jvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ice Grey CT4
Country flag
Is this really a surprise? China has a long history of look-a-like cars.
No, not a surprise at all. Just thought this one was particularly relevant and shameless. Geely wants to be a global player, but can't quite move on.

Schn3ll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera e-hybrid, 2018 Carrera T, 2012 Volt
Country flag
I'm sure the quality will be sublime...

4EVer

First Name
Viv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S, iD3 Pro S, E-Up!
Country flag
No, not a surprise at all. Just thought this one was particularly relevant and shameless. Geely wants to be a global player, but can't quite move on.
“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”

Don’t forget it’s how the Japanese car makers started in their quest to dominate. I believe Toyota in particular have done reasonably well in the USA..

I'm sure the quality will be sublime...
I appreciate your comment is somewhat sarcastic but don’t forget that all Apple products are made in China. Geely makes the Polestar which IMO is way ahead of the American built
Teslas in terms of quality.

The Chinese manufacturer to watch in the ‘luxury’ segment is NIO. Coming to your shores soon..

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Not to get too political, but it's one thing for Americans to buy products from American companies that are made in China and quite another to get them to buy Chinese cars when there are viable alternatives. It's not exactly cold war levels of antipathy, but we could well get there soon.

Schn3ll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not to get too political, but it's one thing for Americans to buy products from American companies that are made in China and quite another to get them to buy Chinese cars when there are viable alternatives. It's not exactly cold war levels of antipathy, but we could well get there soon.
This x100.

I am assuming that 4EVer has not actually ever worked in product development to know what the dichotomy of designed in US and made in China vs. designed in China and made in China.

I am in product development, and pre-Covid would go to China for weeks at a time roughly 3x a year. I have an intimate knowledge of Chinese manufacturing and have been in many Chinese made cars. Sorry, but you have zero clue what you are talking about.

4EVer

First Name
Viv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S, iD3 Pro S, E-Up!
Country flag
This x100.

I am assuming that 4EVer has not actually ever worked in product development to know what the dichotomy of designed in US and made in China vs. designed in China and made in China.

I am in product development, and pre-Covid would go to China for weeks at a time roughly 3x a year. I have an intimate knowledge of Chinese manufacturing and have been in many Chinese made cars. Sorry, but you have zero clue what you are talking about.
It seems I’ve touched a nerve here but make no apology as I also have a fairly intimate knowledge of Chinese manufacturing since my business has been buying from China since 2006. Most of the emerging Chinese EV startups (of which there are many) that pose such a threat to western legacy automakers have hired some of the best automotive design talent from Europe and the US.

Bury your head in the sand if you will but I can assure you that there will be an influx of nice looking, well designed, affordable, and well made EVs in Europe and the US within the next five years. They will bear no resemblance to the (presumably crappy) Chinese cars to which you make reference in your post.

Schn3ll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You have been buying product from China since 2006? Whoa. You know who else has?

Every human on earth.

You could tattoo my post on your arm, but clearly you do not understand how Chinese companies work that are not governed or dictated to by foreign countries. Buying some products does not equate to an understanding of how their country handles the most complex consumer goods on earth when left to their own devices.
Sponsored