RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
I’m about to embark upon my first road trip tomorrow in the Taycan. It’s also my first EV road trip. I’d love to get some tips and advice from experienced Taycan road trippers here.

It’s about 175 miles out. I’m planning to stay for about an hour and a half, have lunch, pick up our son and return home about 175 miles back. The destination has one J-1772 plug, two NEMA 14-50s and a two Tesla charges, but I don’t have a Tesla Tap converter. I have the Performance battery. My full change usually says I have about 300 miles of range, though its never been calculated after all highway driving. I just signed up for Porsche Intel Range Manager. There seems to be an abundant number of chargers along the journey.

One question I have is how long should it take to charge back up from say 15% to 100% on the J-1772 charger? If I’m stuck using their NEMA 14-50s how long will that take?

Thanks for any advice!
my first road trip was marked by difficulty disconnecting the plug using the button near the plug. As a hint, if that happens, use the charging tab on your console to access the disconnect option.
Sponsored

Edax Rerum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
First, I'm just going to say daveo4ev is an incredible resource. I would've given you all the same advice, but he's been driving EVs a lot longer than I have.

Second, you likely won't experience this issue, but I keep bumping into it. It's so convenient to not use the key fob for anything, I sometimes forget that you still need to have it near the car to successfully unplug. I've forgotten that a couple times (once in my garage, once on the road where I asked my girlfriend to unplug the car...it didn't work until I was near the car).

OP
OP
tfurbay

tfurbay

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, BMW X5
Country flag
First, I'm just going to say daveo4ev is an incredible resource. I would've given you all the same advice, but he's been driving EVs a lot longer than I have.

Second, you likely won't experience this issue, but I keep bumping into it. It's so convenient to not use the key fob for anything, I sometimes forget that you still need to have it near the car to successfully unplug. I've forgotten that a couple times (once in my garage, once on the road where I asked my girlfriend to unplug the car...it didn't work until I was near the car).
I just want to say “thank you” to all here for your incredibly helpful advise. It is amazing to come back to this post and see all these friendly tips. So collegial! Looking forward to diving into all this and the pre-trip planning tonight. Thanks.

Reactions: vdr

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
I just want to say “thank you” to all here for your incredibly helpful advise. It is amazing to come back to this post and see all these friendly tips. So collegial! Looking forward to diving into all this and the pre-trip planning tonight. Thanks.
What I did, go to electrify America website, plan the route from the map, put it in the Porsche nav, (put it in sport mode 5 miles before charging, for fast charging) by doing this, my trip from New Jersey to Kentucky I never stopped for more than 15 minutes at a time. Also change to a 150 kw charger if you get a slow 350 charger, happy travels :)

dwaltchack

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor, ordered TCT Turbo
Country flag
It will take many hours on an L2 charger. If you cannot find a high speed ccs charger you should reconsider the trip
I absolutely love how 'to the point' you are. that's the right answer, don't use it.
Sponsored