peak charging marketing number - this car rocks at charging with more than 150 kW charge rates deep into the 80% SOC range
congrats - beautiful color - my favorite other than my Blue…

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
don’t be sad about not spec’ing he 19.2 kW charging - currently it is incompatible with Plug&Charge - you can have Plug&Charge _OR_ 19.2 kW charging - but currently you can’t have both.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I got it today at last!

IMG_0131.jpeg

IMG_0134.jpeg

IMG_0135.jpeg

IMG_0137.jpeg
Stunning color and the same as mine which hopefully arrives in 6 days. Please keep us posted as to your charging experience. Like you, I too have a Tesla wall charger with a TeslaTap.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
The TeslaTap works pretty well but there are two limitations pushing me to install a NEMA.

1. It’s very hard to plug in and remove the Tesla plug.
2. In our garage setup the cable dragging around the wife’s car kinda sucks.

It does most definitely charge reliably though.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Do you disconnect your TT from the Tesla want frequently? I just leave mine connected all the time since the Taycan is the only EV now.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Do you disconnect your TT from the Tesla want frequently? I just leave mine connected all the time since the Taycan is the only EV now.
Yes, my wife has a Model 3 and still needs it.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
ahhh the multi-ev household - recommend you consider installing two chargers - ClipperCreek makes some “share2” chargers -these chargers can “share” a single breaker - when two EV’s are charging they split the load - when one EV is charging it gets the “full” load - it will make things much much easier and can be installed on different sides of the garage for better cable management.

the ClipperCreek chargers will also charge the Tesla via the J-1772 adapter Tesla provides to every owner…

I own multiple EV’s also and couldn’t function with out my “shared” load EV chargers - it just makes things soooo much simpler.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
ahhh the multi-ev household - recommend you consider installing two chargers - ClipperCreek makes some “share2” chargers -these chargers can “share” a single breaker - when two EV’s are charging they split the load - when one EV is charging it gets the “full” load - it will make things much much easier and can be installed on different sides of the garage for better cable management.

the ClipperCreek chargers will also charge the Tesla via the J-1772 adapter Tesla provides to every owner…

I own multiple EV’s also and couldn’t function with out my “shared” load EV chargers - it just makes things soooo much simpler.
Absolutely the plan. The TeslaTap is a stopgap until the electrician shows up the 30th. We have enough breaker capacity for this NeMA 14-50 and after that we are done, they say!

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
The TeslaTap works pretty well but there are two limitations pushing me to install a NEMA.

1. It’s very hard to plug in and remove the Tesla plug.
2. In our garage setup the cable dragging around the wife’s car kinda sucks.

It does most definitely charge reliably though.
My Tesla tap came with some lube and recommended using it because of anticipated tight fit