First high speed charging experience (350kW) in Vancouver BC Area. (feat. Petro-Canada)

Shawnwama

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - Frozen Berry, BMW X1 (F48)
Country flag
I had enough range to come back my home, but PCM navigation made me to stop over DC Fast charger (350kW) because "minimum SoC percentage" option was enabled. :facepalm:

The charger/Taycan failed to initialize the charging process a few times, but finally accepted it.
The maximum charging speed was recorded as 190kW, but it only took 4 minutes from 9% to 25%.
I am not sure why it couldn't take 250kW, I assume because my Taycan A/C is not working.

The cost was amazingly cheap, just $1.

Porsche Taycan First high speed charging experience (350kW) in Vancouver BC Area. (feat. Petro-Canada) IMG_4709
Porsche Taycan First high speed charging experience (350kW) in Vancouver BC Area. (feat. Petro-Canada) IMG_4710

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I had enough range to come back my home, but PCM navigation made me to stop over DC Fast charger (350kW) because "minimum SoC percentage" option was enabled. :facepalm:

The charger/Taycan failed to initialize the charging process a few times, but finally accepted it.
The maximum charging speed was recorded as 190kW, but it only took 4 minutes from 9% to 25%.
I am not sure why it couldn't take 250kW, I assume because my Taycan A/C is not working.

IMG_4709.jpeg
IMG_4710.jpeg
You will never get the full possible charge from these devices (270kW from a 350kW EVSE) for all sorts of reasons (nothing to do with A/C).

Ambient temperature, battery temp, battery preconditioning, battery SOC, physical limitations of the EVSE (may be throttled back, load balanced, other).

yucatown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I’ve had my taycan for a year and I’ve never used a charging station. I’ve been exclusively charging it at home. Question from a noob, did you simply plug in the charger to your car to get the process going, or are there additional steps to take?

thanks.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I’ve had my taycan for a year and I’ve never used a charging station. I’ve been exclusively charging it at home. Question from a noob, did you simply plug in the charger to your car to get the process going, or are there additional steps to take?

thanks.
Plug and play. Use the DC port (passenger side) for rapid charging.

You may need an RFID card form the provider or use their app to initiate the charge. Check it out in advance.

OP
OP
Shawnwama

Shawnwama

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - Frozen Berry, BMW X1 (F48)
Country flag

thanks.
Some charging stations work with "Plug and Play (charge)", but mostly not working in my area (Vancouver BC).

I had to tap my credit card to activate the the charging process.
  1. Tap a credit card to activate the charger
  2. Plug to vehicle
  3. Wait for initializing, I am guessing some data is transferred between a vehicle and charger. failed a few times and and to start from step 1.
  4. Charging, the progress is shown both vehicle and charger.

kailifish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag

Check if you have the "Battery Optimization" box checked in your charging options. This limits the max charging speed throughout the curve to protect your battery's long term health. I don't remember the exact wording in the PCM, but its right down the menu when you go through charging options. My experience is having this checked, if never goes above 190, and stays at 150 for most of the charge.

ntmatter

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan, 2001 HMMWV M1123A2
Country flag

thanks.
There are some small additional steps to take, mainly you'll need to put an app on your phone for that network and create an account linked to a credit card for payment. In the Pacific Northwest I mainly see Electrify America and ChargePoint stations, so I have an account with each. With EA you can link to your Porsche account and generally get free charging for the first 3 years.

This is NOT a difficult process, so don't stress about it. Worst case is you create an account which takes 3 minutes before it starts charging, then it's done forever. The chargers will have touch screens that help you walk through everything, no problem.

ntmatter

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan, 2001 HMMWV M1123A2
Country flag
I was at 7% and hit a 350Kw station, I was at 35% by the time I got my order in at the adjoining McDonalds, about 55% by the time my happy meal arrived, and 100% by the time I was back to the car. Crazy fast, and completely alleviated my range anxiety for long trips as the whole process is so frictionless.

In terms of cost, I still find many free charging stations out there that I believe are municipally funded, so the amount of 3rd party money I've spent on electricity is small. For the fast chargers, since I've only used Electrify America and those have always been free (for now, for me) with the Taycan.
Sponsored